Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Don Salvatore "Aficionado" Humidor Video Review

This is a discussion on Don Salvatore "Aficionado" Humidor Video Review within the Cigar Accessory Reviews forums, part of the Cigar Accessory Discussion category; The Don Salvatore "Aficionado" 90-100ct Humidor External Dimensions: 9 7/8"W x 12"D x 13 3/4"H Drawer Dimensions: 7 9/16"W x ...

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Don Salvatore "Aficionado" Humidor Video Review

The Don Salvatore "Aficionado" 90-100ct Humidor

External Dimensions:

• 9 7/8"W x 12"D x 13 3/4"H

Drawer Dimensions:
    • 7 9/16"W x 7 5/8"D x 1 7/8"H

(I found it for $222.50 shipped)

Please bear with me through the many of the "ums" & "uhs" littered throughout, and yes, I certainly need to clean my humidor, as there were a few pieces of bead debris in the bottom and the outside could definitely use a wipe down (so many fingerprints!)
    Last edited by SeanTheEvans; 03-30-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    Looks like we've moved on!
    Visit all of us over at www.********.com!

Re: Don Salvatore "Aficionado" Humidor Video Review

Love the styling! Congrats.

I have a small DS, most likely what would be called a travelling humidor. The fit and finish on every DS I have seen is excellent.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Newbie in the ocean

Sean,
    Thanks for the great video review. I be leave it am about to get this unit. I was wondering if you still like this humidor and would still recommend this humidor. I am looking for something just a little bigger as I am just starting out from a small box to my next humidor. The 300 to 400 seems like lots of work to maintain and a little much for me at this stage. I like the front door because I will set on a tower book shelf, so front door seems the best. This type humidor seems to be the best quality I have found with a front door , glass not plastic, and cedar wood not partial board or lined cedar. And with the small space I hope it is easy to keep 70% humidity and door seal is still great. Any remarks good or bad would be wonderful. Also I am always welcome to any advise as i am going from novice to amateur.
    Thanks for you time
    Smashingbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Smashingbuck View Post
    Sean,
    Thanks for the great video review. I be leave it am about to get this unit. I was wondering if you still like this humidor and would still recommend this humidor. I am looking for something just a little bigger as I am just starting out from a small box to my next humidor. The 300 to 400 seems like lots of work to maintain and a little much for me at this stage. I like the front door because I will set on a tower book shelf, so front door seems the best. This type humidor seems to be the best quality I have found with a front door , glass not plastic, and cedar wood not partial board or lined cedar. And with the small space I hope it is easy to keep 70% humidity and door seal is still great. Any remarks good or bad would be wonderful. Also I am always welcome to any advise as i am going from novice to amateur.
    Thanks for you time
    Smashingbuck
    I would still highly recommend this humidor to anyone who liked it's style. I'm actually going to be getting rid of my other box humidor as soon as my wineador is up and running. Just love the organizational opportunities that drawers provide!

It holds humidity like a high-end humi. Probably because all the drawers are solid spanish cedar, so literally your cigars are being cradled in the stuff.

The one major flaw is the lack of an adjustable hygrometer. Mine was off from the start, so it's never correct. I just know by how much, so as long as it stays consistent, I don't worry. I used to test it internally with two caliber IVs, but it was always dead-on, so I just stopped once I realized that between the solid humi construction and reliability of HF Beads there was no need.

Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase, and if you have any other questions, let me know.

Newbie in the ocean

Sean,
    Sorry to keep bothering you, with what you must think are silly questions, but I just placed order for humidor and I am sure I am just complicating things however. Would you recommend any other items to get this humidor for setting up and running easy and quickly. I have jugs of distilled water, humi-care crystal bead jar (1) and a digital humi-care hygrometer. I know there are seasoning kits and gels and all kind of odds and ends. I figured I would sponge down inside twice with distilled water and place (3) shot glasses of distilled water for a week check humidity then start moving the beads and cigars over then. So my question is how long will it take to season or get humidly set in a humidor of this size? Do you recommend getting more crystal beads, take out the insides of the 2 humistats and replace with something else. Just wondering what else to purchase for this humidor so I can get up and running quickly, along with preventing any of my inexperienced mistakes.
    Thanks again
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Smashingbuck View Post
    Sean,
    Sorry to keep bothering you, with what you must think are silly questions, but I just placed order for humidor and I am sure I am just complicating things however. Would you recommend any other items to get this humidor for setting up and running easy and quickly. I have jugs of distilled water, humi-care crystal bead jar (1) and a digital humi-care hygrometer. I know there are seasoning kits and gels and all kind of odds and ends. I figured I would sponge down inside twice with distilled water and place (3) shot glasses of distilled water for a week check humidity then start moving the beads and cigars over then. So my question is how long will it take to season or get humidly set in a humidor of this size? Do you recommend getting more crystal beads, take out the insides of the 2 humistats and replace with something else. Just wondering what else to purchase for this humidor so I can get up and running quickly, along with preventing any of my inexperienced mistakes.
    Thanks again
    Kevin
    http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...humi-stop.html

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...w-humidor.html

Those are the essentials as to how to properly season a humidor, straight from the experts. There is a lot of wood in here, so it will take a relatively long period of time.

Never directly wet the inside of your humidor with DW or anything else. It can cause swelling and warping that will ruin your seal and trash the humi. You can use a damp rag with DW on the drawers themselves, as they should be fine, but don't soak them either. You want the whole process to happen slowly over time. That's key.

Personally I wouldn't use humi-care beads, HF only in my book. I removed the beads of whatever was in each of the two original humidifiers that came with the unit and filled each halfway with HF beads. As stated in the video though, I only actually use the one, outside of the drawers, as the other requires space (and less cigar storage) in the top tray to fit in correctly.

To go back even farther, have you calibrated/checked the hygrometer? If not, buy a Boveda and check it.

It will take 2 weeks (or more) to fully season this humidor.

Never a problem with questions, only a problem when you don't ask them and run into, well... problems.

Newbie in the ocean

Sean,
    Thanks for all the valuable info. By HF Beads I assume you mean Heartfelt Industries beads? Also all info I have seen thus far states use a brand new sponge, wet sponge using distilled water wipe down the inside of humidor. How ever I like your advise much better. If Heartfelt Industries are the ones you are referring too. I will be getting some soon.
    Thanks