Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gran Habano vintage 2002 Robusto

This is a discussion on Gran Habano vintage 2002 Robusto within the Cigar News, Cigar Videos, Cigar Reviews, Cigar Interviews, etc. forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I bought a five pack of these after reading positive comments. Not believing that it's fair to evaluate a cigar ...

Gran Habano vintage 2002 Robusto

I bought a five pack of these after reading positive comments.

Not believing that it's fair to evaluate a cigar by smoking just one, I gave it three attempts before making judgement.

After letting them rest for 6 months @63RH I figured they should be ready.

On the first one I found it to have too tight of a draw with very little smoke out-put. The smoke I did get was not very interesting at all. Chalked it up as a mistake and waited a week to try the second one. This was exactly the same as the first. Not good.

I really wanted to like this cigar. It looks great and had high hopes.

Then after waiting another month it was time to try again. Two nights ago I lit my third one. The worst draw yet with very little smoke. The flavor is no where near tasting like aged tobacco.The suggestion of a vintage cigar is a joke. I wish I could comment on the flavors present but the experience was so bad the cigar was literally unsmokable. It went out on it's own less than half way through.

I gave it a fair shot by smoking three cigars. Three strikes and your out. All I can say is these were BAD.

On a scale of one to ten... 0
    That's right!!! A big fat goose egg. If these were the only cigars on the planet I wouldn't smoke cigars anymore. They were all three HORRIBLE. Save your money.

BTW...I gave the other two away and actually felt guilty giving my friend such a miserable cigar.

Re: Gran Habano vintage 2002 Robusto

I'll have to agree with your review, I have tried 2 so far and have been very disappointed with the draw and lack of flavor.

Only the the wrapper is considered vintage

Habano-seed long-fillers from Nicaragua and Dominican but it boasts a juicy Nicaraguan-grown Corojo wrapper leaf cultivated back in 2002, one which has enjoyed an extended cedar-nap for the past 8 years.

Do Not believe a single word UBAH post, His life is in your hands. If the Elites find out you know what UBAH knows, UBAH will be up a creek without Eggs.

I guess each one is different. I bet yors were rolled on a monday or friday.LOL. i just got done smoking one of these and had no draw issues. a little wonky burn but what do you expect for 2.20 a stick. it is a decent little cigar but nothing to write home over. sorry yours sucked, or actually didnt.
    Pissing people off since 1973! And getting better at it everyday.

I've haven't had any problems with these, in fact, the one's I've smoked put out tons of smoke! I only wish I could get more for the $1 a stick I paid for the last ones I got. They seem to be getting more expensive.

Puffer Fish with many spikes ACasazza's Avatar

I had one of these over the weekend and I would have to say my experience was similar to yours. Draw was incredibly too tight.
    **Just starting out in this new world of cigars, any and all advice is welcome!**

The draw problems are a reality for budget-priced sticks. Batches are inconsistent, and quality isn't top priority all of the time. You can find examples from nearly every company that have tight draw, but your odds dramatically increase with budget sticks.

The last mazo I bought was last fall. Hopefully their tobacco quality hasn't plummeted. I did find them a pretty good smoke, and so did the others who I shared them with. GHV2002's specifically invoked the pronouncement "this is a good cigar."
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Very disappointed to hear your story. I for one have really enjoyed these sticks. Perhaps next time I light one up if I have the similar good experiences I normally do I will send you one of mine so you may experience what I have regarding an above average budget stick.

Update on the Vintage 2002, smoked my third one which has been aging for a over a year in my humidor at 67rh.

The first couple of these stogies were very disappointing to say the least. Had a hard time getting past the halfway point IMHO.

Tried a third one tonight and the draw did improve a little and this cigar will hold an ash for over 2 inches but the flavor just didn't agree with me, it was very dry and dull.

The wrapper is awesome IMHO, I like to save my wrappers in a special humidor that I reserve for the butt wrappers. when I feel like something special I will combine different wrappers into a 100% wrapper (Leaf) mini cigar or sometimes I'll add my own special filler. The Vintage 2002 leafs are absolutely awesome by themselves as I combined the three I had and Really enjoyed the extra smooth smoke it created.

Sometime you just have to think outside of the box to discover something special.

Do Not believe a single word UBAH post, His life is in your hands. If the Elites find out you know what UBAH knows, UBAH will be up a creek without Eggs.

Young Puffer Fish soxnationsmoker's Avatar

I would agree with your review. I did not even give this stick 3 chances. I had two after my father insisted it was a good / budget smoke. I only smoked half of the 2nd one so honestly only took 1 1/2 sticks for me to decide these were not rolled for me.

I have not experienced any draw issues with these. Sorry to hear they are not agreeing with you. I've smoked about 1/2 of a bundle of 20 I got last month and I really enjoy them. I have had the draw issue with some GH SLS sticks I got in the past, so I do understand that they have issues. Maybe a draw tool would help, but if you didn't like the taste then I guess just move on.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hubby's Avatar

Hmmm... Mixed reviews... Some good and some bad... Nice to hear both sides of the spectrum, especially since these are on my to buy list... I have seen what I think is a good deal on this on teh Devil site... Might just have to risk it and let em rest for a bit before we try the first ones... Thanks for the reviews guys!!
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

I enjoyed most of mine, from a bundle purchased over 1yr ago. A couple had tight draws, and one canoed on me. The ones I shared with friends (not cigar fanatics) got a few compliments, but no one ever cornered me to find out where to get them. They still get a thumbs up for value in my book. They're usually what I grab after a late night out, when a more expensive stick wouldn't get the attention or appreciation it deserved.

I don't regret the purchase, but neither do I plan to order another bundle. This is mainly because my taste preferences have led me away from most Honduran tobacco.

Why do I gotta be Mr Pink dgold21's Avatar

I picked up a bundle of these based on positive feedback, figured if they were okay, they could be my yard gar at well under $2 a stick...but I've tried two so far and both have had tight draws. ..the first one I couldn't overcome and it was tossed within 15 minutes. The second one was not AS tight, but what I did get out of it was still not very passable. These are getting bumped out of the wineador into the cooler for giveaways...you shouldn't have to age a sub-two-buck cigar to make it smokable.

^^^^^^ Agreed

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dgold21 View Post
    ...you shouldn't have to age a sub-two-buck cigar to make it smokable.
    Since a lot of what you're paying for in premium cigars is aging time, I'd suggest that the only thing you COULD do to a sub 2 buck stick - or any stick for that matter - is age it to make it (more) smokable.

All the reviews on these I've ever read say they're no good ROTT - they need a year on them before they wake up.
    I gambled 30 bucks for a mazo of these and chucked them in the bottom of an ammodor in company with Oliva and Rock Patel.
    We'll see how they pan out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast