Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Cigars taste like wood, but why?

This is a discussion on Cigars taste like wood, but why? within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; Hello, I have had my humidor for about 1 1/2 now and I have recently switched to Heartfelt Beads as ...

Newbie in the ocean

Cigars taste like wood, but why?

Hello,

I have had my humidor for about 1 1/2 now and I have recently switched to Heartfelt Beads as my humidification device.
    A week ago I smoked a Macanudo Cafe and it tasted just fine, but today I decided to smoke a Cohiba Robusto and it tasted like Spanish cedar with a small hint of tobacco. I have smoked the same cigar 2 months ago and it was absolutely amazing! What could it be? I haven't done anything different in the past month.

Thanks in advance!

Full blown Puffer Dish earcutter's Avatar

Re: Cigars taste like wood, but why?

Quote Originally Posted by Furious_13 View Post
    Hello,

I have had my humidor for about 1 1/2 now and I have recently switched to Heartfelt Beads as my humidification device.
    A week ago I smoked a Macanudo Cafe and it tasted just fine, but today I decided to smoke a Cohiba Robusto and it tasted like Spanish cedar with a small hint of tobacco. I have smoked the same cigar 2 months ago and it was absolutely amazing! What could it be? I haven't done anything different in the past month.

Thanks in advance!
    Well yeah - you did do something different. But how different? Did you go to a different RH level when you switched to the HF Beads?
    "Only Satan can grant man the faculty of expelling smoke through the mouth." - the Spanish Inquisition

Newbie in the ocean

The humidity did change. It changed from 73% to 62% RH.
    That was about 2 months ago, but I had a cigar last week and it was just fine. I don't think it was the change.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Furious_13 View Post
    The humidity did change. It changed from 73% to 62% RH.
    That was about 2 months ago, but I had a cigar last week and it was just fine. I don't think it was the change.
    It could be simple inconsistency between two hand-made items. Although, I too like the Cohiba Robusto very much (I think I am in the minority) and they are pretty consistent. I store them at 62%-65% and use Heartfelt beads with no obvious wood "taint". So it may be your taste buds acting wierd (something you ate or drank, etc). I'd try another one.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I've found if I smoke Cohiba Red dots very slow, to the point of almost going out between puffs, that I can get those wonderful nutty leather notes. But if smoked to fast or if its windy they are not the same. I guess this goes for all cigars but I thought I'd throw it out there.