Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

My Man Cave & Shop

This is a discussion on My Man Cave & Shop within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; There are several great "Man Caves" featured here on Puff. I was inspired by Scott (phalynx) about a year ago ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Talking My Man Cave & Shop

There are several great "Man Caves" featured here on Puff. I was inspired by Scott (phalynx) about a year ago when I first saw his build. See his great, step by step thread and photos here:

Man Cave - Smoking Room

Now, when I first saw Scott's thread...I thought to myself that I too, one day would have something a little like that. We were renting a home at the time and I knew that I'd have to wait until the day that we bought our first home...and with buying a home, I wanted some sort of space or building that I too could create a "Man Cave". Now, I won't be copying Scott...at all, as thats not what this is about...but more about the inspiration that I have gained from Scott...to someday build my dream "Man Cave".

I will start off with the fact that my "Man Cave" will be my "Boars Nest" (see my avatar/logo). "Boars Nest" is a term that has been used in my family for years, by some of the great men that I look up to, including my dad and a great-grandfather. My dad has a "Boars Nest" and it is where he can go to relax and get away from things when needed...or pay the bills as it doubles as his office and hunting shows viewing room. We are all hunters and I grew up hunting wild boar, javelina, and deer...as most folks down here in Texas do...thus where the name came from.

Well, my wife and I were fortunate enough to purchase a home towards the end of this past June. The Good Lord gave us a home that had everything we were looking for in our "dream home/place". The wife and kids (I'm old school, so in my book...the home belongs to the wife and the outside belongs to the man!) got their 5 bed/3 bath home. I got me some acreage with a small pole barn and a huge metal shop building (the most important piece of the property, IMHO!).

To the metal shop building. It is a 30'x40' insulated metal building with an additional 30'x8' covered porch, two loft areas with stairs, two 10'x10' OVH doors, a regular 3' entry door, a few windows, roof vents, an old metal wood stove, it's own breaker with 110v ran everywhere as well as 220v and a "mens" restroom.

I have not begun the "build" yet, but I will be building w/in the shop a space for my Boars Nest/Smoking Room, additional loft space for storage, a wood shop area and a place for lawn equipment and kids "toys". I wanted to go ahead and start this thread as to try and push myself to get started on the "renovation". I am in the initial planning stages (I'm an architect...so I love this part!) and will be doing all of the construction myself (grew up building and renovating homes), with the help of a few friends on occasion (they just don't know about yet...and yes, TJ...I am talking about you too!)...free beer & cigars!

I will update everything as things progress, just like Scott does.

Here, I will begin with the photos I have of the metal building. All of these shots were taken during the home inspection, so all of the junk you see here...has been moved out and then I filled it up with my own junk! But, we like p0rn...so here's a little to give you an idea of what I will be working with...

Exterior of building, 06/11

View of porch and building, 06/11

Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

re: My Man Cave & Shop

Not sure that pedestrian bridge is neccessary

Any shots of the inside?
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Here are some photos of the interior, as it sat in 06/11...

Interior w/ larger loft

Interior w/ smaller loft and restroom (no toilet here...as it has a urinal!)

Interior w/ wood stove (that I will restore)

Quote Originally Posted by David_ESM View Post
    Not sure that pedestrian bridge is neccessary
    Yea, I know...right!

With how everything looks now...it looks pretty goofy out there! However, there is an existing dried up "stream" that runs under it...in future, it will be landscaped and I hope to put in a small water feature to view as I sit on the porch and puff away. That's on the back burner for now...inside first!

Re: My Man Cave & Shop

Yes HELL! That's a man cave. I hope it keeps that feel of a place born of necessity, with some of it's unfinished edges as you modify it Tommy.

Your Boars Nest should be a place where one can be sweaty, cigar in hand or mouth, yet not worry about that sweat or the ash.

It should also be a place were most normal women feel just a bit uncomfortable.

I smell cigar, not fish.

Ooooh awesome! I have visions already! What a canvas! What all do you want to include in there?

Thanks guys!

I am still working on the plan but should have something up next week for everyone to see.

I should note that yes, this will definitely be a rough build (intentional)...nothing fancy for me (again, intentional!). You will see this as things progress...once I finish the as-builts in CAD...then take what I had already designed and integrate it into the actual dimensions.

You wanted a list of what will be within...so here is a very rough list of details and some materials I intend to build/use:

Four new "areas" w/in the metal building

1. Shop area; including work benches, tool chests & cabinets, tools & equipment
    2. Boars Nest; this will be a fully enclosed and well insulated, heated and cooled space to be used as my home office (my wife has her own in the house!), drafting area, ham radio operation, possible gunsmithing, lounge/theater area, smoking room, and eventually a bar; I also plan to encase a gun safe and have a built in pipe tobacco cellar, as well as my wineador will be in this room for cigars
    3. Ground storage area; for such items as lawn equipment and kids bikes & toys
    4. Additional loft storage; as I intend to deck over the Boars Nest and will end up with a massive "L" shaped loft for any needed storage; I will remove both existing star cases and build one more usable stair case as the entire "L" will be accesablie from one set of stairs; the loft will also have a designated area for lumber storage and I intend to build a half wall around the perimeter edge of the loft as to hide all the junk that will be up there!

Finishing materials

Either unfinished plywood, OSB, hardie board, or paneling walls (NO DRYWALL OR PAINT ANYWHERE)

Ceiling in Boars Nest only will be salvaged or new corrugated metal panels

Unfinished American Cedar or Yellow Pine 1x trim (baseboards, door trim, etc)

Floors will remain bare concrete though due to moisture; I may end up doing something in the boars nest; however it will all be suitable for dropped ashes, oil, beer spills, gun powder, peanut shells, and sadly...I even dip Copenhagen so I may just spit on the floor too...hell, I know I will!

That's about where I am as of right now...

I smell cigar, not fish.

Tommy,

We share a lot of things in common: Ham radio, guns, tobacco, adult beverages, hunting, and the quest for our own space. Amen.

Make sure you enjoy the ride and stop and smile at what you have done along the way.

Keep us posted.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

this looks like its going to be awesome! good luck with the build and dont ever quit trying to reach your goals of the ultimate man cave!

Maturing Puffer Fish Tyrone Shoolace's Avatar

Good luck with the build. I can't wait to see how you progress. I bet it's going to be great!

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes...the place may not look like much now (it definitely doesn't to my wife! LOL)...but someday...and someday soon...I will get on this sucker!

Coming up next, hopefully in a week or two, will be updated photos of the shop as I begin to move around and clear "my junk" out of there...why? Because we we like "man cave p0rn!"

Young Puffer Fish rabidsquirrelOG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the well wishes...the place may not look like much now (it definitely doesn't to my wife! LOL)...but someday...and someday soon...I will get on this sucker!

Coming up next, hopefully in a week or two, will be updated photos of the shop as I begin to move around and clear "my junk" out of there...why? Because we we like "man cave p0rn!"
    A lot of potential in there. Man, I would almost kill for a Shop with a couple of garage bays and a lift. Get tired of paying idiots top dollar to do inferior work just because they have a lift...

Quote Originally Posted by rabidsquirrelOG View Post
    A lot of potential in there. Man, I would almost kill for a Shop with a couple of garage bays and a lift. Get tired of paying idiots top dollar to do inferior work just because they have a lift...

I hear you! I know nothing about auto mechanics...though I do try to teach myself and can do basic things...but I wish I knew more as some of these guys are plumb rip-offs around here!

Here is the preliminary shop drawings that I did awhile back. These are based off no dimensions, so the space will change as I progress through construction documents. I will be doing construction documents so I can create a materials list and construction cost estimate.

So, these are rough...but will give you an idea as to where I am heading with the space. Let me know what you think...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BlackandGold508's Avatar

Looking forward to this thread !! Keep up the good work brutha !!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast