Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Are my cigars sick?

This is a discussion on Are my cigars sick? within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I just smoked a Room 101 OSOK that got some strange flavors after the first inch. It was sort of ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Are my cigars sick?

I just smoked a Room 101 OSOK that got some strange flavors after the first inch. It was sort of chemically/floral I think. I also had a couple other cigars with similar problems, a nub with lack of flavor but a strange aftertaste that was similar, and also a DPG Black similar to the OSOK. They also seem to make me feel nauseous. I've eaten a meal within 3 hours prior. Cigars are stored at 62% RH and are anywhere from a week to a few months old.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Targets locked on... Phil from Chicago's Avatar

Re: Are my cigars sick?

I sure hope not man!!! crosses fingers*

Could be sick. Is there an ammonia smell?

Quote Originally Posted by socalocmatt View Post
    Could be sick. Is there an ammonia smell?
    I really can't tell. I tried to smell it before lighting and didn't get anything. I tried to smell it while it was burning near the cherry, but didn't get anything. Usually the normal smoke burns my nose, so I don't even know if I could tell anyway.

If they are sick, is there anything I can do to make them better?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ko4000's Avatar

If they are sick all you can do is give it time.
    This is my Signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

Maturing Puffer Fish

what exactly does ammonia smell like? i've been asking some friends but nobody seems to know.
    "Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar" -MT

Have you purged them as your smoking em?
    Veni Vidi Vici

The cigars may not be sick, but you may have a touch of a bug... can't smell foot, smoke not burning nose, feeling nausea...sinus infection, maybe?
    Being willing is not enough, we must do. - Leonardo da Vinci.

I typically don't associate a sick period with NC's , that said ammonia can be present for the first 2 yrs of their life.
    Time cures this as does air exchange
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock View Post
    The cigars may not be sick, but you may have a touch of a bug... can't smell foot, smoke not burning nose, feeling nausea...sinus infection, maybe?
    Hopefully, you are not becoming sick, Brent.

My question is, were all the suspect cigars stored in the same humidor? I had a bundle of seconds go sick and it seemed that all the cigars in that tupperdor went sick with them. Maybe the natural gasses given off from the bundle just kind of contaminated the other cigars. Do not fret, this is a natural condition and it passes. I just started to open the tupperdor a couple times a day to exchange air and about three weeks later, all the cigars were OK, maybe even a little bit more flavorful.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    I typically don't associate a sick period with NC's , that said ammonia can be present for the first 2 yrs of their life.
    Time cures this as does air exchange
    I would agree with Al & say that there is more chance that maybe those particular cigars may enjoy a slightly higher RH than 62%. "Sick" is not something I associate with non cuban cigars but "rest" is something that will aid you on your journey with many.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyguy5757 View Post
    what exactly does ammonia smell like? i've been asking some friends but nobody seems to know.
    Go to your local store & buy a cleaning product that contains a high percentage of ammonia, take a wary sniff at it. You will NOT forget that smell.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm just worried about wasting all these super premium cigars people have been so nice to give me. I have tried purging the cigar, and that flavor comes back after a few puffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    My question is, were all the suspect cigars stored in the same humidor? I had a bundle of seconds go sick and it seemed that all the cigars in that tupperdor went sick with them. Maybe the natural gasses given off from the bundle just kind of contaminated the other cigars. Do not fret, this is a natural condition and it passes. I just started to open the tupperdor a couple times a day to exchange air and about three weeks later, all the cigars were OK, maybe even a little bit more flavorful.
    The problem is that everything is stored in the same coolidor. That's all I have. I normally open the cooler a few times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock View Post
    I can smell the foot but have a hard time picking up an ammonia smell when it is unlit. The smoke does also burn my nose, so I have a hard time determining what is ammonia and what is a normal smoke burn. The nausea also comes maybe half way in, it's not instantaneous and I don't believe I have any other symptoms of a sinus infection.

Wait it out, time heals all things cigar.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do