Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ammonia in some cigars

This is a discussion on Ammonia in some cigars within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Hi, I'm pretty new - but I think I'm off to a good start with two humidors stuffed with some ...

Young Fish

Ammonia in some cigars

Hi,
    I'm pretty new - but I think I'm off to a good start with two humidors stuffed with some pretty good cigars. Favorites so far are the DPG and RP.

So far:
    RP - Vintage 90 and 92, Sungrown and Decades
    DPG - Cuban Classics and Blue Labels
    5 Vegas - Cask Strength II and Classics
    Cusano 18 Maduro
    GrayCliff 1666 (yeah - some like them some hate them)
    Padilla Series 68
    Gran Habano 3 Siglos
    La Aurora (bundle of the seconds from CI)
    etc.

The most recent purchase was the 5 Vegas Classics and the La Aurora which all had a pretty strong Ammonia smell. Now, whenever I open my humidor - all I can smell is ammonia. I remove the plastic sleeve on my cigars so they are venting freely - and they've been in the humidor about 2 weeks now (70% RH) and the ammonia has not lessened at all. And the Humidor is opened frequently.

Is it true that the ammonia smell just means they are aging and I shouldn't be alarmed? Or does it mean I got crappy cigars that should be returned?

Should I have these ammonia smelling cigars in a separate humidor while they age? Will all that ammonia taint my good cigars?

Thanks in advance.

Not Here

Re: Ammonia in some cigars

The releasing of ammonia is a natural occurrence as tobacco ferments. It is usually present when the tobacco is still fairly young. No need to worry about it, just hold off smoking those cigars until it dissipates. Some collectors like to let the cigars stew in their own juices while others like to let the ammonia smell out and replace with fresh air. Just a matter of personal preference. Your other cigars should not be affected by this natural occurrence.
    BIA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by madurolover View Post
    The releasing of ammonia is a natural occurrence as tobacco ferments. It is usually present when the tobacco is still fairly young. No need to worry about it, just hold off smoking those cigars until it dissipates. Some collectors like to let the cigars stew in their own juices while others like to let the ammonia smell out and replace with fresh air. Just a matter of personal preference. Your other cigars should not be affected by this natural occurrence.
    Why do you always have the right answers and why are they always so quickly delivered? Don't you have a cooler to stock?

I find that a lot of the 5vegas have a strong amonia smell recently. I keep a "special "humidor just for the strong amonia smelling sticks.
    80 percent of them that are in there are 5vegas. They seem to take a long time to change and rest. I am in no rush. I know now from expereience not to buy them again. I expect to have most of the amonia smell gone, before the manufacturer distributes. It just means to me, that they are takeing shortcuts recently. I dont see the prices going down on them, so I will by pass them.
    I buy handrolled cigars fresh, and they dont have 90 percent of that odor. I see that odor more and more in certain brands. r and j, monte, uppman.
    I never get them in any rocky patel, or drew estate. I go into the b and m, and go around to check the smells, and I can see whats going on. I cant smell anything from rocky or drew or macanudo with amonia.
    Jerry

Puffer Fish with many spikes

I have not experienced the ammonia smell in any of the 5 Vegas cigars that I have smoked.
    On the other hand I can count on the ammonia (barn yard) smell emmenating from CAO Gold cigars, both the natural and maduro wrappers. Knowing that, I remove the cello and allow them to let them air out for a few days before I smoke them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chico57 View Post
    I have not experienced the ammonia smell in any of the 5 Vegas cigars that I have smoked.
    On the other hand I can count on the ammonia (barn yard) smell emmenating from CAO Gold cigars, both the natural and maduro wrappers. Knowing that, I remove the cello and allow them to let them air out for a few days before I smoke them.
    LOL, I wish we had email smellavision, so you could see and smell my 5 vegas. The only other answer is that they were all purchased from cbid. Almost all the amonia ones, are from the classic line of 5 vegas.

Jerry

Young Fish

Yes ... for the 5 vegas, only the classics have had the strong ammonia - the cask strength II have not have it at all. I bought the classics from cigar.com as the daily deal (great price too) a couple weeks ago. They're OK but not something I plan to buy again unless they really transform after a few months in the humidor. I'd definitely buy the cask strength again if they come up on a good deal.

BTW - I just finished a Don Pepin Cuban Classic and what an awesome smoke that is. The first cigar I've smoked right down to the nub - I was burning my finger tips and nearly went for the hemostats but I guess that's just silly.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ongreystreet's Avatar

I've haven't experienced this with my Vegas 5s, but have with CAO and some of my Oliva Vs. Just let it rest longer, it will only get better.

SCUBA Chimp

Virtually every CI sampler has some 5 Vegas thrown in to offset the cost of the good cigars. They must sell so many of them that the factory has to ship them without resting.

In my opinion, they really don't have any redeeming qualities. This is just a house brand that they market as a premium. No complexity, no nuances...Just bland tobacco. You may as well just smoke a cigarette. I always give them to the people who can't tell the difference between a premium and a yard gar. They don't seem to mind, and I don't have to suffer through one myself.

Full grown Puffer Fish Phantom57's Avatar

Outgassing, ie ammonia smell is the result of too young tobacco being rolled and shipped. Usually only a problem with CCs. The tobacco was not allowed to finish fermentation.

Quote Originally Posted by e-man View Post
    Virtually every CI sampler has some 5 Vegas thrown in to offset the cost of the good cigars. They must sell so many of them that the factory has to ship them without resting.

In my opinion, they really don't have any redeeming qualities. This is just a house brand that they market as a premium. No complexity, no nuances...Just bland tobacco. You may as well just smoke a cigarette. I always give them to the people who can't tell the difference between a premium and a yard gar. They don't seem to mind, and I don't have to suffer through one myself.

I would have to disagree with the opinion of the Vegas 5 cigars. First, I am not sure whether or not Don Pepin is capable of blending bland tobacco. I enjoy the taste and the construction, especially when it comes to even burn, is top notch. I've never had any problems with my Vegas 5s out of the box and they do age well. I am not sure I would use the word premium, or could even match that definition with anyone else's, but I would suggest in my opinion that Vegas 5s are not a house brand marketed as premium, but closer to a premium cigar marketed as a house brand. I've actually never seen any evidence that Vegas 5s are marketed as premium.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Buddha024's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ongreystreet View Post
    I would have to disagree with the opinion of the Vegas 5 cigars. First, I am not sure whether or not Don Pepin is capable of blending bland tobacco. I enjoy the taste and the construction, especially when it comes to even burn, is top notch. I've never had any problems with my Vegas 5s out of the box and they do age well. I am not sure I would use the word premium, or could even match that definition with anyone else's, but I would suggest in my opinion that Vegas 5s are not a house brand marketed as premium, but closer to a premium cigar marketed as a house brand. I've actually never seen any evidence that Vegas 5s are marketed as premium.
    I agree with greystreet on this, but to each his own. Greystreet, is your name a reference to the DMB song? Just curious, it's one of my favorites.

SCUBA Chimp

I would have to disagree with the opinion of the Vegas 5 cigars. First, I am not sure whether or not Don Pepin is capable of blending bland tobacco.
    I know that Don Pepin blended the 5 Vegas MIAMI, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that he blended any of the other 5 Vegas series. If you look up CI's "5 Vegas Ultimate Mega-Sampler", they specifically state that he blended the Miami, but they don't say he blended them all. I'm sure that CI would have his name all over the descriptions of each 5 Vegas line if he did...just like they do for every other cigar he blends. Go check their write ups for known Pepin blends: San Cristobal, Tatuaje, 601, etc. They can't write two sentences without mentioning his name. Then go look up the various 5 Vegas lines. No mention, except for the Miami.

We all have differing opinions, and I stand behind what I said. If you read the reviews, I'm not the only one who finds this cigars to be all hype. While most reviews do seem favorable of the 5 Vegas Classic line, those who dislike it say the same things: One Dimensional, Lack of flavor, Much better sticks available for the price.

http://www.puff.com/Cigar-Reviews/Ma...r-Reviews.html

I've actually never seen any evidence that Vegas 5s are marketed as premium.
    They ABSOLUTELY claim that 5 Vegas is a premium brand. I just skimmed the list of CI samplers for 30 seconds, and found these samplers that contain the 5 Vegas Classic and EXPLICITLY state that the 5 Vegas Classic is a PREMIUM cigar:

Plumpin' PREMIUMS Sampler (the name speaks for itself)

"Each is a fine boutique blend that brings the thunder, made from aged, PREMIUM tobaccos blended to perfection"

Tip Top Torpedos Sampler

"One glance at the picture and you’ll see how this collection delivers a superior collection of TOP-NOTCH PREMIUM BRANDS"

They combine the 5 Vegas Classics with premiums such as Padilla, Rocky Patel, CAO, Perdomo and Greycliff, which would lead you to believe that they are also a premium brand. In really, they include this house brand to offset the cost of the REAL premiums. If they are going to market them as permiums, the very least they could do is rest these cigars long enough to get rid of the ammonia like most other NC brands do. Don't you think?

CI never mentions that 5 Vegas is their own brand, yet you can only buy them from CI and their sister sites. It's not like they have a problem telling you that the Legends series are a house brand. It's pretty obvious that they ARE marketing 5 Vegas as a premium brand.

If people like these 5 Vegas Classics, then by all means, enjoy them. I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. But don't fool yourself. They're not Pepins, and they ARE a house brand sold as a premium.

If I told you a new Suzuki car was a premium luxury vehicle and then sold it for 15k dollars would you believe that too?

I get my V5s for less then $2 a stick from CI and I don't pay much attention to descriptions on sites like CI, CBid, JRs, Famous Smoke, etc. They can make a Black and Mild sound like Padron. A good example would be Cuban Delights, under 'buck a stick' from CI:

"High-quality, handmade sandwich cigars.

Cuban Delights are back! After an absence from the market due to a packaging redesign, we’re finally able to offer this hugely popular cigar at the best prices anywhere. This cigar screams value. It’s perfect as an everyday cigar, made of high-quality mixed filler Dominican leaves. Handmade in the Dominican Republic and packed in big-ass boxes of 50, these sandwich-style cigars offer a premium cigar taste but a domestic cigar price. Heck, for 80 to 90 cents apiece, grab a box or two today."

50 for $40

All I am trying to say is don't be so quick to rip on a cigar, especially if you think it's because some rep or cigar company description is telling you lies.

Young Fish

I just bought some 5 Vegas 'A' from Cbid - should have them in a week or so. It'll be interesting to see how they are - reviews I've read are very good for that one. I've enjoyed the Cask Strength II but haven't really seen any reviews for it. I was pretty bored with the 5 Vegas Classic but they somehow got a 90 rating so...

CI always points out that the 5-V Classic has a 90 rating (and thus they include it in all their 90+ samplers). I'm curous how long ago they got the 90 rating and how consistent a cigar should be from year to year in order to keep the same name and advertise the same 90 rating?

I'm OK to leave these (classics) sitting in the humidor for several months to see if they settle down. Meanwhile --- I'd rather pay $3.50 a stick for a Pepin Cuban Classic (when they're on a daily deal) or a RP Vintage or Sungrown second. Much better value for me than paying around $2 a stick for a 5v classic that stinks of ammonia.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast