Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cigar Room Plans & Progress

This is a discussion on Cigar Room Plans & Progress within the Cigar Pictures forums, part of the The Gallery category; What a cool set up. Blows my garage sitting room out of the water!...

Re: Cigar Room Plans & Progress

What a cool set up. Blows my garage sitting room out of the water!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Thanks everyone. Mark, your project was very helpful, thank you.

An update just isn't the same without photos, but there's not a whole lot more to show at this point. Now that spring is here, I won't be able to spend as much time working on the rooms. In fact, I won't likely finish the room until later this fall, which should be fine now that winter has passed.

I'll cover a few minor details that have come up in the past few weeks:

-Illuminated Switch for Make-Up-Air Heater: The heater actually has a high-temp-shutoff safety feature, but I still wanted a reminder in case I left the switch on. I used the Leviton 1201-PLC (Illuminated ON).

-Exhaust Fan Noise: At full speed, there's more noise in the room than I had anticipated (as well as noise upstairs). To reduce the noise upstairs (which is mainly caused by the joists vibrating), I will use felt pads as damping mounts so the wooden frame doesn't transfer as much vibration. I also expect this to reduce at least some noise that carries to the cigar room, but I haven't determined what's causing most of that noise. There will be different solutions depending on the specific causes.

-Switch/Outlet Sealers: Sealing electrical switches and outlets helps provide a barrier between cigar-room air and the rest of the house. A tighter seal means a more effective exhaust system, a more efficient make-up air system, and less room for potential complaints about smoke in the house.

Stay tuned. My updates will probably be less frequent for a while, but I'll post them as I make progress.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroughbred View Post
    Thanks everyone. Mark, your project was very helpful, thank you.

An update just isn't the same without photos, but there's not a whole lot more to show at this point. Now that spring is here, I won't be able to spend as much time working on the rooms. In fact, I won't likely finish the room until later this fall, which should be fine now that winter has passed.

I'll cover a few minor details that have come up in the past few weeks:

-Illuminated Switch for Make-Up-Air Heater: The heater actually has a high-temp-shutoff safety feature, but I still wanted a reminder in case I left the switch on. I used the Leviton 1201-PLC (Illuminated ON).

-Exhaust Fan Noise: At full speed, there's more noise in the room than I had anticipated (as well as noise upstairs). To reduce the noise upstairs (which is mainly caused by the joists vibrating), I will use felt pads as damping mounts so the wooden frame doesn't transfer as much vibration. I also expect this to reduce at least some noise that carries to the cigar room, but I haven't determined what's causing most of that noise. There will be different solutions depending on the specific causes.

-Switch/Outlet Sealers: Sealing electrical switches and outlets helps provide a barrier between cigar-room air and the rest of the house. A tighter seal means a more effective exhaust system, a more efficient make-up air system, and less room for potential complaints about smoke in the house.

Stay tuned. My updates will probably be less frequent for a while, but I'll post them as I make progress.
    I have seen guys make a muffler for the centrifugal fans and put the fan into a box setup and suspend the box.. I am curious to see how you will deal with the sound going down the duct and the vibration of the fan...

That looks like it will be a great little room! Would love to see the finished product.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hubby's Avatar

Awesome job so far brother! Looking real nice.. Thanks for keeping us updated and sharing your Cigar Room with us!
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci

Thank you for your comments. I'll post more updates as I make progress (which is not happening during these nice summer months). Noise reduction will be my first order of business when I get back to the room. I'm hoping a combination of felt pads (to dampen the vibration transferred to the frame and joists) and some type of duct muffler will do the trick. I believe the transferred vibration will be the trickiest problem to solve, but I'll get it.

It's time for another update. I've been working on the cigar room for the past few weeks. Actually, most of my work has been in the room next door, which houses the fresh-air intake system (shown below). I tested the system yesterday after hooking up the wiring for the duct heater, and everything worked as advertised. I have the heater set to turn on if the duct temperature (about two feet downstream from the heater) drops below 76 degrees.

More updates to come...

Puffer With 1 Erect Spike NasierK's Avatar

Here I am putting on an extra sweater to go outside to have a smoke.

Can't wait to see it when it's done. Looking really good so far!
    Close,... but no cigar.

Puffer Fish with some spikes smitty8202's Avatar

Looking forward to seeing the final product. looks good so far
    12th Man

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Looks nice best of luck!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

That is awesome!! I want something like this one day! I built mine in the garage but this looks great.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Wow. Looking really good so far! Excited to see the finished product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2