Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

AB Colibri Grip Cutter Review

This is a discussion on AB Colibri Grip Cutter Review within the Cigar Accessory Reviews forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; ...

AB Colibri Grip Cutter Review

Item: Alec Bradley Colibri Grip Cutter

MSRP: $39.00

Price Paid: $7.00 via CigarBid.com

Name:  m-clxgcut19.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  16.2 KB

Website Description: This cutter is impressive, all around. Easy to look at and a joy to use, the Colibri Grip features a solid case, ergonomic design, and two razor sharp stainless steel blades. Quickly cut any cigar with this well-made cutter thatís destined to become one of your favorite cigar toys.

This cutter is not impressive. At all. I purchased this thinking it was an upgrade from the generic guillotine I had. The AB logo was a bonus, as I am not a fanboy, nor do I dislike Alec Bradley. Iíve had some good and some bad Bradley cigars. The overall color and logo scheme is nice though. Clean and simple. However, I draw the line where the product description calls this cutter ďa joy to use.Ē

The cutter is easy enough to hold, but the blades are far from razor sharp. This cutter more pinches at the cap than clips it. I would say nearly 50% of the cigars I have cut with it have suffered from its butter knife like guillotine blades.

Perhaps I got a bad one, as I have heard some good things about Colibri. My thoughts are that maybe they send seconds to CBid and other companies, so that the after-market logos can be added as a novelty. While some accoutrement, like lighters, can still be functional despite a low price, I found out that cutters are not something you should skimp on. If you are a fan of one of the brands which are put on this cutter and you see it as more of a display piece, by all means, pick one up. However, if you are looking for a cutter that provides a neat, sharp clip, stay away.
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

Re: AB Colibri Grip Cutter Review

Nope. I got a Diesel logo one and the blades on my generic double guillotine make the Colibri look like a plastic picnic knife DO NOT waste your money, not even worth the 7 I paid

No longer a community member.

I have one.

Not great but for the money, it's a great cutter to throw in the glove box or tackle box!

I totally agree with this review. I found that any of the branded Colibri Grip Cutters i have used are junk. (I have not tried any of their higher end cutters) They feel and look nice but when it comes time to use them i reach for my cheap plastic guillotine cutter that i got from my local B&M. The Blades on the Colibri Cutter are just way too thick and dull to actually do any good.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    I have one.

Not great but for the money, it's a great cutter to throw in the glove box or tackle box!
    Ditto. Great golf bag cutter, but get a nice Xikar you won't regret it.

I was wondering about those. Thanks, Laynard, and to all who weighed in!

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

I have 3 of these, I think 2 were freebies and 1 was 5 or 7 bucks on the devil site. They are worth free, but not a dollar more IMHO.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Newbie in the ocean bigdawgbeav's Avatar

Thanks for the review... was looking at one of those and I think I'm better off with a Xikar that comes with a lifetime warranty....

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    Thanks for the review... was looking at one of those and I think I'm better off with a Xikar that comes with a lifetime warranty....
    Absolutely, Palio makes a fine cutter also.

Newbie in the ocean bigdawgbeav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tgs679 View Post
    Absolutely, Palio makes a fine cutter also.
    Have heard that as well....

Yes. Yes you are. I use Xikar nearly exclusively. I only use something else when I punch. Both my guillotine and v-cut is Xikar. But, that's because I'm cheap and haven't ponied up the dough for a Palio...yet.
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

Have heard that as well....
    Oh I also forgot the "Cuban Crafter Perfect Cutter" it's great cheap and lifetime guarantee. The black resin one is like 7 bucks.

Young Fish

I bought one of those 2 months ago and it is the worst cutter on the market lol!! I m using my cheap metal one instead that i received for free and have for like 10 years now . My colibri cutter blades are dull and making shitty cut ... I ll def put the extra money on a xikar