Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hoja De Nicaragua???

This is a discussion on Hoja De Nicaragua??? within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Guy at work mentioned these when I told him I smoked the JdN Antanos. He said his favorite cigar use ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RumblePen's Avatar

Hoja De Nicaragua???

Guy at work mentioned these when I told him I smoked the JdN Antanos. He said his favorite cigar use to be the Hoja De Nicaraguas, not to be confused with the Joyas, and that they didn't make them anymore.

Well I did a little research on the web and if the information is accurate these are made by the same family, and have the same namenclature (antanos, machitos, consuls etc.) but I'm awful curious what the difference is between the two, and if in fact "you can't get them no more."

So, if you know anything at all about these, please spill it here.

(btw, the guy at work never had a Joya so I'm bringing him a machito to see what he thinks)

What would Skeeter do? kansashat's Avatar

Re: Hoja De Nicaragua???

Boom cigar. Closed out. Was on CI for quite a while. Nothing spectacular. I bought a box of coronas for about $25. They were rolled waaaaay too tight, but did have some major age on them.
    The views & opinions expressed by kansashat are not necessarily the views & opinions of Club Stogie, or it's associates. Iamstillveryfondofbananacreampie.

No longer a community member. carbonbased_al's Avatar

Picked up some of these on Cbid some time ago. Didn't think much of them. Not he same maker of JDN.

JDO
    Puffer Fish with many spikes JDO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kansashat
    They were rolled waaaaay too tight, but did have some major age on them.
    Thats exactly what I was going to say. That was the first handmade I ever smoked. It was like sucking a golf ball through a garden hose.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RumblePen's Avatar

I talked to the guy at work today and he said they were spelled "Hoya de Nicuragua." and not "Hoja". So we got three de Nicuraguas? I looked these up but still haven't found any sales listings or picks of a cigar spelled as "hoya".

Woop Woop Root Rat DownUnder LLG's Avatar

Well there is a cigar vendor in the East of Aussie that sell the Hoja De Nicaragua brand, and when I was their I purchased one. This had been sitting round a while as the cello had stained. It was a very nice mild smoke with no draw problems at all and I wish I had brought more of them. He still lists them on his web site. The band is marked America Central.

Here's a pic.
    "Kin you tell I ain't from around heah?"

What would Skeeter do? kansashat's Avatar

That's it. Name means "leaf of Nicaragua."

You guys probably knew that, but........
    The views & opinions expressed by kansashat are not necessarily the views & opinions of Club Stogie, or it's associates. Iamstillveryfondofbananacreampie.

JDO
    Puffer Fish with many spikes JDO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DownUnder LLG
    Well there is a cigar vendor in the East of Aussie that sell the Hoja De Nicaragua brand, and when I was their I purchased one. This had been sitting round a while as the cello had stained. It was a very nice mild smoke with no draw problems at all and I wish I had brought more of them. He still lists them on his web site. The band is marked America Central.

Here's a pic.
    Yup thats the one. I have a few of those bands sitting around.

HdN can't hold a candle to JdN IMO. HdN are tightly rolled, have way to much sweetener in the gum; and somehow lack what I consider typical Nicaraguan flavor. If you don't like Nicaraguan cigars you may like HdN I suppose.

I wouldn't buy HdN personally; I can think of a 70 cent cigar that blows it out of the water.

-Matt-

Woop Woop Root Rat DownUnder LLG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by txmatt
    HdN can't hold a candle to JdN IMO. HdN are tightly rolled, have way to much sweetener in the gum; and somehow lack what I consider typical Nicaraguan flavor. If you don't like Nicaraguan cigars you may like HdN I suppose.

I wouldn't buy HdN personally; I can think of a 70 cent cigar that blows it out of the water.

-Matt-
    You are probably right, I have not had the JdN so I can't comment, when I say it was a nice smoke, I guess I meant that everyday sort of smoke that you would have to fill a spot or something, nothing speacial.
    However you are the not the only one to say they have had draw problems so maybe I managed to pick the best in the box.... funny, things don't normally happen that way for me , so maybe I should be glad I didn't buy anymore. Will have to hunt down some JdN's and try some.
    "Kin you tell I ain't from around heah?"

Quote Originally Posted by RumblePen View Post
    I talked to the guy at work today and he said they were spelled "Hoya de Nicuragua." and not "Hoja". So we got three de Nicuraguas? I looked these up but still haven't found any sales listings or picks of a cigar spelled as "hoya".
    No, they are spelled Hoja de Nicaragua. I have a box of them and I got them in Nicaragua.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader karmaz00's Avatar

yeah...there no JDN antano

Born in the USA

Finally some people that remember that brand name! I would have to disagree with most of the comments on the Hoya's. I was given a box of Hoya De Nicaragua's boxpressed churchhills in 1985 as a Birthday gift from my Mother-in law. This was the best smoke I've ever had to date. Smooth, mild, creamy with a ton of sweet toasted nut flavor. Excellent burn and draw. I have been e-mailing the current operations pres. for JDN and he told me the blend is still made today in the JDN Clasico. I tried it, it was disappointing. The wrapper that I remember was not a connecticut but was a claro with almost a slight yellowish or greenish tint. Definitely not a candella. I think with my experience these days it might have been a Brazilian Mata Fina wrapper. I have been searching all these years to find a cigar with that beautiful flavor profile. I think I finally have one that is very close. The Don Kiki Green labels sold by Cuban Crafters. It is a wonderful cigar, and I urge everyone to try it. Let me know what you think.

Is this the one with the eye in the pyramid logo?
    A lot of problems in the world can be solved if everyone takes the time to relax and have a cigar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast