Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Troop Pictures and Letters!

This is a discussion on Troop Pictures and Letters! within the Cigars for the Troops forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; Gentlemen, Just thought I would tell you a very short story.... One of my guys, SGT Chatham had a younger ...

No longer a community member.

Re: Troop Pictures and Letters!

Gentlemen,
    Just thought I would tell you a very short story....

One of my guys, SGT Chatham had a younger brother who was killed 2 years ago. They used to smoke cigars together and now SGT Chatham only smokes one per year. He does this on the anniversary of his brothers passing. Yesterday was the anniversary. He came into my office and I told him to pick whatever he wanted. He went off to spend some time with himself and smoke the cigar in remembrance of his brother. Just another story of how your dontations are being used over here. Thanks again for everything.
    Jeff

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Zdunczyk, Stephen SSG RES USAR USARC

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post

These pics are great Dave!
    Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

A nice Postcard From John Butcher

This is a letter I asked for for you guy's at Puff to understand what you are doing. This man and I email fairly often and it is my goal to meet him is person here in the states.

Steve Thanks for this heartfelt letter my friend we Love every single one of you guy's and can always count on us!! in any way we can help we will.

Being a deployed soldier is a lot harder than it looks. You don’t let on how hard or how lonely it is. That would be showing weakness, and you have to keep a strong constitution for your soldiers. You look for things to kill the boredom and keep morale up. For me, the highlight of each day was returning to my room and celebrating with a cigar. I loved sharing the experience of a fine cigar with my brothers-in-arms. It became an indelible part of the deployment experience. I was fortunate to have met fellow cigar-loving soldiers during my deployment and to have met cigar-loving civilians online. A friend introduced me to Dave (Smelvis) on the Puff , com board and the next thing I knew I was receiving boxes of cigars, snacks, toiletries and other goodies for me and my fellow soldiers. Words cannot describe the joy of hearing your name during mail call and then realizing you have several boxes of goodies to share with your army family.

The worst time was the holidays. Everyone was secretly (or openly) miserable about missing Christmas with their friends and families. Leadership knows this is a hard time so they create some sort of mandatory celebration where the secret agenda is watching over the soldiers who should not be alone. I was secretly depressed from a mission two days earlier where I got to see the real poverty and despair of the people of Iraq. I felt twice as bad feeling guilty about not being home when I saw the people of Iraq who didn’t even have a home. I felt horrible. Then (cue the choir of angels) 3 packages arrived for me right before Christmas. These boxes were stuffed so full of cigars and accessories that every soldier who wanted some got a 5-pack of cigars. This made our holidays. Everywhere I went, I saw soldiers who might have been hiding in their rooms alone, outside and having their own mini-herfs with their donated cigars. The timing was perfect and it made a very difficult time so much easier. I also developed some deep friendships because of those cigars, and even though we have scattered back to our separate corners of the U.S., we remain good friends. Nothing brings friends together like a good cigar. On behalf of my brothers and sisters of the U.S. military, we thank you for your support. You don’t know how much it means to us.

SSG Stephen Zdunczyk
    328th ESC

I just got chills reading that... WOW! I cannot imagine what those guys go through. Knowing that the smallest gesture of donating something like cigars and/or snacks really brings these fine soldiers some joy is indescribable in my heart. Thank you for sharing that Dave.

Anthony asked me to post these for him so here they are!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes sweater88's Avatar

I love this thread
    "Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets"-----Ron Swanson

Tony asked me to post these as well.

If you don't find some soon I'll send some over!

Letter from Captain Jeff

Puffer Fish with some spikes jumpmaster's Avatar

David,

WOW!! Thank you and everyone who gives to the "cigar for troops" program very much, the packages arrived around the 9th of Sep just in time to commerate the 10th anniversary of the tragic event in America that has changed so many of our lives.
    I am writing a formal thank you letter, but wanted to send a quick note and pictures, to you and all the great BOTLs that put forth the great effort to make our lives as comfortable as possible over here in Afghanistan. It is these gestures that make the days and longs weeks bearable. The letter will be accompanied by a Flag of The United States that I flew over the Kabul International Airfield to honor the brave men and women serving our great nation today and commerate the 10th anniversary of the World Trade Center tragedy.
    The service members in my unit are deeply honored by your hospitality. Given the events that have happened here in Kabul within the last few days, tonights cigar was much needed. Once again thank you and all the great BOTLs here on Puff.

SGM Tracy Dykstra
    AKA "Jumpmaster"

Thanks Tracy now they will always be here for us to see!

Dave

And From another of our Favorite Puffers SFC Thomas Hennig

I think it's Cigar and Picture night!

Thom say's
    I wanted to drop you a short note and tell you thank you again. The weather is starting to cool to tolerable temperatures and we dont have to smoke at 4am to enjoy it anymore. Tonight we pulled out a laptop and projector, fired up some cigars, and watched "Smokey and the Bandit." It was just a real good time and not much conversation occured, but you could tell that it really helped relax everybody. We all walked away from our little "smoke session" a little bit happier and it is thanks to you and all the other supporters. I leave you with these pictures.

Thumbs up Re: Troop Pictures and Letters!

Thom said I could share this with ya all.

Thanks Thom hope to smoke with you someday bro!

Hey Dave and Dave,

Hope things are going well. I see that you have a whole team of guys busy
    as heck helping with the Troop Rally and that's awesome.

We have had a long deployment and although it wasn't terribly busy or
    dangerous, when Soldiers have too much spare time bad things usually
    develop. Me getting into cigars and pulling some of the guys with me has
    really helped build some strong bonds. We are already a very close, tight
    knit community, but sharing a cigar with friends in a relaxed atmosphere
    helps tear down some of the formality of the rank structure and allows the
    guys to speak a little more freely about issues they have.

We have greatly enjoyed the cigars, treats, magazines, thoughts, and prayers
    that everybody has been so generous to donate. We are on the home stretch
    here in Iraq and will probably only be able to accept 1 more package before
    we start breaking down our humidors and mailing what is left of our stock
    home. I get told "Thank You" all the time and stuff like " If it wasn't for
    you guys being over there, I wouldn't be able to enjoy my cigars back here."
    The truth of the matter is that we are all on the same team. We all value
    our freedom and we all like a good cigar. I am just one of the lucky
    Soldiers that has been fortunate enough to be remembered by the great folks
    here.

The next couple of months will be hard on us as we start packing up to go
    home. There is still great uncertainty on when we will actually go home and
    that just compounds issues with the homefront. I would love to tell my wife
    and daughter when I will be home, but the fact of the matter is, we simply
    do not know. Worse is that once we do know, we cannot tell them. She is
    lucky to have a great support system back at home through the other spouses
    in our EOD community. I am dually lucky that my Brothers of the Leaf will
    do nearly as much to support me as my Brothers in Arms.

On behalf of my guys and myself, Thank You.

SFC Thomas Hennig
    774 EOD Operations
    COB Adder, USD-S

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast