Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Clipping a Cigar

This is a discussion on Clipping a Cigar within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Originally Posted by pistol I like to use a really sharp knife to cut the cap. I slowly go around ...

Young Fish

Re: Clipping a Cigar

Quote Originally Posted by pistol
    I like to use a really sharp knife to cut the cap. I slowly go around the cap with the knife blade to keep from cutting too much off, I can cut off as much of the cap as I want that way. I probably spend too much time sharpening knives though... That works really well for me, however, also doesn't work for a figurado
    Exactly what I do, but I use either my palio or my SAK to cut around the cap without cutting into the actual cigar at all. The only exceptions are with Torps or if I have a very tight cigar and it feals like it would help to cut more. Most of the time with the tight ones though, I throw them back in the humi. Don't like to waste time on them, especially if there is a chance they will losen up with age.

Lately I've been punching more than cutting.

[SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"]"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Corky Siegel[/SIZE][/SIZE]

i use a cuban crafters gold cigar cutter, it has two razor sharp blades that always make a perfect cut and it looks and feels good too. if i am caught out without a cutter then i usually do it Winston style: moisten the end of the cap until the leaf is soft, then use the end of a match to poke a suitably sized hole, try sucking on the cigar to check the draw is ok, if not open up the hole inside carefuly until the draw is good. good old winnie used this method for about 60 years so what better commendation could you ask for.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes donp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpmyster
    Thanks, I am going to try that, does the speed of the cut matter?
    You must also make sure your cutter is sharp and clean
    "It takes a Viking to raze a village" - Bumper sticker of unknown origins

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by donp
    You must also make sure your cutter is sharp and clean
    I think it is dulling a bit, been trying to figure out how to sharpen it. I will clean and touch up the blade tonight. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pistol
    Nobody else uses a really sharp knife?! It works great, I'm telling you! Much better than a good cutter, imho. Give it a shot, I promise, you will like it (provided the knife is sharp enough).
    I"m with ya pistol, I used to use my knife all the time. I always have at least one on me, whereas I don't always carry a cutter. Always get a nice clean cut. I use a benchmade auto, with a serrated section hear the handle. Hell I even light it with a regular zippo onoccassion

Get a V-Cutter, I find them dummy-proof.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I"m with ya pistol, I used to use my knife all the time. I always have at least one on me, whereas I don't always carry a cutter. Always get a nice clean cut. I use a benchmade auto, with a serrated section hear the handle. Hell I even light it with a regular zippo onoccassion
    benchmades have a dam fine blade man, I love mine. I promise I won't tell you use a zippo every now and then if you won't tell anyone that when I'm too lazy to walk inside to get my butane torch(all the friggin time), I use my bbq lighter! No cigar snob treaty right?!
    Last edited by pistol; 04-20-2006 at 01:08 PM.

I haven't touched a cigar cutter since discovering how well a sharp knife and a little finesse works. I think that slicing it open by hand adds to the sensory experience more than a quick clip, too.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Siamang
    I haven't touched a cigar cutter since discovering how well a sharp knife and a little finesse works. I think that slicing it open by hand adds to the sensory experience more than a quick clip, too.
    I carry 2 very sharp knives with me. I am always sharpening knives anyways. I think I will give it a try, as soon as, I learn where I need to cut the head at, by just looking at it.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpmyster
    I carry 2 very sharp knives with me. I am always sharpening knives anyways. I think I will give it a try, as soon as, I learn where I need to cut the head at, by just looking at it.
    it's easy man, cut right at the top cap seam. You don't need to jam the knife in there, just an incision that's literally the depth of the cap all the way around. I hold the knife and slowly rotate the cigar until the cap falls off. If the seam of the cap is lower on the cigar, I usually make the incision where the cap begins to curve down onto the rest of the stick (I hope the makes sense, if it doesn't- sorry!)
    Last edited by pistol; 04-20-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Young Puffer Fish

I will give that a try and let you know how it goes. I used the table method with my cutter and that worked great. I like the knife idea, I always have 1 or 2 with me. Thanks

No longer a community member. PuroBrat's Avatar

Some I bite off, others I snip. As long as it isn't a "pointy cap" cigar, I can use a punch. I have used the sharp knife method, even the dull knife method.

When I get my XiKar fixed/replaced, I will have the following:
    XiKar
    Cheap plastic single blade from Helix
    My Uncle Henry (razor sharp)
    My Teeth (not so sharp)
    Punches of the following calibers;
    22 Hornet, 7mm, 357Mag, 45Auto and 44Mag. (trying to get my hands on a 50cal Casing to sharpen up)

This is what I call, my Plethora of cigar openers

No longer a community member. King James's Avatar

I haven't tried my teeth yet, may have to pick up a cheaper cigar and test it out

No longer a community member. PuroBrat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King James
    I haven't tried my teeth yet, may have to pick up a cheaper cigar and test it out
    Works best on Torps. I did a Partagas Black Pyramide with my teeth once. Worked like a charm. The 2 babes at the next table thought I was Rambo or something, My buddy said he wanted to go clubbin with me more often.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast