Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

5 Vegas Gold maduro

This is a discussion on 5 Vegas Gold maduro within the Cigar News, Cigar Videos, Cigar Reviews, Cigar Interviews, etc. forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Bought a five pack of these and put them to rest. 7 months @63% rh. Smoked one last night with ...

5 Vegas Gold maduro

Bought a five pack of these and put them to rest. 7 months @63% rh. Smoked one last night with a friend.

Started out great. Looked good and smelled good. The first inch was quite tasty and then... both our cigars went out. It didn't tunnel or burn unevenly it just died.

The cigar couldn't develop into anything as from then on it required constant attention and re-lights. I gave up half way and threw it out as it was truly a struggle.

I smoke many different cigars out of the same humidor and they ALL burn exceptionally well except for this one. I don't know what the problem could be but I can tell you I'd NEVER recommend this cigar to anyone. The worst burn I've ever experienced.

I rate this one..."unsmokable"

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: 5 Vegas Gold maduro

ouch, i have yet to try a single 5 vegas

Full grown Puffer Fish SilverStreak's Avatar

I actually had the same problem but I only had mines down to rest for about 3 months when I lit them up... Strangely enough, the 5 Vegas Gold Connecticut didn't give me any burn problems at all.
    Torpedo, torpedo, torpedo!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Isaac's Avatar

I tried my first one today after reading this thread. I was smoking it while driving into work. I had the exact oppisite experience! It started to cannoe a little a few times, but quickly corrected itself. Had a nice little cherry on the tip until the last 2 inches when the tip flattened out but kept burning. Will definitly be trying more of both the maduro AND the rest of the Vegas line. Great smoke for the $2 I bought it for off the Devil Site!

p.s. :I only rested it for about 2 weeks. But who knows how long it was kicking around the CI/CBid warehouse!?
    This party never started and will never end, it has always been and will always be.

Young Puffer Fish

Similar to Isaac for me. Never had a burn problem with any of the 5 vegas I have smoked but they haven't spent more than a month in my humidor. Pretty good smokes for the price.

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your experience Don. I've smoked a box of these. Construction has been decent on them. Some uneven burn lines but nothing remarkable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Flavors are good. Kinda "classic" maduro with dark chocolate and coffee. Just goes to show, endless variation in these handmade products and natural materials.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Puffer Fish with some spikes marc in nola's Avatar

Glad I read this. I just ordered a couple of singles, so I'll make sure to rest them a few weeks before busting up. Sorry you had that bad experience!

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

I don't care for the flavor on those, and I do recall them going out quite a bit on me. I like the regular gold quite a bit though.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

StraightUpCigars.com Straight Up Cigars's Avatar

I have this down as a medium body cigar, with some minor burn issues on my review sticks. They aren't very complex or sensational, but I don't think they're made to be either. I view these as an entry level maduro cigar.
    Cigar reviews and info at StraightUpCigars.com!

Full grown Puffer Fish Regiampiero's Avatar

I had a very similar experience with the gold maduro. In my case they didn't die, but the burn was quite uneven and the draw was very tough. At the time I blamed it on the 48 ring gauge Churchill size (Packed too tight), and gave the whole box away (Only 2 left) at a golf outing. I'm curious if the size was the real issue, maybe I'll light one tomorrow and see if a couple of years did anything to them.

Who of you guys has smoked the Churchill?

StraightUpCigars.com Straight Up Cigars's Avatar

Not me, my review sticks were all of the robusto variety.
    Cigar reviews and info at StraightUpCigars.com!

Puffer Fish with some spikes jakecartier3's Avatar

The only cigar from 5 Vegas I've had is the Gold Connecticut, but I have the Gold Maduro and the Cask Strength in my humi as well and they've been resting for about 9 months now. Hopefully when I decide to pull them out I don't have the same experience that you did!

I bought a box of the Churchills on Cbid for cheap after a good experience with a 5 pack. The issue they have is the filler tobacco seems to have alot of moisture trapped. Doing an anti-beetle freeze/thaw cycle wipes that out although it takes a few weeks for cigars to recover from that process. Let em sit nice and dry at 65 for three weeks after and they become a good entry level maduro. Toasted cocoa with cream, singular dimension in terms of flavor but its consistent. The Churchill is a great morning cigar with coffee, don't even feel bad about chucking it if I have to leave ( I got the price point in the $1.40 range) it early.

Puffer Fish with some spikes LueyC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dracop View Post
    I bought a box of the Churchills on Cbid for cheap after a good experience with a 5 pack. The issue they have is the filler tobacco seems to have alot of moisture trapped. Doing an anti-beetle freeze/thaw cycle wipes that out although it takes a few weeks for cigars to recover from that process. Let em sit nice and dry at 65 for three weeks after and they become a good entry level maduro. Toasted cocoa with cream, singular dimension in terms of flavor but its consistent. The Churchill is a great morning cigar with coffee, don't even feel bad about chucking it if I have to leave ( I got the price point in the $1.40 range) it early.
    Thanks for the tip, I will go ahead and try the freeze/thaw cycle on the ones I have. I have tried 3 in the robusto size and have had burn problems with all 3. I mean I can tell the flavor is there, but the burn issues make it far to distracting. And I am bound and determined figure these things out. I like the 5 Vegas lines from what I have tried, especially for the prices you can get them at cbid.

Maturing Puffer Fish

i haven't had one yet but that's probably because iv heard nothing but terrible things about them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast