Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best/Cheapest place to buy cigars online?

This is a discussion on Best/Cheapest place to buy cigars online? within the Cigar Questions forums, part of the General Cigar Discussion category; I've recently started to get into cigars and wanted to know where the cheapest and most reliable place to get ...

Best/Cheapest place to buy cigars online?

I've recently started to get into cigars and wanted to know where the cheapest and most reliable place to get them online was?

Also, what brand of humidors would you guys recommend?

Any "beginner" cigars you'd like to recommend as well?

Since I am short on money and such, i have begun to smoke the arturo fuente curly heads and the baccarrat petit corona. Anymore suggestions? Thanks

Re: Best/Cheapest place to buy cigars online?

Welcome from a fellow newbie. You'll get some great info and recommendations here. I can't help much since I tend to like a stronger smoke, and might have a slightly higher budget. Usually in the $4 to $7 range. I am a big fan of the CAO MX2, the Fuente 8-5-8 Maduro, and the Macanudo Maduro Hyde Park. All are around $6.

Newbie in the ocean

Most of my online business has been with Famous and JR. Others here will have more suggestions. I've not found any online shop that has the lowest price on every brand, so shop around.

For a good, inexpensive cigar, it's tough to beat the Punch or HdM Rothschilds. By the box, they're about $2 each.

I'm interested in humidor recommendations as well. I have only had one store-bought humidor, and it wouldn't hold moisture for more than a day. I've got a couple of home-made jobs that stay right at 70%. The smaller one is a RubberMaid container, the larger an igloo cooler. Both lined with lots of spanish cedar.

Cannon

Never done any online ordering. However, I do have a couple of good inexpensive cigars. Try any of the Flor de Olivas. You can get a bundle for around $25 - $30, which is just a little over $1 per stick. If you really want to learn a lot about cigars, find a local cigar shop and hang out there. I've been to quite a few in the last year and have yet to leave without learning something new. Welcome board!
    "We just stepped on their face with a hobnail boot and broke their nose"
    Famed UGA announcer Larry Munson (after UGA's defeat of UT in Knoxville on October 6, 2001)

Quote Originally Posted by alwest74
    Never done any online ordering. However, I do have a couple of good inexpensive cigars. Try any of the Flor de Olivas. You can get a bundle for around $25 - $30, which is just a little over $1 per stick. If you really want to learn a lot about cigars, find a local cigar shop and hang out there. I've been to quite a few in the last year and have yet to leave without learning something new. Welcome board!
    True nuf. Spend some time at a local shop, get to know the employees and patrons and ask away. We are all willing to share our opinions on good and bad smokes.

I have a few of the Flor de Oliva in my humi waiting to be smoked too.

Try, Cigar King, Phat Ash (same place but have different prices on specials)
    J&R and Cigar International.

Jerry in Minnesota.
    Proud Past Rider Of The Short Bus...

Muldar

Absolutey it has to be cigarbid.com

You can get some great deals, if you dont get caught up in the frenzy of "I'm not gonna let that sucker outbid me!"

It is run by Cigars International and I have never had a single problem with them.

Check it out at...

www.cigarbid.com

Cigarbid is the place I get the best deals. Bid on many auctions at low ball prices to do the best, don't fret when you lose an auction because the item will turn up again in 2-3 days again tops. Cigar International runs cigarbid, always check the price of the cigar there before bidding on it. Ocassionally the cigar is not also availbe on CI, but it usually is. Often you will see overcompetitive bidders paying more on cigarbid auctions than the Cigar International price. When setting up your Cigar Bid account, be sure to choose weekly shipping option to save a bundle on shipping charges. All of your "wins" in a week are combined into a single shipment and you only pay full shipping price on the highest item; each additional item is usually $0.50 or $1.00.

Other Online retailers that have good prices on various smokes:
    Thompson Cigar
    JR Cigars
    Phat Ash Cigars
    White Ash Cigars

My beginner cigar reccomendations are also the cigars that frequent cigar smokers enjoy on a daily basis. The cigars that are good yet cheap.
    Here are a few I can I highly recommend: these are seconds/overruns of very good smokes. They may have blemishes on the wrapper leaf and won't have the fancy band/packaging but otherwise have the same tobacco inside; they are highly enjoyable smokes:

Consuegra (AKA "Connie") - seconds from the manufacturers of Hoyo de Monterrey, Punch, Belinda and El Rey Del Mundo $25-$35 per bundle of 25.

Roly - Puros Indios seconds $15 - $35 in bundles of 20 or 25

OLD FASHIONED - Macanudo and Partagas Seconds - $20 - $40 in bundles of 20.

El Credito - seconds of La Gloria Cubana, I haven't done these myself yet, but on another forum a reviewer liked one soo much he used a corn dog stick he found in his truck as a makeshift roach clip so he could smoke it down to nothing! These are sold by size "grouping" so when you buy them you get SM, Med, Lg, XL general sizing.

Flor de Oliva - Olivia seconds that I am going to have to try as many raves I have read about them.

You could also look into "sandwich" or "mixed filler" cigars. These also use the same tobacco as their more expensive siblings, but use a mixture of the clippings from the full sized leaves as filler instead of "long filler". I have had some excellent short filler cigars. Cigar snobs will turn their nose at them, but there are some sandwiches that are even out of my normal price range (Drew Estate La Perla Habana - $5/stick, but look for them on auction and you can sometimes get 'em for $2/stick)

If you want a decent box cigar that sells everywhere at an affordable price you might want to try La Finca in the corona size. I generally smoke larger ring and longer cigars, but the corona really shines in this brand. At one time before the boom I got them at $23/box. During the boom they skyrocketed to $80/box after a favorable review in CA's buying guide issue. They can now be had for around $30/box.

For your cigar storage build yourself a humidor from an Ice Chest. Search cigar forums or the web for Coolerdor, Coolador, Koolerdor, Koolador, Igloodor and the similar. The one I am using now was made with an Igloo 48 qt "Ice Cube" cooler ($12.88 @ WalMart), a $19.99 Radio Shack digital hygrometer, and 1/2 pound of Climaxx Premier Media beads (65% variety) in a nylon stocking. ($23/lb for the Climaxx beads, stocking stolen from wife). The cooler is holding 200 cigars right now at a rock steady 67%, and has room for at least another 200-400 cigars depending on the size. Some people will line theirs with spanish cedar and construct fancy shelves and/or drawers in theirs; I just stack the boxes and put 5 packs and samplers into old empty boxes. You can house 1000's of cigars this way and protect them very well for little investment. If you want then you can also buy any old 10-25 capacity humidor with a super fancy finish for the ones you are going to smoke near term; I keep my soon-to-smokes in a floating tray at the top of the cooler that came with it.

By the way, this is my first post here; hopefully it helps.
    Matt

Hey txmatt, nice post. Sure to be helpful. Welcome to da jungle.
    Still hefing after all these years......

A couple of online retailers I really like are www.holts.com and Bonita Smoke Shop. Both have great customer service and good selections at reasoble prices. I buy almost all my cigars online due to the high taxes in California.

SB
    Alcohol content by volume:
    Guiness 4.0%
    Bud Light 4.2%
    Realbeer

God

I have found that some of the best deals and selections on line at:
    www.jrcigars.com
    www.cigarsinternational.com
    www.cigarbid.com
    www.cigarking.com
    www.phatash.com
    www.atlanticcigar.com

I believe that Cigar King will send you a nifty cap with their logo a nice glass ashtray with your first order. There are several other sites, many of which have been listed already that I have heard are very good as well.

As mentioned earlier be sure and find a local shop and get to know the staff. They can provide a wealth of information on different smokes that will help you define your tastes. You can buy one or two sticks to try them before investing a lot of money only to find that the cigar isn't for you. Plus, even though I purchase quite a bit online, I always try to support the local shops. Many times the prices are very close to the same.

Welcome to the Jungle... have fun and be careful feeding the primates... sometimes they bite back... LOL!

Thanks for all the comments/feedback guys.

Anyone order from www.famous-smoke.com ? Their prices/deals seem to be pretty good but I don't know about the customer service.

Daniel

Puffer Fish with some spikes Treyjo43's Avatar

Famous is a great place good prices and CS, but I have to say Thompson's sucks ass I would avoid them at all costs...

Another good place is www.mrbundles.com , great bundles and he also has awesome prices on the boxed cigars he carrys.

Quote Originally Posted by DKim81
    Thanks for all the comments/feedback guys.

Anyone order from www.famous-smoke.com ? Their prices/deals seem to be pretty good but I don't know about the customer service.

Daniel
    I haven't used them before, but the Baccarat special (Baccarat Sumatra #1 $19.99/25) on the front page looks nice. Their El Credito selection is huge but their prices are a bit high. Their Flor De Olivia prices on the other hand are cheaper than I have seen elsewhere. The Roly Robustos for $1/stick look decent as well. Usually I can only end up with 5 packs in that range on cigarbid - the bundles end up more like $1.25 to $1.50 when the smoke clears. They definitely have one of the widest selections of bundles I have seen anywhere. I added them to my Stogie links folder! :

Matt

Maturing Puffer Fish NewGeneration85's Avatar

***************.com

Best prices I've found anywhere, and a great selection.
    "Those things will give you cancer"
    "Only, my dear, if you do it wrong"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast