Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italian Toscano Cigars

This is a discussion on Italian Toscano Cigars within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; I just had someone take a few shots of some Italian cigars for my website, and some of them came ...

Toscano Cigar Importers MichaelH's Avatar

Italian Toscano Cigars

I just had someone take a few shots of some Italian cigars for my website, and some of them came out great! Here are a few that I liked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian Toscano Cigars-antico1.jpg   Italian Toscano Cigars-antico2.jpg   Italian Toscano Cigars-garibaldi.jpg  
    -Mike
    Founder and CEO, ItalianSmokes.com

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish KINGLISH's Avatar

Re: Italian Toscano Cigars

Those look yummy!!
    Smoke Em if you got em!!

Dom

I always wondered what was the deal w these. like are they flavored, machine made, whats the tobacco?

-Just looked on ur site, any info on the diff lines? are they like diff blends?
    Last edited by Dom; 02-22-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Toscano Cigar Importers MichaelH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I always wondered what was the deal w these. like are they flavored, machine made, whats the tobacco?

-Just looked on ur site, any info on the diff lines? are they like diff blends?
    Hi Dom,

Most of the Toscano cigars are my site are very strong. The Toscanello Aroma series and the Garibaldis are a little more mild than most.

Some of the cigars are blends of all Italian tobacco (Extravecchio, Classico), some are a mix of both Italian and American (Antica Riserva), and there are also some (the special Edition cigar: 1492 Anno Domini*) that use completely American tobacco that is imported to Italy to undergo the Toscano's unique construction progress.

The Originale, Originale Selected and a couple others are hand-rolled, while there are some that are machine-made (Toscanello).

The Italian tobacco is a Kentucky strain that was brought over to Italy a long time ago (before the 1800s), and due to the properties of Italian soil, it's taken on characteristics that are really unique. Tobacco used in these cigars is grown in Tuscany and Campania which help to differentiate the flavor even more.

I hope this helped, and if you have any more questions, please ask!

*I just received a small shipment of these, so I'll be running a limited offering soon.
    -Mike
    Founder and CEO, ItalianSmokes.com

Newbie in the ocean

Hello,

I just bought myself a pack of the Antiquas (cost me $20 for 5, not cheap here) and I'm gonna throw them all away.

It could have been a good cigar, but it REEKS of machine oil. Disgusting.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BamaDoc77's Avatar

Do you have the RamRod one? Damn tasty stick.
    "I am a doctor.....smoke 2 Padrons and call me in the morning."

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodent View Post
    Hello,

I just bought myself a pack of the Antiquas (cost me $20 for 5, not cheap here) and I'm gonna throw them all away.

It could have been a good cigar, but it REEKS of machine oil. Disgusting.
    HAHA, you funny. nice troll first post.
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

I have had these before, they were pretty strong in the power, not strong in the flavor...we also smoked the little one in a speed smoke contest at the Land Of Lincoln Herf II...stupid me won the contest.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by Shemp75 View Post
    HAHA, you funny. nice troll first post.
    Why, because you didn't like what I said?

Anyways, to elaborate: I bought a pack of 5 of those cigars. The package seems to be the same as shown in the picture in the first post. I bought them after doing some research on cigar forums, was looking for decent machine-made (relatively cheap) cigars.

So I was a little surprised, when I opened the pack, to get a flashback from my days in the army - The cigar had a very strong smell that was not of tobacco. I couldn't quite remember what it was, only that it had been very common on military bases. Then I remembered - grease. Seems they are soaked in it.

I did smoke half of one - underneath the overpowering grease smell it actually has some good qualities - burns well (perfect burn, even), excellent draw, not too loose, not too tight, might be even decent tobacco in there. But it was not enjoyable.

So, I dunno.... very disappointed. And I'm also interested to hear what other people have to say about this.

