Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Not Many Gurkha fans around?

This is a discussion on Not Many Gurkha fans around? within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; I picked up Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nublizer 5-Pack and Gurkha Class Regent Toro 5-Pack for about 15 a sampler...so ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

Not Many Gurkha fans around?

I picked up Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nublizer 5-Pack and Gurkha Class Regent Toro 5-Pack for about 15 a sampler...so exactly how long to they need to rest before I try one of these juicy looking sticks out??http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...t/IMAG0596.jpg It wouldn't let me post the pic from my phone. Anyway...take a look and let me know.
    Here's to us and those like us!
    God Bless our Troops...especially our Snipers!

Re: Not Many Gurkha fans around?

Not a fan at all but please let us know what you think once ou smoke them

Targets locked on... Phil from Chicago's Avatar

If you get a chance pick up a 5er of the Evils.. Let them rest 1-3 months.. I liked them but I am new to the game.. I want to try more Gurhkas but sometimes the price tag is discouraging when I can just pick up some Padron 3000's or a cheaper Padron Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by Phil from Chicago View Post
    If you get a chance pick up a 5er of the Evils.. Let them rest 1-3 months.. I liked them but I am new to the game.. I want to try more Gurhkas but sometimes the price tag is discouraging when I can just pick up some Padron 3000's or a cheaper Padron Anniversary
    I'm thinking that is the number one problem with the Gurkha's...the price tag...that is why I had to pull the trigger.....I mean the Black Fury's msrp was $72....and that is for the 5er...I got 10 for a whole lot less than that. Can't wait to give them a try.

I had the chance to smoke a Nublizer and liked it. This would be an excellent three buck cigar but at more than twice the price it was only OK. A very full and powerful cigar, best enjoyed after a big steak dinner, with a drink that is not to sugary. Thick almost chewy smoke, cedar, coffee, hints of cocoa and just a little harsh but that might have been because it was fresh with very little rest time. Might even be better if it was an inch or two longer.

Surprised by the name, I would not think Oliva would let something like this get by. Though similar in size, I would always take the Oliva Nub Dub over the Gurkha
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I had the chance to smoke a Nublizer and liked it. This would be an excellent three buck cigar but at more than twice the price it was only OK. A very full and powerful cigar, best enjoyed after a big steak dinner, with a drink that is not to sugary. Thick almost chewy smoke, cedar, coffee, hints of cocoa and just a little harsh but that might have been because it was fresh with very little rest time. Might even be better if it was an inch or two longer.

Surprised by the name, I would not think Oliva would let something like this get by. Though similar in size, I would always take the Oliva Nub Dub over the Gurkha
    Thanks for the advice!! I would not have had a light meal or on an empty stomach on this one. I am looking forward to this little stick!

Puffer Fish with some spikes border bandit's Avatar

A buddy of mine gave me a 5'er of the class regents and I gotta say, it was a nice smoke. I checked cbid and they can had for real cheap, like less than $2 if you are willing to wait on the freefall. For that price, awesome smoke. I did read somewhere it was a collaborative deal with Carlos Torano.

First one I had, really good smoke, with an earthy, ceder taste. I let them rest for a few months and the second one made me question my memory - just a plain, one dimensional cigar taste. I'm letting them sit a little longer in hopes they get a bit better.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by mturnmm View Post
    I picked up Gurkha Black Dragon Fury Nublizer 5-Pack and Gurkha Class Regent Toro 5-Pack for about 15 a sampler...so exactly how long to they need to rest before I try one of these juicy looking sticks out??http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...t/IMAG0596.jpg It wouldn't let me post the pic from my phone. Anyway...take a look and let me know.
    I have had the nublizer, and wasnt impressed. The ring gauge was too big with how loose the draw was. It didnt have much flavor either, but I smoked a Hemmingway Classic before it, so I guess it could have altered my perception slightly. Im ok with Gurkha, its always hit and miss though. I smoked mine after 2 weeks rest.

There are many threads about Gurkhas through out Puff. I like them, but don't feel they are worth the laughable MSRP. Gurkha is sort of the pie of the cigar industry, in that (IMHO) they don't have a "wow" cigar or a "dog rocket". Most of the Gurkhas I have were purchased for around 1.50-4 dollars a stick, which is where I believe they should stay. For that price you will find some really good cigars, however, these will fall out of favor if purchased for any more than that.

Rest time for these is dependent, as it is with all cigars. If you have a 5er, go ahead and smoke one. Leave the rest and smoke one a month or so later, repeating this until you find where they are best. It is also dependent due to how long they were at the vendor. I have received some Gurkhas which were obviously stored for quite some time and were really good ROTT.
    Editing and deleting are two different things. You edit a whole by deleting a part; you cannot edit a part by deleting it. Webster can clear this up for you.

Newbie in the ocean

The few Gurkhas I've had tasted "best" after 3 or so months in the humi. Park Avenues are probably my favorite, with the Micro Batch churchill behind it. The Crest, Gran Reserve, and a few others I've forgotten I wouldn't purchase again. They were all pretty much decent smokes but certainly as a great as advertised IMO.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish BaconStrips's Avatar

I have tried MANY Gurkhas, I totally agree with lostdog, they aren't worth their absurd MSRP, but CBids prices are good for me. I do like Gurkhas, but few. My favorites are the (in order) Beast, Titan, Black dragon, and Ninja. All the other sticks i have tried are pretty much average too me or terrible. The Evil was terrible, don't waste your time.

I'm a fan of the Signature 1887 Black and the Assassian.I have the G5 but it sitting in my humi for now. Actually the 1887 Black is my favorite cigar, but for 8 bucks a stick you can find a better deal on something else.

Yes Gurhka's do come with a steep price tag...that is why I got my on a deal...didn't pay msrp for these. I tried one of the black dragon fury and it was not a bad smoke for just spending about a week in my tuperdor.

Full grown Puffer Fish SystemError's Avatar

The Gurkha Class Regent I had was pretty good ROTT, had 2-3weeks in the humi. I wouldn't mind owning a box of those, they were quite tasty
    Last edited by SystemError; 06-28-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Alpha Puffer Fish

Where are you guys seeing crazy prices for Gurkha Cigars? At retail shops? I have never paid more than like $25 to $30 for a 10 pack of Gurkha from the likes of CI or Cbid. They were my go too sticks when I first started smoking cigars again because there was always crazy good deals on CI for them. Out of the over 60 I had at one point, I liked the Ninja, Centurion Perfecto and the Black Dragon Nublizer the best. I would up moving on to other cigars, but they are a decent "intro" stick IMHO. Would I go back to Gurkha after I have smoked Fuente, Rocky Patel or Liga Privada, No way, but still for the price you can pick most of them up at, not completely rotten. They are for sure better than anything Victor Sinclair has put out. NOW THAT is a dog rocket brand.
    Join the CRA: defend your cigar freedom!!
    Check out my Cigar Review podcast in its Audio format: http://calypsocigar.podomatic.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast