Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

How should my cigar "feel"? Is it too dry?

This is a discussion on How should my cigar "feel"? Is it too dry? within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Hey guys, kind of being OCD with my humidor lately since Im having to recharge my beads like once a ...

How should my cigar "feel"? Is it too dry?

Hey guys, kind of being OCD with my humidor lately since Im having to recharge my beads like once a week, Ive started to worry about the quality of this "Sure Seal Technology"

I compared some smokes I got in the mail today to smokes in my humi.

So how should a cigar feel right out of the humi?

BTW, my humi is seasoned and always holding between 64 and 66% RH on a calibrated digital hygro...

My cigars feel quite firm out of the humi... a small amount of crackle if I put it by my ear and they feel firm.

The ones I got in the mail today, felt nice and soft, not too soft, but soft...

So, should a cigar stored at 65% RH feel a little on the firm side? am I just being too paranoid?

Thanks, this forum has been a HUGE help!

Jim

Scotch & Cigars

Re: How should my cigar "feel"? Is it too dry?

Mostly preference, if you want a "softer" cigar you can store them around 70rh and they will be less dry....I believe that's how it works. I keep mine at 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock31 View Post
    Mostly preference, if you want a "softer" cigar you can store them around 70rh and they will be less dry....I believe that's how it works. I keep mine at 65.
    But at 65 do your cigars feel firm?

I didnt think 5% RH would make such a drastic difference??

Im having to recharge my beads like once a week, Ive started to worry about the quality of this "Sure Seal Technology" Depending on the same of your humidor and number of cigars you may need more beads.

So how should a cigar feel right out of the humi? Opinions may vary, but I like my cigar to have a soft, but not wet feel to them. Shouldn't be confused with not enough filler.

BTW, my humi is seasoned and always holding between 64 and 66% RH on a calibrated digital hygro... Sounds fine overall.

My cigars feel quite firm out of the humi... a small amount of crackle if I put it by my ear and they feel firm. Questions you should ask yourself as you smoke: How's the burn? Has the flavor of the cigar changed dramatically if you've smoked multiple cigars of that brand over a time period? Do you find yourself needing to relight the cigar multiple times? A fast burn indicates a drier cigar and a cigar needing many relights may be overhumidified.

The ones I got in the mail today, felt nice and soft, not too soft, but soft...
    Cigars received in the mail tend to be over humidified to compensate for travel. That's why sometimes it's good to let them get acclimated to ideal temperatures at least over a period of a few weeks if possible.

So, should a cigar stored at 65% RH feel a little on the firm side? am I just being too paranoid? Simple answer? Paranoid just like the rest of us. But I have noticed certain brands smoke/taste better at lower humidity(60) and others at a higher humidity level(65-70) I think a cigar at 65% should feel fairly balanced as long as the cigar was made perfectly.

I hope this helps you out!

Puffer Fish with many spikes DeeSkank's Avatar

Remember that some retailers ship sticks a little wet, that's probably why they are softer. You should hear a little crackle around 65% RH.

Perfect! Thanks a ton guys!

Batista, your reply really helped a lot man, very much appreciated.

Dee, that puts me at ease, thanks dude

I had the same concerns you do/did. My humidor was sitting at 63-66% depending on the temperature. I found my cigars to be a little on the dry side. I've since added another Xikar "crystal" 4oz jar and brought my humidity up to 67-70%. I like my cigars at this humidity better as they feel more "alive" and burn very nicely while maintaining their flavor and shimmer/oiliness. It's personal preference so do what feels right for you as your cigars shouldn't get any damage as long as the humidity is above 60% and below 75%. Calibrate you hygrometer to make sure you're getting an accurate reading (if you haven't already).