Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wow!!!

This is a discussion on Wow!!! within the Cigars for the Troops forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; Hi to all from Iraq. I just joined this forum a couple days ago and recently started to pick up ...

Wow!!!

Hi to all from Iraq. I just joined this forum a couple days ago and recently started to pick up a cigar. Smoked a really nice Padron (not sure of the name) the other night and have already dropped some of my hard earned money on some other sticks. All this said, I want everyone that follows these posts to know what we all think of them. I told Smelvis last night that mail from the states is all that keeps us going sometimes. I even joked with him and told him that a Best Buy add from home is even great...just knowing that it came from home.

I just want to say a big THANK YOU to all who donate and send our way. It's not as bad now in Iraq as when I was here in 2003/2004, but it still is a bit nervewracking. As I've read through all 98 pages of Smelvis' post regarding folks that donate as well as all 25 pages of Owaindav's post, all I can say is WOW. The outpouring of support that you guys show to us is amazing. I've read so many comments from folks along the lines of "It's the least I could do" or "Hey, they're over there fighting, I'm over here smoking...they should be doing the same" (paraphrasing there a bit) that I've truly become speechless. Most military members have the same attitude as you guys do "It's the least I can do". We are called to do a duty that we don't mind doing. Remember, our service is now all volunteer, no draft. Nobody is forced to be in the military. There are those of us that truly love what we do. I've been in almost 18 years now and honestly, I couldn't see my life as doing anything different. Has it all been a bed of roses? Hell no. However, I wouldn't trade it for anything. "Ne regretter rien"...Regret Nothing.

All the above said, would I love to be able to get in on this free cigars? You bet ya. However, if I never receive 1 single pc of anything from anyone associated with this board, I can still die a happy man knowing that there are caring people all around that truly do give a crap about what we do to protect freedom.

Cheers...off to smoke something...

Kevin

Civilian Mr. Clean Who Killed Thursby?'s Avatar

Re: Wow!!!

My hat's off to you sir, excellent post and outlook, and thank you for your lengthy service!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

Well said sir. I am sure you hear this from home all the time but we do appreciate your service. Leaving love ones behind and living the military lifestyle is something most of us will never experience in our lives. But I do sleep better at night know that men and women like your self are out there on the lines.
    Thanks again for all your sacrifices. Be safe.

Semper Fi

this says it better than i can

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ejgarnut View Post
    this says it better than i can

Terry,

Thanks for that video. I must confess however that I cannot watch it. Not because my internet here in the box sucks @ss, but I can't watch it because I will get too choked up. I've seen and done things in the military that I will never be able to talk about to anyone, family included. I've seen friends die before my eyes, and I've seen enemies die because of me. I don't let that live inside me and drive me crazy. I've made my peace with my maker. I can't watch videos like that because I get too choked up, too teary eyed, too emotional. I cannot stand and watch the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery without crying. If you've never been to Washington DC to see it, I highly encourage anyone to do so. I promise you it will change your life forever. I go to eat dinner and if there's a vet with a hat on that says "Vietnam", "WWII", "Korea", anything like that (I know you've seen them), they eat free. I don't let them know that I'm the one paying, but I've had that happen all too often when I'm out at lunch in uniform. The least I can do is repay the favor for those that have blazed the trail before me.

Again, thank you for the support Terry and I appreciate the video. I'm sure it's good, but I'll probably never complete the whole thing.

Kevin

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

Kevin, thank you for your service...I am a Gulf War Era vet (didn't get to go) but did what they wanted me to. Many people appreciate your service, right now just unable to show it in the right way...so gave you an RG bump!!
    Here's to us and those like us!
    God Bless our Troops...especially our Snipers!

Kevin

I understand and respect your reasoning for not viewing it.

Dave/smelvis is usually on in the late evenings. Maybe we can get you hooked up with him, and get some sticks headed your way. Hell, even reading through 98 pages of that thread should earn you some cigars lol..

Thank you for your service and may God bless and keep you safe.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night. - Unknown

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by smirak View Post
    I go to eat dinner and if there's a vet with a hat on that says "Vietnam", "WWII", "Korea", anything like that (I know you've seen them), they eat free. I don't let them know that I'm the one paying, but I've had that happen all too often when I'm out at lunch in uniform. The least I can do is repay the favor for those that have blazed the trail before me.
    Kevin
    Kevin what a great idea! Man how I wish I'd have thought to do that the times I've seen men and women in uniform when I'm out eating! Every time I see someone with one of those hats or someone in uniform, I want to go shake their hand and thank them. I hate to say that I usually don't because I don't want them to think I'm some nut job. (No comments from the Peanut Gallery! LOL) Now I have a way to thank them without an akward moment. Thanks for that.

BTW, I see you have Mississippi in your profile. You a Mississippi boy then? I'm just across the state line in Alabama. PM me and let me know what part of MS and maybe when you get home, I'll buy ya a beer!
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

... I cannot stand and watch the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery without crying.
    If it makes you feel any better, I cry like a little girl when I watch that too. I'm not a vet, I considered it once upon a time but back then they didn't want me, but I'm an American and I love this country and I know what those men in that tomb fought and died for.

My thanks to you and all the other servicemen and women on puff for your service.

-Matt
    Man I wish I had something witty and inspiring to say. Or even a URL to share.

Quote Originally Posted by owaindav View Post
    Kevin what a great idea! Man how I wish I'd have thought to do that the times I've seen men and women in uniform when I'm out eating! Every time I see someone with one of those hats or someone in uniform, I want to go shake their hand and thank them. I hate to say that I usually don't because I don't want them to think I'm some nut job. (No comments from the Peanut Gallery! LOL) Now I have a way to thank them without an akward moment. Thanks for that.

BTW, I see you have Mississippi in your profile. You a Mississippi boy then? I'm just across the state line in Alabama. PM me and let me know what part of MS and maybe when you get home, I'll buy ya a beer!
    What do you know...a fellow southerner...shoulda guessed by the outpouring of support...us southerners are always willing to help anyone (and we'll throw in a Washingtonian in there as well...Smelvis). All too often, we are looked at as the armpit of America because we are fat, poor, smelly, etc... I live just outside of Jackson but won't be home again until November. I'll surely take you up on that beer offer sometime as well...especially since MS is one of only two states left in America (WV is the other) that still have a cap on the ABV they are allowed to sell in beer. Nothing over 6% in MS. Sucks butt...was actually a homebrewer in MS for years, but then I moved to KS and could actually get some better beer there, so I stopped doing it.

Kevin

Puffer Fish with many spikes bcannon87's Avatar

Thank you so much for the job you do!! Because of the men and women of the armed services we get to enjoy a life of freedom!! Your service to our county means alot and again Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcannon87 View Post

Thank you so much for the job you do!! Because of the men and women of the armed services we get to enjoy a life of freedom!! Your service to our county means alot and again Thank you!!
    Thanks Billy...pretty big Johnny Cash fan myself, and that' probably my all time favorite "song" of his.

Kevin

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

What do you know...a fellow southerner...shoulda guessed by the outpouring of support...us southerners are always willing to help anyone (and we'll throw in a Washingtonian in there as well...Smelvis). All too often, we are looked at as the armpit of America because we are fat, poor, smelly, etc... I live just outside of Jackson but won't be home again until November. I'll surely take you up on that beer offer sometime as well...especially since MS is one of only two states left in America (WV is the other) that still have a cap on the ABV they are allowed to sell in beer. Nothing over 6% in MS. Sucks butt...was actually a homebrewer in MS for years, but then I moved to KS and could actually get some better beer there, so I stopped doing it.

Kevin
    Sweet! We'll have to keep in touch. I've made beer before but didn't like the stuff I made at all.
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader primetime76's Avatar

I have sent to Dave for the troops and will be sending again very soon...please do speak with Smelvis and he will get you cigars for you and your brothers over there. Great post! Enjoy your smokes and stay safe!
    It is easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission!

No DC for intra-theatre mail.... But you may want to warn your mail clerk!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast