Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Burn Question

This is a discussion on Burn Question within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; As a novice smoker, I am still trying to figure out exactly how to smoke a cigar to make it ...

Young Puffer Fish

Burn Question

As a novice smoker, I am still trying to figure out exactly how to smoke a cigar to make it the best experience possible. I do a pretty good job lighting and take a puff every 60 seconds or so. What I am wondering is how much should the wrapper be lighting when I am drawing. I know that the wrapper provides a lot o flavor to a cigar so in my head, this means to me that the wrapper should be glowing all the way around as I am drawing to make sure the wrapper is burning well and contributing it's flavor

I tend to smoke too slow and have issues with tunneling so I know I need to speed my pace up a bit, just not sure how much to speed up and how hard to hit each draw

Thanks!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Burn Question

Practice makes perfect there is no right or wrong. Right is what works for you! I have been smoking cigars 30+ years and still puff like a locomotive.I still puff about once a minute put its a big puff i love a mouthful of smoke. If a cigars not giving ample smoke i double or even triple puff.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Young Puffer Fish

But I obviously need to make sure I am keeping the wrapper lit, correct? I'll definitely practice and see what works for me

You mean the filler is burning faster than the wrapper? Just guessing here, but this might be a storage issue rather than your technique. What's the RH in your humi?

Young Puffer Fish

I have 65% beads in my humi and most cigars sit for several weeks before smoking. It's more of a pace issue or taking too light of draws. I'm really only igniting the filler and not really getting a burn on the wrapper

I have to agree with Clifford. From what I've read around here, its a storage issue typically. If I remember correctly, another time someone had tunneling was when the weather was all jacked up. But I forgot to follow that thread and wasn't sure if the weather could have an affect on it.

As far as lighting, are you lighting the rim of the foot first and then lighting the middle? not sure if that makes a difference but its worth a shot.

And althought you have 65% beads, what is your meter registering it at?

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jswaykos's Avatar

I smoke crazy fast and still have issues with tunneling at times. I chalk it up to the weather, as it only seems to happen when it's unseasonably cold (I'm in San Diego). On nice days, I have no issues whatsoever, even on a golf course, so I'm fairly certain it's not a storage issue (it happened twice in the same night, two totally different cigars).

Where do you live and do most of your smoking?
    Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Young Puffer Fish

Most of my smoking is done right now in the cold garage ad I'm in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by chode720 View Post
    Most of my smoking is done right now in the cold garage ad I'm in Ohio
    A particularly cold night out here seemed to wreak havoc on a couple of cigars that I've never had an issue with previously, so that could be an issue.

Now, I'm curious what you mean by keeping the wrapper lit. It shouldn't be flaming the whole time you're smoking, but rather charring as the tobacco burns closer to the head. Are you sure you're getting it evenly lit from the start? Any burn issues should be corrected rather early in the cigar, like the first half inch. And since you should be leaving the ash in tact as long as possible, you probably won't be seeing much of anything as far as the actual burning goes.

Are you ashing too frequently? This could be getting rid of lit/hot pieces of tobacco before it has a chance to light any more.

Young Puffer Fish

Right, I don't mean the wrapper should be flaming, but should I be seeing it glow red as I'm puffing?

I'm pretty sure my lighting is even. I toast all along the wrapper then toast the foot and I'm off

Quote Originally Posted by chode720 View Post
    Right, I don't mean the wrapper should be flaming, but should I be seeing it glow re as I'm puffing?

I'm pretty sure my lighting is even. I toast all along the wrapper then toast the foot and I'm off
    I don't think the wrapper should be glowing, no. The inside 'cherry', maybe, if there isn't any ash built up.

I think he means the burning edges. When you take a puff, it lights up the edge as red. In some cases, parts will light red but another part won't until later on when the burn catches up. he's not seeing the edges burn cause of the tunneling effect. If it burned then it would be an even burn.

that may have been confusing..lol. but I understand what the OP is talking about. I'd also be interested in how he's lighting it.

Young Puffer Fish

Yes, thats what i mean. Should the burning edges be lighting up. What you described with the edges lighting when puffing and then some lighting later is what I have been shooting for and seem to have the best flavors when I do that.

I light by rotating the edge of the wrapper over the flame to get a nice glow all around the wrapper edge. Then I'll take the lighter and toast the rest of the foot.

I tend to smoke slow (I've had robustos last 90 min) and think that's my main issue with tunneling

well i light mine the same way. I have a torch though, and I typically get a good burn. Somtimes it'll canoe on me but if I let it sit for a minute, it'll usually even out.

I light the edges in a circle until nice and toasty red and then work the circle to the middle. sometimes, I'll have to take a puff while lighting it still to get it to burn. I never used a soft flame so I don't know how good those are.

But it could be 2 things. The weather or the storage. And at this point, the cold may be the issue.

Young Puffer Fish

Mine is a xikar dual torch

Out of curiosity, how does the cold affect it. I'd assume that it makes it harder to keep lit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast