Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My new humidor

This is a discussion on My new humidor within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; Its not. This humidor is made to keep the temperature and humidity at a constant level for ideal smoking of ...

Re: My new humidor

Its not. This humidor is made to keep the temperature and humidity at a constant level for ideal smoking of its contents. Larger Humidors have air circulation devices, or if you spend $80.00 you can get the air circulation for this size Humi, mine does fine right now, without the extra expense, some find it necessary, i think it is a personnel choice.

Quote Originally Posted by rover3013 View Post
    Its not. This humidor is made to keep the temperature and humidity at a constant level for ideal smoking of its contents. Larger Humidors have air circulation devices, or if you spend $80.00 you can get the air circulation for this size Humi, mine does fine right now, without the extra expense, some find it necessary, i think it is a personnel choice.
    Sorry I didn't understand you, so it doesn't circulate the air? How does it spread the humidity around to all four corners of the fridge?

My Bad, that humi has fans in the upper section that cant be seen from the front, that circulate the air, throughout the humidor, im very sorry , gave you info on mine, this is top of the line state of the art and the best that money can buy, has fans, and plenty more bells and whistles, lol
    http://www.josephandcurtis.com/cigar...ith-1200c.html
    Last edited by rover3013; 01-14-2011 at 07:06 AM. Reason: correction

[QUOTE=rover3013;3087954]My Bad, that humi has fans in the upper section that cant be seen from the front, that circulate the air, throughout the humidor, im very sorry , gave you info on mine, this is top of the line state of the art and the best that money can buy, has fans, and plenty more bells and whistles, lol

Hey thanks for clearing that up, wow, okay, yep love it!

NuG

Beautiful humidor!

How long did the seasoning take?

Quote Originally Posted by NuG View Post
    Beautiful humidor!

How long did the seasoning take?
    I am about two weeks in with one of these and it took just over a week for it to stabilize here in Tampa at nearly sea level with average 50% humidity in the house and A/C at 76.

The manual advises you to set it to something like 72 degrees and 72% humidity at first because it's easier to get it to stabilize at a higher temp and higher humidity than normal. It says to give it three days at that setting and see if it gets there. If it doesn't get the humidity up, season the drawers with distilled water on a clean cloth. Let it spike, wait a day, if it doesn't stabilize, do it again for five days. If it's still not up, add 50 ml (not very much) water to the reservoir and wait a day or two so you don't risk over humidifying.

Once you have it stabilized at 72/72, drop the temperature to what they recommend being 64~65 degrees. That should take the humidity down with it but the unit should then be able to keep the humidity up itself.

I got to the point of having to add water and did so twice; after about four days with no fluctuation, I considered it stable and dropped the temp down to 64. The humidity dropped to about 66 to 67% and has stayed there; I set it to 67%. Actually I should say I've set it to a value that gives me 67% on my calibrated digital hygrometer; the Monolith is about 2% off reading higher than it actually is.

Now that I actually have some room to store cigars and can stop playing around with my old 80ct and boveda packets, I went by the local shop last night and bought four boxes of favorites and about ten singles of new ones I wanted to try and loaded all of those in. I had the door open for a while and it dropped down to about 63% but it's been climbing slowly but surely and after about 10 hours it's back to 67%. I'm sure it will take less of a hit once I have more sticks in there but it definitely shouldn't be treated like a refrigerator and you sit there with the door open while you make up your mind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3