Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for some feedback on my cigar pictures.

This is a discussion on Looking for some feedback on my cigar pictures. within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; Over the past few months I have taken some cigar pictures with a basic camera just as a hobby...maybe as ...

Looking for some feedback on my cigar pictures.

Over the past few months I have taken some cigar pictures with a basic camera just as a hobby...maybe as a way to remember some, others I used for reviews, and some just to see how well they would come out.

If you have a chance to view some of my profile pictures and leave me some feedback I'd appreciate it very much.

Thanks Guys!

This link should work http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/member...-pictures.html

Re: Looking for some feedback on my cigar pictures.

Looks good. The only thing I concern myself with when taking photos is lighting, and composition. Play around with the composition of your subject. When taking photos of a cigar, get rid of as much distractions in the background as possible.

Examples of composition:

A big difference compared to these:

Quote Originally Posted by ckay View Post
    Looks good. The only thing I concern myself with when taking photos is lighting, and composition. Play around with the composition of your subject. When taking photos of a cigar, get rid of as much distractions in the background as possible.
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to play around with some bokeh.

Quote Originally Posted by guitar7272 View Post
    Sounds like a perfect opportunity to play around with some bokeh.
    Playing around with depth is awesome. I've been away from photography for a while, but when I do, I can get lost in taking various version of the same subject based solely on boken...LOL!

I remember shooting film in an elective course at school, and I'd get 3-4 keepers...whereas with my digi, I can shoot all day and press the delete button.

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

I have to say that cigars can be tough subjects to light. Taking photos of foil, reflective bands is a bit of pain.

Chris I like your use of depth of field to highlight the middle stick.

Good advice but it went over my head...I don't have any special equipment which I would like to invest in. However, your pictures are amazing...they make mine look like cell phone snaps! But, I did want the feedback.

Can the pictures you took be done with a Casio Exilim 12.1MP, nothing fancy but a step up from my old school film camera.

I used to play with photoshop but lost my subscription...are those slightly edited or just camera settings?

Leading Puffer Fish Slowpokebill's Avatar

Bradley, your off to a good start. Your composition are a little static.

Spend some time with a few catalogs and try copying those photos. I hate to say don't worry to much about light at this point because lighting is every thing but without more than one light source your going to have a tough time copying the light in those catalog shots.

Once you get the feel for composition do a little research on setting up a basic light table. You can setup something with a little pvc pipe, opaque plastic sheets or sheer cloth and a few cheap clip on metal bell reflector lights that will give your shots a kind of pro feel to them.

For what ever it is worth I shoot product photography like this for a living.

Great photos! I am partial to the center stick. Almost like a Broadway actor on center stage waiting for the applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post

Spend some time with a few catalogs and try copying those photos. I hate to say don't worry to much about light at this point because lighting is every thing but without more than one light source your going to have a tough time copying the light in those catalog shots.

Once you get the feel for composition do a little research on setting up a basic light table. You can setup something with a little pvc pipe, opaque plastic sheets or sheer cloth and a few cheap clip on metal bell reflector lights that will give your shots a kind of pro feel to them.

That is a beautiful over under... man I wish I had the cash...

Newbie in the ocean Famous Cigars's Avatar

Nice Pics!

I must say, as an unexperienced photographer, this is by far the best you posted. It has depth, color, contrast & all lead to an exciting image. Nice!
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by bn087 View Post
    Good advice but it went over my head...I don't have any special equipment which I would like to invest in. However, your pictures are amazing...they make mine look like cell phone snaps! But, I did want the feedback.

Can the pictures you took be done with a Casio Exilim 12.1MP, nothing fancy but a step up from my old school film camera.

I used to play with photoshop but lost my subscription...are those slightly edited or just camera settings?
    You can get the results with a P&S and practice. Understand the functions of your camera. It is a case of the Indian and not the arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokebill View Post

That is a beautiful gun and a print worth purchasing....nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    I must say, as an unexperienced photographer, this is by far the best you posted. It has depth, color, contrast & all lead to an exciting image. Nice!

I agree, nice work on this picture.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast