Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Smoked a 80 ring today

This is a discussion on Smoked a 80 ring today within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; Gotta love that split wrapper...

Re: Smoked a 80 ring today

Gotta love that split wrapper

No longer a community member.

True story about a Cottonmouth. I am from Louisiana (New Iberia). Those things are everywhere down there. They hang from trees over the water and sometimes just drop down into the water. My dad had just brought a brand new 19ft bass boat..First time we took it out. We were on Dog Lake back in a cove. Cottonmouth dropped into the boat. Now keep in mind, damn near everyone carries a pistol down there. Especially when fishing or anywhere near the water. My dad had, on his hip, a Ruger .22Mag revolver. That snaked dropped into his brand new boat about two feet from him. Without a second thought, he pulled that pistol out and shot it...putting a hole right threw his boat. That's how mean those things are. He would rather but a hole in a brand new boat than deal with one of those. The hole was easily patched underneath with a little fiberglass no big deal. But yeah...that's my favorite snake story..

Whoa, good story John.
    This Space For Rent

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoss View Post
    True story about a Cottonmouth. I am from Louisiana (New Iberia). Those things are everywhere down there. They hang from trees over the water and sometimes just drop down into the water.
    Blackwater Hattie lived back in the swamp
    Where strange, green reptiles crawl.
    Snakes hang thick from the cypress trees
    Like sausage on a smokehouse wall...
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmoss View Post
    True story about a Cottonmouth. ..

I would have done the same thing
    Why in the hell should I have to "Press 1 for English?"

We get a few of those hanging around our lakes. Not quite as big, but scary none the less. I've got a Crossman 8 shot .177 auto pellet pistol to deal with them and the Bufo toads.
    Being willing is not enough, we must do. - Leonardo da Vinci.

i -LOVE- snakes - only reason i dont have one currently is a stupid landlord (a temporary 1 year living situation, so its not worth the hassle) and id throw a grenade at a cottonmouth in my own car if that was my only defense vs it, those things are, at best "highly not interested in keeping you alive for very long"

Okay Water moccasin (Agkistrodon piscivorus) aren't very deadly. And they are NOT aggressive. They are not out there to kill you. If you happened to step by one or go near it, it will act defensively! This thread was really starting to bug me.

i must disagree - while there is a general "oh god a snake" thing that i hate - water moccasins (aka cottonmouth's) are definitely on the more aggressive side of pit vipers - they are one of only a few snakes documented to actively try and drive away human intruders - usually near banks of water (they are semi-aquatic)
    While they certainly "arent very deadly" id rather not have my limb swell, go tachycardic, vomit, develop diarehha, and be in a shitload of pain at the same time.

edit:
    looked it up quick - 42% of all documented snake bites in the US are from water moccasins
    Last edited by Zogg; 10-05-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    i must disagree - while there is a general "oh god a snake" thing that i hate - water moccasins (aka cottonmouth's) are definitely on the more aggressive side of pit vipers - they are one of only a few snakes documented to actively try and drive away human intruders - usually near banks of water (they are semi-aquatic)
    While they certainly "arent very deadly" id rather not have my limb swell, go tachycardic, vomit, develop diarehha, and be in a shitload of pain at the same time.

edit:
    looked it up quick - 42% of all documented snake bites in the US are from water moccasins

Aggressive and defensive are not the same thing by a long shot...taken from dictionary.com:

AGGRESSIVE
    Quote:
    1. characterized by or tending toward unprovoked offensives, attacks, invasions, or the like; militantly forward or menacing
    DEFENSIVE
    Quote:
    1. serving to defend; protective
    ok...now, that's not as good a definition as "aggressive" so let's look at the word "defend", from the American Heritage Dictionary via dictionary.com

DEFEND
    Quote:
    1. To make or keep safe from danger, attack, or harm.

There's a difference. Its a myth that they actively chase people. This has been debunk. No snake will go out of there way to bite people.

42% of all documented bite does not prove they are aggressive. All this tell us is that people are getting bit. That could be from any number of ways. Fairly common snakes ted to bite more people because,"There are more common!" Meaning your more likely to run into them. This snake has a very wide range so its not to surprising to hear a number like that given there defensive nature.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4