R>

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

Why, because you didn't like what I said?
    No, cause you just dug up a 2 year old thread when there were a few recent ones ( not 2 years old)

was looking for decent machine-made (relatively cheap) cigars
    Really? looking for a cheap machine-made cigar and you pick the Toscano? at $21 for a 5ER?
    you do know that you can get premium hand made cigars at that price point?

when I opened the pack, I get a flashback from my days in the army
    Any simple review search of this cigar will alert you of its strong aroma.
    I suggest you go seek medical help.

Try using the forums properly like introducing yourself first.
    "Before I bed you wench, have a look at my box of Glass top Cohibas!!"

Newbie in the ocean

Seems I owe you all an apology. I was mistaken about this cigar.
    The smell must be the result of some flavoring added to the tobacco, and it mellowed out considerably after a few days. This cigar is interesting and has some good qualities, however, not for me....

I'm taking a little break from the pipe-side to have one of these fine Italian cigars (more properly, cheroots).

There are flavoured varieties, but the most common are simply fermented Kentucky leaf. I've regularly smoked these for years and never came across any that smelled or tasted of anything part from tobacco, the flavoured ones aside. They have an interesting history. Their origin goes back to a shipment of Kentucky tobacco that accidentally got soaked and, rather than be simply discarded, was made into cheap cigars for local consumption. They were a hit and the fermentation started by the soaking was purposefully reproduced. They've been made that way for almost 200 years.

Dry, strong, highly flavoured, I smoke them cut in two - any more than that and I'd be on my back. Did I mention they were strong? Many different varieties, some hand-made, including the monsterous "Il Moro". I favour the plain ones, but the Cafee ones are lovely. Coffee and hint of vanilla. A splendid way to wake up. Give them a go if you get a chance.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I'm taking a little break from the pipe-side to have one of these fine Italian cigars (more properly, cheroots).

There are flavoured varieties, but the most common are simply fermented Kentucky leaf. I've regularly smoked these for years and never came across any that smelled or tasted of anything part from tobacco, the flavoured ones aside. They have an interesting history. Their origin goes back to a shipment of Kentucky tobacco that accidentally got soaked and, rather than be simply discarded, was made into cheap cigars for local consumption. They were a hit and the fermentation started by the soaking was purposefully reproduced. They've been made that way for almost 200 years.

Dry, strong, highly flavoured, I smoke them cut in two - any more than that and I'd be on my back. Did I mention they were strong? Many different varieties, some hand-made, including the monsterous "Il Moro". I favour the plain ones, but the Cafee ones are lovely. Coffee and hint of vanilla. A splendid way to wake up. Give them a go if you get a chance.
    Lol really wish I could try "Il Moro"
    Recently bought some Toscano Classico and Antico at 30% off. The Antico is pretty strong though, still i'm enjoying it.

I smokes Toscano daily cause they are the cheapest decent smoke you can have here in Italy. Many different types, the "Soldati" is the smoother, "Garibaldi" the cheaper, the "Antico" is my favourite, all machine made. For the hand-made I enjoy the "Originale", very strong and smooth. Then there is the bad boy "1492" that was seriosly too strong for me, I wasnt able to finish the smoke. The monstruos "Moro" is something for special occasion, and of course is the best smoke for Toscano's lovers.
    By the way consider that those smokes are completely different from "classic" cigars, dont expect to find them similar to some other stick, you simply love or hate them

Still cheap in Italy - good to hear. They are quite expensive in the UK, about 25 Euro for 5 Toscano, not much less for the little Toscanelli. I don't buy them here! I usually stock up when I visit Italy (Milan) or France where they are also quite inexpensive. I'm living off a stock I bought about 2-3 years ago. I need to make and excuse to go again soon with an extra suitcase.

I've never seen the 1492. The Originale or maybe Originale Speciale (they come in a brown "drum" - have no more and can't remember the exact name) are probably my favourite (and the Antico). I've only had Il Moro a few times - spendid, but rare and expensive. And MONSTEROUS!

Enjoy! I am jealous of your easy and regular supply - I have to ration mine now...

Addio, Giacomo
    Last edited by steinr1; 06-19-2013 at 08:11 AM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast