Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

What do you think of this as a humidor?

This is a discussion on What do you think of this as a humidor? within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; It's an antique turn-of-the-century (last century, not this one ) ice box. Metal lining the inside has been removed. 'Was ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish z0diac's Avatar

Lightbulb What do you think of this as a humidor?

It's an antique turn-of-the-century (last century, not this one ) ice box. Metal lining the inside has been removed. 'Was thinking of adding some strips of foam-tape along the seals of the door and using it as a humi :

It was either this or a wine'ador... but I love the look of cigars in wooden boxes. It would basically be to hold my boxes of cigars, although I may build cedar trays as well.

'Probably install some LED strips inside each compartment to illuminate from the inside.

No longer a community member.

Re: What do you think of this as a humidor?

I think it would be a very cool humidor, show us when done if you do it bro!

Puffer Fish with many spikes bcannon87's Avatar

Yes Awesome Indeed!!
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches...

I was saying boourns... jbgd825's Avatar

That thing looks gorgeous!! And looks exactly like a cabinet my family used to put our tv on. Now I wish I'd kept it!

Very cool!
    I've been looking for one of those. Thats a nice one.
    Growing up a friend of mine had one 5 foot tall.
    Great idea and keep us posted on the progress.
    Gazelle intensity!

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

That's cool. I wonder if you could figure out a way to line the inside with spanish cedar?

My mom has a lot of old Japanese wooden boxes from various things. I was thinking about having one converted for me somehow.

Keep us updated on the progress!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

That would make a really cool humidor!
    As Dave said, please keep us posted (with pics) on how the project progresses.

Puffer Fish with many spikes lebz's Avatar

Very cool! Do it up
    Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. ~ Mark Twain

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish maxwell62's Avatar

Great. These are fine examples of craftmanship that should be preseved and no better way, me thinks, than as a cigar humidor. Willing to bet that once full you'll begin searching for one of the larger size.
    Enjoy bro.
    Bob .
    (maxwell62)

Elder Puffer Fish Leader NoShhhSherlock's Avatar

Looks like a great piece to convert into a humidor, I say go for it!

Unfortunately, at the last minute I decided against it. I've been wanting it for a month now and had been in negotiations with the seller since then. But my current cigar collection fits inside two medium/large desktop humidors, and I have 2 boxes of cigars coming back from Cuba in a few days (which won't fit inside my current humis).

BUT... this icebox was $450. I managed to get him down to $375, but it would have been another $40 in gas to go pick it up. And it would render my 2 current (beautiful) humidors useless. Not only that, but it would have so much room in it, it would entice me to spend the THOUSANDS needed to start filling it up to a respectable level.

So spending over $400 in total on a huge new box to store my cigars (and just my BOXED cigars at that, really), I couldn't justify. Not to mention I was having a hard time finding a spot for it on the floor of any room here.

Initially I was looking for an old 1940s/50s style mini fridge, and came across the old iceboxes. The one I listed in this thread was especially interesting because it was within an hour's drive, and the owner had already removed the gungy metal from the inside compartments.

Anyway, I bought a tower-style desktop humidor for 70 bucks of eBay. I'll use that to store my boxed cigars in for the foreseeable future. 'Saved myself a 2hr drive, over 300 bucks, and lots of floor space

But I'll definitely go back to looking at iceboxes once my collection has grown to the size to warrant one.

The one I have coming to me instead is this:

Last edited by z0diac; 09-17-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish maxwell62's Avatar

Hard to pass on that attractive Icebox, but the $ saved will go a goodly way towards filling that fine looking new humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell62 View Post
    Hard to pass on that attractive Icebox, but the $ saved will go a goodly way towards filling that fine looking new humidor.
    THanks mate. I've been depressed about my decision ever since making it

The icebox has so much room I'd feel terrible about having a 1/3rd full icehumi, and I'd also have 2 beautiful humis (my current 2) unused. I'll go to my current 2, plus new one on the way, then tupperwares. Once I have enough to fill a newly-bought antique icebox, I'll do it then.

Lil Fish w/ Explosives bombsquadmike007's Avatar

Love the old ice box look.