Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To Wrap or Unwrap

This is a discussion on To Wrap or Unwrap within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; First let me say thanks to you bro & sis gorillas for helping a newbie in less than three weeks ...

Leading Puffer Fish luckybandit's Avatar

To Wrap or Unwrap

First let me say thanks to you bro & sis gorillas for helping a newbie in less than three weeks i have a new 150 count glass top humi up and running beautifully with no hangups thanks to your suggestions!
    Please as a newbie gorilla i would like your opinions on leaving the wrap or cellophane on cigars i place in my humidor. Will say here in south fla. the temps been high around 76 degrees maybe 78 in the afternoon with the ac on but i have been at a comfy 70 per humidity. Do you apes leave your sticks wrapped or do you remove them when you put them in your humidor?

thanks
    bandit
    have really enjoyed all your ideas!!!!!!!!!!
    ps does the cellophane help at all with cigar beetles!
    The truth may hurt, but it doesn't hurt as much as Jack Bauer.

"I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe But at least I'm enjoying the ride, at least I'll enjoy the ride"
    Jerry Garcia

Ann Coulter's Cabana Boy Corona Gigante's Avatar

Re: To Wrap or Unwrap

I unwrap mine, many people prefer not to.

One thing you shouldn't do is mix wrapped and unwrapped cigars in a humidor or in a baggie when shipping them. The cellophane will damage the naked sticks' wrappers.

And no, I am told that a cellophane wrapper will not deter a beetle. They chew right through them.
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
    ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Corona Gigante
    I unwrap mine, many people prefer not to.

One thing you shouldn't do is mix wrapped and unwrapped cigars in a humidor or in a baggie when shipping them. The cellophane will damage the naked sticks' wrappers.

And no, I am told that a cellophane wrapper will not deter a beetle. They chew right through them.
    Corona Gigante! way to handle that one... I think im getting old cuz i was ready to.....
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...eys/AR15-1.gif A Person that says something cant be done, shouldn't interrupt me actually fukking doing it! http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ys/LAR15-1.gif

[SIZE="4"]
    Icehog3 and pnoon '08
    Rock the Vote
    [/SIZE]

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Baric's Avatar

I leave smokes im gonna smoke soon in the cello, but i tak the rest out so i can smell, feel and inspect them [not meant to sound rude lol]

Puffer Fish with many spikes Junior's Avatar

I always leave them wrapped until they make it to the top tray of my desktop humidor. From everything I have seen it is more of a personal choice or preference.
    "God Created Men But Sam Colt Made 'em Equal"

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: To Wrap or Unwrap

You will certainly get many varying opinions on this topic. Personally, I like to remove the cello, as I believe the cigars will benefit from aging faster than with the cello left on. It's common knowledge that cigars that come in alumminum tubes, if left in the tubes, will take much longer to age properly, than if the tubes are removed. Although cello is different than alumminum tubes, the principle is the same.

JohnnyFlake

SvilleKid

I leave mine on. More personal preference than any other thing. Be warned, though, that if you leave them wrapped, humidification takes longer, so you will need to let those rest longer.

And, I have actually had a beetle stopped inside of a cello, so I guess there might be some small chance they won't always chew thru! Less chance of damage in moving the cigars around. If I stick a cigar in my shirt pocket for a smoke later, it doesn't dry out as fast, and doesn't get foot damage from rubbing against other items that might be in my pockets.

OTOH, those gorillas that unwrap theirs can give you just as many valid reasons that they prefer theirs naked!!

RGD

[SIZE="4"]The absolute most correct way is:[/SIZE]

. . . whatever you want to do. On or off - does not matter.

Ron

Nothing like a nice yellow wrapper to show some age on that cigar....the oils leach out and get on the celli.

Drrgill
    Life is to short to Smoke Cheap Cigars or Drink Cheap
    Wine !!!

Socks Are Older Than Me StudentSmoker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RGD
    [SIZE="4"]The absolute most correct way is:[/SIZE]

. . . whatever you want to do. On or off - does not matter.

Ron

Try storing a few of the same smokes with cellophane and a few without, then smoke em. Whichever you like best should be the way you go. The great thing about cigars is that experiments with them usually involves smoking them.

MY 2 cents is that I think they age a bit better w/o wrappers but get so beat up that I leave them on. Unless of course you have a box which generally protects them enough that its wrapper off.
    [SIZE="2"] http://kenstogie.googlepages.com The "Official" Kenstogie Webpage [/SIZE]

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish zamco17's Avatar

Naked baby, Yeah!!!!
    Smoke Em IF You Got Em!!!!

I use to unwrap because of how it looked. But i have a few sticks damaged so if they come with cello, i keep it on.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Fireman_UK's Avatar

Gotta use protection to stay safe!

"The other night, one of the guys lit two matches by mistake, it was the biggest fire these guys have ever seen." Dennis Leary as Tommy Gavin, Rescue Me.

Completely up to you what you do.

I always unwrap mine i can check them etc, also i find that wrapped will damage unwrapped cigars. I also dont think its attractive IMO.

Just do what you want, its a free country (well sort of)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast