Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Focus rant

This is a discussion on Focus rant within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; Originally Posted by Vwluv10338 I'm not upset. I know its hard to convey emotions on the net but I tried ...

No longer a community member.

Thumbs up Re: Focus rant

Quote Originally Posted by Vwluv10338 View Post
    I'm not upset. I know its hard to convey emotions on the net but I tried to use emotocons to get my feelings across. I started this thread in jest. I dont actually care I just think its funny when people post pics where you cant see what they are taking a pic of. Its not just here. I also think its funny on a car forum where someone wants help with a part and then posts a pic where you cant see the part in question but the driveway is crystal clear.

Just looking for a little conversation and trying to see if I am alone.
    This is Puff we don't fight you can ask and we can talk politely about this I am willing to listen to advice myself getting better is always a good thing bro!

It's a good topic bro Thanks for bringing it up!

Dave

Full grown Puffer Fish Vwluv10338's Avatar

Re: Focus rant

Quote Originally Posted by bwhite220 View Post
    If this was a photography forum, I would agree with you. However, not everyone knows how to use a camera properly on here, much less care. I have a Nikon D7000 and I use it all the time but sometimes it's just easier to show the cigar I'm smoking with my iPhone camera.

If you feel that passionate about it, why not start a thread showing people how you take pictures or maybe tips and tricks to taking close up shot without using a macro lens. You'd get better feedback that way.

Bottom line, we can't smoke a camera so 90% of the folks here could care less.

You are right, I'm not going to pull out my T1i for every pic but I will defend the IPhone. My IPhone 4 takes awesome close pics w/ no flash. When I first got it I was very surprised at how close it could focus.

Here is an example I just snapped in my kitchen with my IPhone:

I agree but not everyone has a 4. I use mine and am shocked at how good it is.

On a side note, have you looked at the HDR apps? I use "HDR Pro" on my iPhone 4 and it takes amazing pics! Never used it with a cigar though.
    I may be foolish but at least I do it with enthusiasim!

Puffer Fish with many spikes

I'm not upset. I know its hard to convey emotions on the net but I tried to use emotocons to get my feelings across. I started this thread in jest. I dont actually care I just think its funny when people post pics where you cant see what they are taking a pic of. Its not just here. I also think its funny on a car forum where someone wants help with a part and then posts a pic where you cant see the part in question but the driveway is crystal clear.

Just looking for a little conversation and trying to see if I am alone.
    its cool. i just think that most people are getting away from digital cameras to using camera phones, as they are more convenient than a point and shoot. everyone knows that camera phones take crappy pics. i try to post clear pics, but that particular picture i did now have my digital cam handy so i took a pic with my phone. it wasnt until after i uploaded it that i could tell it was blurry since it was on such a small screen.

edit: i only have a 3g :[ i broke my 4g a couple weeks ago jumping out of an airplane. the 3g takes crap for pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by bwhite220 View Post
    I agree but not everyone has a 4. I use mine and am shocked at how good it is.

On a side note, have you looked at the HDR apps? I use "HDR Pro" on my iPhone 4 and it takes amazing pics! Never used it with a cigar though.

No I havent. I'm not too much of a fan of the artsy HDR that I see a lot of people use for automotive pics if that is what it does. I will have to check them out but I dont pay for apps.However, I am a big fan of the HDR the camera has when I upgraded the firmware. Its great for high contrast shots.

I have no problem seeing the pics clearly. I have no idea what the donkey is doing to the shopping cart in this pic though.

Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    I have no problem seeing the pics clearly. I have no idea what the donkey is doing to the shopping cart in this pic though.
    forget about what the donkey is doing! wtf is that kid doing to the cardboard cutout of david beckham behind those port-o-potties?!

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    forget about what the donkey is doing! wtf is that kid doing to the cardboard cutout of david beckham behind those port-o-potties?!
    ROTFLMAO! Dammit, it took a while but I see what you mean. Downright despicable methinks. I know beckhams et all are into that stuff but I always considered that kid above this type of thing.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Seriously, I know most pics of cigars are taken at close range, almost macro but why post a blurry pic? I mean do people take pics then see they are blurry and go "What the hell, I'll post this crappy pic anyway?" Photography is another hobby of mine so maybe I am more sensitive than others but is it just me or are other people bothered as well?
    No disrespect....But this post just bothers me.

The majority of pics here are with reviews,(I see you haven't done any)
    and are very much appreciated. Any time a brother takes the time
    to take pics, load to a server and post for YOUR benefit, you should just say "THANK YOU".
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Elder Puffer Fish Leader primetime76's Avatar

This thread gives me new hope...a renewed sense of pride with my blurry pictures. It is unfortunate that I am getting rid of my smart phone and will actually have to take pictures of my smokes with my good camera It is a trademark of mine...and I am sure that all the brothers will miss it.
    It is easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission!

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    No disrespect....But this post just bothers me.

The majority of pics here are with reviews,(I see you haven't done any)
    and are very much appreciated. Any time a brother takes the time
    to take pics, load to a server and post for YOUR benefit, you should just say "THANK YOU".
    Actually I haven't done more because I'm not sure my palate is up to where I can recomend a smoke to the vets here. However, I did post a review last week of a bad Monte white that I had. I hope it was just a bad stick because it was terrible and I want to find a mile creamy smoke. You should check it out, I even posted a cell phone pic.

Edit: I also took a decent pic for the "top shelf" thread and there are a few pics in my "$40 wineador" thread. I'm sorry if that is not enough contribution to the site for you. As I stated I started this thread in jest to poke a little fun. I wasn't tying to be serious and put people down but you can take it as you will. It is just the internets after all.

Seeing that photography is a hobby,
    perhaps you can start a thread on how to
    "how to take good pics"........

I am serious, that would be a great thread !
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    Seeing that photography is a hobby,
    perhaps you can start a thread on how to
    "how to take good pics"........

I am serious, that would be a great thread !
    Not a bad idea. I will try and get one going this week. I know there is a fairly recent thread with great pics but all those pics are taken with a DSLR with good lenses.

Actually I haven't done more because I'm not sure my palate is up to where I can recomend a smoke to the vets here. However, I did post a review last week of a bad Monte white that I had. I hope it was just a bad stick because it was terrible and I want to find a mile creamy smoke. You should check it out, I even posted a cell phone pic.

Edit: I also took a decent pic for the "top shelf" thread and there are a few pics in my "$40 wineador" thread. I'm sorry if that is not enough contribution to the site for you. As I stated I started this thread in jest to poke a little fun. I wasn't tying to be serious and put people down but you can take it as you will. It is just the internets after all.
    I agree with Bull. When your title says rant and you use the word seriously to start out you aren't saying something in jest and when you end talking about how it bothers you and you're sensitive about it you really aren't saying it in jest. I'm not talking about your intentions I'm talking about your wording. You may have meant it in jest but it sure didn't look like it until you came out and said it's in jest (only after people responded negatively). Maybe this is what I'm "sensitive" about.

On a "jesting" note, this is like one of those "white people problems" that are joked about in my generation (not sure if this is the real site White People Problems)

Quote Originally Posted by usrower321 View Post
    I agree with Bull. When your title says rant and you use the word seriously to start out you aren't saying something in jest and when you end talking about how it bothers you and you're sensitive about it you really aren't saying it in jest. I'm not talking about your intentions I'm talking about your wording. You may have meant it in jest but it sure didn't look like it until you came out and said it's in jest (only after people responded negatively). Maybe this is what I'm "sensitive" about.

On a "jesting" note, this is like one of those "white people problems" that are joked about in my generation (not sure if this is the real site White People Problems)
    Ok I will concede that using rant was probably strong. As for " seriously" i was using it like you would say to a friend with a bad haircut, " Seriously man, what is up with that haircut". It sounded right in my head. Had I been serious I would have used something like this: as opposed the the head-scratch. When the first blurry pic was posted I thought it was funny. That was exactly the kind of jest I was looking for. I say what's up with blurry pics, someone posts a blurry pic as a FU, I say "nice deck" because that was what was in focus. That's funny to me but apparently it's coming off hostile because I was told to calm down. I thought it was a funny back and fourth. That is why I posed the emoticon of the guy hiding behind the couch. I was doing a little good natured ribbing and expected some in return. Had this been an actual rant I would be sticking to " well learn how to use your camera moron" but that is not me and not the point of this thread. Does it "bother me?" when people post OOF (out of focus) pics? Maybe a little. Only because like people have said here, posters go through the trouble of taking the pic, uploading it, then posting it and I think it's ironic that the subject is not in focus and you can't see what they want. Me, i would just not post that pic. I think it's especially funny when people do it in a FS thread or craigslist. You can't even see what they are trying to sell but they put up the pic anyway.

Again, you are probably right that I usedthe wrong verbiage to get my point across and people took it in a way other than I intended and for that I apologize. I will try and think a little harder about my word choices in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast