Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cigar and Gun Cleaning

This is a discussion on Cigar and Gun Cleaning within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; Originally Posted by GeeRawkz mmmm colts are nice! I'm in the market myself for a nice 1911...buying guns are almost ...

Newbie in the ocean

Re: Cigar and Gun Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by GeeRawkz View Post
    mmmm colts are nice! I'm in the market myself for a nice 1911...buying guns are almost as addicting to cigars haha
    Please get a model 70

GeeRawkz
    I don't presume to know your budget, but I'm a fan of the 1911 platform. if you are looking for a government sized (full sized) 1911, and want to spend under 800, I think the Springfield armory Range Officer rules the day. Great gun for the money. For slightly less money, say 600-700 their are the STI Spartan, Para Ord GI, Springfield Armory mil-spec, and Remington R1. PERSONALLY, I've inspected 3 R1s and all have had some issue with meeting specifications by a wide margin. I hear they can be good, but definitely look it over closely prior to taking possession.

For a true budget purchase, in the 450-550ish range, are the Citadel, RIA, and American Classic. I own at least one of all of these and frankly they all run like a top. If you like ambi controls and FLGR, and dont mind a gun that is park'd, go with the RIA offerings (they also produce citadel, which is imported by legacy arms). If you like extended controls, bluing, and 3 dot sights, go with the American Classic II. It is, and has been for me, and exceptional 1911 right out of the box.

Currently, I'm down to 4 1911s and the ones that stuck around are: a lightly modified SA Mil-Spec 45acp in stainless, an RIA Tac in 9mm, a Citadel CS in 45acp, and an American Classic II in 45acp. I sold off an original colt LW commander (pre series 80) because it did nothing these other, cheaper guns couldn't do.

The big thing about 1911s is proper lubrication. A lot of new 1911 owners lube them like they would a glock, and this can sometimes lead to issues. I grease the rails, bushing, top and bottom lugs, and oil the disconnector and hammer (lightly). do that, and run spec ammo and even cheap mags will generally feed all but the most persnickety JHPs. If you are a reloader and you are running 200gr H&G 68 LSWC clones, keep them under 1.250 OAL and match the shoulder of the nose with the Ogive on a ball round for length and they will feed EVERY time. if you are running a non-true H&G 68 clone, (like the mold from lee precision) all bets are off and you might actually have to go with a slightly longer OAL, which might bind in some mags.
    Last edited by trickyasafox; 09-27-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typos and spelling

Puffer Fish with some spikes wrx04's Avatar

Home from the range after blasting 300 rounds through my CQB.....

Attachment 71715

Cigars and shooting are two of my favorite things to do
    Last edited by wrx04; 09-27-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes wrx04's Avatar

Any 1911 recommendations? I'm feending for a new purchase
    Are you new to shooting?

If not, it would help to know your budget. With 1911's, you get what you pay for.

<$1000: Springfield Range Officer, STI Spartan, Rock Island
    <$1500: STI Trojan, Springfield TRP, Dan Wesson Valor
    <$2500: Les Baer, Ed Brown, Guncrafter Industries
    <$3500: Wilson Combat
    <$5000: SVI, John Harrison

Pick your price range, and any of the above guns are solid options. All quality guns, but the $2500+ guns are definitely better quality/built guns than the regular production guns. If you are gonna shoot it a lot, buy once cry once. You wont regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx04 View Post
    Are you new to shooting?

If not, it would help to know your budget. With 1911's, you get what you pay for.

<$1000: Springfield Range Officer, STI Spartan, Rock Island
    <$1500: STI Trojan, Springfield TRP, Dan Wesson Valor
    <$2500: Les Baer, Ed Brown, Guncrafter Industries
    <$3500: Wilson Combat
    <$5000: SVI, John Harrison

Pick your price range, and any of the above guns are solid options. All quality guns, but the $2500+ guns are definitely better quality/built guns than the regular production guns. If you are gonna shoot it a lot, buy once cry once. You wont regret it.
    And if you're wanting to go lower, check out the American Classic II from Metro Arms, it has gotten some fantastic reviews for being in the price range it is (around $600)...
    Shooter. Gamer. Hunter. Father. Geek. Atheist. NRA Life Member 2011
    http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/de...mber=Dark+Rose

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish djsmiles's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Cigar and Gun Cleaning

Well, I decided that since the kids are in school, and I had nothing better to do today, that I should finally clean my guns. Seeing as how some haven't been cleaned in over a year, and some have seen heavey use this summer.

Family pic(minus 1):

My AR:

All but one of my handguns:

And now, I'm enjoying an Alec Bradley Black Market that jphank bombed me:

What you need now is a great glass of Apapat Brandy!

Name:  Apapat.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  55.4 KB
    Last edited by Poiseman; 10-02-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: pic did not load

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish djsmiles's Avatar

If I didn't have my kids after school today, I would be enjoying an adult beverage too.

Young Fish

Fine cigars and fine guns.....

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Hoppes this, hoppes that......

Hoppes is all well and good, but if I had my choice of aromas whilst cleaning guns it would be cosmoline.

That would mean I just bought me a new relic to add to the collection.

Pair that with a good stick and a good bourbon or singlemalt and I'm all over it. Oh yeah.

As for 1911 recommendaions..... They're all good. Personally I stay away from anything with an accessory rail, external extractor or an ambi safety, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stradawhovious View Post
    Hoppes this, hoppes that......

Hoppes is all well and good, but if I had my choice of aromas whilst cleaning guns it would be cosmoline.

That would mean I just bought me a new relic to add to the collection.

Pair that with a good stick and a good bourbon or singlemalt and I'm all over it. Oh yeah.

As for 1911 recommendaions..... They're all good. Personally I stay away from anything with an accessory rail, external extractor or an ambi safety, but that's just me.
    Ew.... I've owned/own enough Mosins that I despise cosmoline.... Ugh. Still trying to refinish a stock that I can't get the cosmoline to stop seeping up on...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Any 1911 recommendations? I'm feending for a new purchase
    Any model 1911 ROCKS but i am bias and Colt's are my favorites!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Nothing wrong with a good cigar while doing some gun cleaning!

Attachment 71028
    Nice Gen 2. Is that a 19?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Rose View Post
    Ew.... I've owned/own enough Mosins that I despise cosmoline.... Ugh. Still trying to refinish a stock that I can't get the cosmoline to stop seeping up on...
    Yeah... It's tough to get the cosmo out of the furniture.

I have a fairly substantial Mosin collection, russian, hungairan, polish, finn, remington you name it. I converted an old mosin shipping crate into a coffee table.... and have the thing filled. They have since spilled over into one of my safes.

That said, I enjoy the heck out of scrubbing the cosmoline out of those things. If just means I'm one step closer to researching the history of it.

Not to say I don't have modern firearms too.... I just prefer the history of the older battle issued variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Stradawhovious View Post
    Yeah... It's tough to get the cosmo out of the furniture.

I have a fairly substantial Mosin collection, russian, hungairan, polish, finn, remington you name it. I converted an old mosin shipping crate into a coffee table.... and have the thing filled. They have since spilled over into one of my safes.

That said, I enjoy the heck out of scrubbing the cosmoline out of those things. If just means I'm one step closer to researching the history of it.

Not to say I don't have modern firearms too.... I just prefer the history of the older battle issued variety.
    I've only got two currently, both happen to be 1937, a Tula and an Izzy, one of them is non-matching, stock beat up, it's getting some "upgrades" (no, not a Bubba job), the other one i just refinished with hand-rubbed Linseed oil and it looks fine.
    I'd love a Finnish... And a Swiss K31 is also on my list, got an M48 Yugo Mauser already... And one of the new production K98's is also on my short list...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast