Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Meatcake's Take: Flor De Las Antillas by My Father

This is a discussion on Meatcake's Take: Flor De Las Antillas by My Father within the Cigar News, Cigar Videos, Cigar Reviews, Cigar Interviews, etc. forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Flor de las Antillas Belicoso (by My Father) Size: 5.5x52 W rapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown Binder: Nicaraguan Filler: Nicaraguan Strength: ...

Alpha Puffer Fish

Meatcake's Take: Flor De Las Antillas by My Father

Flor de las Antillas Belicoso (by My Father)

Size: 5.5x52
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun Grown
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Strength: Medium to Full

The Set up:
    Chilling with friends
    Drinking water
    Smoke time: 1 hour 40min
    Sorry for the quality of the pics, I was not at home, so had to use my cell phone.

Pre-Light:
    The Flor de las Antillas is a great looking cigar with a beautiful wrapper, great band (along with a red cloth foot band ribbon for good measure) and a nice oily shine. It has what seems to be a slightly rounded box press and fits nicely in the hand.
    Cold draw brings notes of cedar and (at least to me) oddly enough pine nuts. There is also a hint of black pepper behind it that hits you at the back of the throat but come on, its Don Pepin, when isn’t that there to get ya!

1st Third:
    As expected, the first third is full of spice and notes of cedar/oak. There is a hint of nuttiness dancing around in the background and even a hint of earth. No pine nuts though, I think that was just my palate messing with me. The pepper normally associated with DP cigars is there but mostly in the background. It doesn’t kick the palate like some of the other DP cigars. The smoke is thick and white (great for smoke rings) and the ash on the cigar is nice and white. Ash held on for the 1st third and the burn line was just fine.

Retrohale:
    I expected more Pepper on the retrohale but got mostly the cedar and earth.

2nd Third:
    Hmm..not much is changing here. I would have thought by now maybe some espresso or cocoa would come into play but the 2nd third, is very much like the first. Not a bad thing as it is a full flavored cigar with a medium body to it, but you expect a bit more of a journey from a My Father cigar. There is a nice creaminess to the 2nd third that does lend some complexity but nothing that blows your socks off.

Retrohale:
    Retrohale was just more of the same, with more pepper stepping in.

Last Third:
    Okay, now the cocoa notes are stepping into play but the pepper is also back in full force which squashes the cocoa notes with a vigor akin to Edward Norton's infamous "American History X" curb stomp. This is the DP you expect. The cedar is also up front on the palate making this a pepper/wood bomb. The ash is still holding on nicely, the burn is still fairly sharp and the draw on this belicoso is pretty darn good.

Retrohale:

Pepper and Cedar all the way.

Final Thoughts:
    The Flor De Las Antillas is not what I was expecting. I was expecting an experience on par with say a My Father Le Bejiou 1922, but this is a different cigar and it is doing its own thing. While the flavor profile wasn’t as complex as I would have liked, it still is a tasty cigar. Running at about $7 a stick I could think of a few other cigars I would grab for before this one though. I would have to say between Awesome and Crap, this falls in the MEH category because it’s never bad, never great, just there. If you haven’t tried one, and see a good deal on one, why not grab one and make up your own mind.
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Alpha Puffer Fish

Re: Meatcake's Take: Flor De Las Antillas by My Father

Enjoyable read Meattard
    The vermin SOTL bomber is back, have a nice day!....

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

thanks for the great review. been wondering about these and trying to read before i buy.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jurgenph's Avatar

i smoked one of the two that i have a while ago, and i decided to let the other one rest a few months. i think it has potential, but not when fresh.

J.

Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenph View Post
    i smoked one of the two that i have a while ago, and i decided to let the other one rest a few months. i think it has potential, but not when fresh.
    J.
    Mine had about 2 months on it. Picked it up at B&M, not sure how long it was on the shelf there.
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Thanks for the review. I had one of these recently and really enjoyed it. I'm curious what other cigars you mentioned in the $7~ range that you'd go to before one of these. Thanks!

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Thanks for taking the time to post up your review!

I picked up a 5pk at a My Father event. The 5pk had several different vitolas. I haven't really jumped into the My Father brand much at all and need to go ahead and lite one of these up. After reading your review I hope to have a some what better experience based on my sticks resting well over 6 months now! i just flat out forgot about the dang things!

Thanks again!

Still can't see how this was rated #1 by CA.
    Veni Vidi Vici

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I haven't seen one review yet that said that said these were awesome, or well worth the rating. I like the My Father cigars, and probably have 10-12 hanging around, but not this one. Might have to grab one just for the heck of it.

Nice Review. I tried one recently which I picked up at a local Tinder Box (Raleigh, NC). I didn't get all the nuances you mentioned, but then again, I never do with any smoke. My overall impression however was that it looked great, felt good, was well-constructed, burned evenly and was medium-bodied with a not atypical improvement in richness along the way, and enjoyable right down to the nub. Overall, a very worthy $7-$8 cigar in my opinion, and one I would add a supply of next to my Avo Domaines. Next up soon will be a Warlock robusto, 9th in CA's ratings for 2011.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Hummm, my buddy raves about them but I haven't tried one yet.
    May have to jump down to one of the local B&M's and grab two.

I found them to be quite enjoyable but not amazing. Certainly not worth the top spot imo.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

picked up some the other day at JR's. Buy 5 get one free. They are resting now, awaiting my lighter!!!!

Got a few sitting in my humi for the past 2 months, can't wait.

Got one of these in a sampler. Smoked it today. You pretty much nailed it. There's others I have tried that I like better. But I wouldn't mind having another in my Humi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast