Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for some feedback on my cigar pictures.

This is a discussion on Looking for some feedback on my cigar pictures. within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; Originally Posted by bn087 Good advice but it went over my head...I don't have any special equipment which I would ...

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Re: Looking for some feedback on my cigar pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by bn087 View Post
    Good advice but it went over my head...I don't have any special equipment which I would like to invest in. However, your pictures are amazing...they make mine look like cell phone snaps! But, I did want the feedback.

Can the pictures you took be done with a Casio Exilim 12.1MP, nothing fancy but a step up from my old school film camera.

I used to play with photoshop but lost my subscription...are those slightly edited or just camera settings?
    I didn't take the Opus photo but I can tell you how to duplicate it and come close. You might be able to take it with the Casio but a little digital SLR would make it much easier.

The picture will need to be rotated and cropped.

To start you lay the sticks against each other one after another going away from you. Then shoot from about a 45 degree angle with the focus on the middle stick. If your camera allows manual over rides from auto or has several different shooting modes find one that will allow aperture over ride. You want to take the image with a pretty open aperture. That will be a small number like 2 or 2.8 or maybe 4. You want a number that will give you what is called the depth of field (the area that is in focus) that is about one stick wide. The bigger the aperture number the wider the area in that is in focus. Okay for the confusing part the bigger the number the small the aperture real is open.

So you snap the photo then you need to rotate it some in Photoshop or another program and crop it so it looks like it was take on the diagonal.

Okay that will give you the basic look but lighting is the next key.

An easy way to light that shot would be a fluorescent bar running parallel to the sticks opposite the camera with a reflector on the camera side. I would put some sheer white cloth in front of the tube to soften and diffuse the light some. The fluorescent tube would give you that nice long highlight you see on the cigars. Some white foam core board would work as a reflector to fill back in the light from the camera side.

I hope that helps.

Now get creative.

Tonight I am going to play a bit and post a picture on here...in hopes of doing something impressive....or something more than a simple focused image which I then sharpen to show the details. I do not have funds for an SLR, and if I did I'd probably just by more cigars since that is my hobby over snapping pictures of them

But my Casio Exilim does have lots of shooting modes, none really are customizable but something should be close. The pictures I do of the cigars now are in "Detail/Jewelry Mode", that way I can focus on the labels.

We'll see what I can come up with. Thanks for the feedback and check back here around 10:00.

Look for a manual mode. Most P&S have them.

Quote Originally Posted by bn087 View Post
    I agree, nice work on this picture.
    This one is my favorite too, and I just noticed its through the cellophane, I like the effect it has.

"Nothing is so simple that it cannot be misunderstood." Teague's Paradox

Heres what I did with camera settings today....

I am going to edit some stuff on PhotoImpact Pro to see if I can make some tweaks, but compared to what was viewed earlier...what feedback do you have on these?

Expect another image or two in a bit...thanks guys!

Leading Puffer Fish

Personally, I love the sepia tones in the first photo. But I'm also really liking the highlighting on the last photo.

Either way, I think you photos are quite good, and definitely something I'd aspire to

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Here is a quick critique. The black and white is the best and this is composition thing. The other two photos feel like the cigars and bottle want to roll off and out of the picture. They are just a little uncomfortable feeling. you don't get that feeling with the b&w.

You are headed in the right direction.

Big improvement. It's funny how composition changes the mood of the photo. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ckay View Post
    Big improvement. It's funny how composition changes the mood of the photo. Good stuff.
    Thanks...I honestly surprised myself.

When focusing on lighting I didn't have anything professional but I have a floor lamp on my back porch which I put a daylight bulb in, then I used a halogen bulb which is a second light I plugged in, that plus the flash gave me three lights from different distances.

Then I played with other options on the Casio to get clearer pictures, my favorite being the Sepia and Monochrome in "detail" mode.

After seeing the results I wanted to play more, but the battery died...will revisit again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post
    Here is a quick critique. The black and white is the best and this is composition thing. The other two photos feel like the cigars and bottle want to roll off and out of the picture. They are just a little uncomfortable feeling. you don't get that feeling with the b&w.

You are headed in the right direction.
    Thanks...on second glance I do see that the cigars appear to be falling off the picture...and they were on a slant, so thats why the box pressed la riqueza is holding them up

On a side note...the bourbon is now opened and I must say it will be a go-to for something under 20.00. I found it at a local liquor store for 17.99. With a baby on the way, I'm hunting for cheaper but quality beverages to enjoy with my cigars.

As you keep shooting, not only cigars, you'll develop your own style and creativity. Keep shooting and have fun with it. The beauty about digital is if you don't like it, you can delete it. I remember shooting film and only 2-3 shots were worthy of print.

Quote Originally Posted by ckay View Post
    As you keep shooting, not only cigars, you'll develop your own style and creativity. Keep shooting and have fun with it. The beauty about digital is if you don't like it, you can delete it. I remember shooting film and only 2-3 shots were worthy of print.
    Oh I remember those days... I took computer graphics and photography my last two years of high school. They gave us cameras loaded with B&W film to carry around all day and then we'd develop them in the blackroom during class. I was lucky to get a couple of good shots from every roll. I woulda killed to have my Nikon D300 back then!

Quote Originally Posted by guitar7272 View Post
    Oh I remember those days... I took computer graphics and photography my last two years of high school. They gave us cameras loaded with B&W film to carry around all day and then we'd develop them in the blackroom during class. I was lucky to get a couple of good shots from every roll. I woulda killed to have my Nikon D300 back then!
    I took it during a summer semester for my art requirement in college...it was me and 11 girls. Nice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast