Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Cigars for the traveling service members

This is a discussion on Cigars for the traveling service members within the Cigars for the Troops forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; I am an airline pilot and thus run into a lot of service members while walking through the various terminals ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes rjacobs's Avatar

Cigars for the traveling service members

I am an airline pilot and thus run into a lot of service members while walking through the various terminals I am in every day as well as on the flights I fly. I generally try to go thank every one of them when I can if I am not running between flights myself. I have recently(just last month) gotten a 15 count Cigar Caddy(in addition to the 5 count for my personal cigars) and have been bringing cigars to hand out, this doesnt last a whole trip(4 days) so I think I am going to get a second one(or a 40 count and only carry one). I have been doing this on my own and it doesnt cost me much since I generally hand out inexpensive cigars. If anybody is interested in donating some stogies to the cause, let me know and I will set you up with my address. The only thing I request is that the cigars are in cello without the portion by the foot cut-off to protect the cigar. I also generally hand out more of a mild cigar since I am never sure if they are a cigar smoker or not. I tell them if they arent to please pass it on to another service member.

The other thing I was thinking about doing with this is to make up a little card saying something like "this cigar was provided by members of puff.com" or something like that. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

No longer a community member.

Re: Cigars for the traveling service members

Hi Bobby
    One idea instead of the card would be to order cigars with Puff.com bands on them I did a few boxes myself. I think what you are doing is a great idea bro my first year Ron and I spent a ton of money out of our own pockets well over $10,000.

No disrespect but after you have been around a little longer and I see you supporting the efforts we have already going on I would be more than happy to donate a box here and there. It is a great way of saying welcome home! Very cool and please don't take my comments negative you have just got here and I need to get to know you better first but that's just me.

If your interested in the band idea pm me and I think I can find those who do this there are several companies now.

Welcome to Puff.

Dave

Not a more giving brother on the board then Dave IMO. Bobby, stick around, the troops will be taken care of I'm sure.

No disrespect taken. I know I am new and am also new at handing cigars out to the troops on the airport. Have given out probably only 3 boxes so far. Only being able to carry 15 I have run out so far on every trip in August I did it on. I have been trying to find boxes(or bundles) for $25-30 on C-bid and so far have been successful. I will shoot you a PM about where to order cigars with custom bands, but can it be done cheap enough? I dont want to be spending $50 a box just to have a custom band when I can print out a shit load of small cards on one sheet of paper and cut them out and slide them in the cello. To me(and so far the reaction I have seen) is that its not about the cigar(because most dont know jack about cigars) its about the thought. The guys that seem to appreciate it the most are the new, very young, army privates.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

One of the things we do around here is ensure that things are Kosher and while I think what you would like to do is admirable we need to ensure that your time on here is well spent so we can get to know you better as you've just joined this Forum. Once we get to know that side of you I'm sure that a lot of people will support you as well in this endeavor.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    One of the things we do around here is ensure that things are Kosher and while I think what you would like to do is admirable we need to ensure that your time on here is well spent so we can get to know you better as you've just joined this Forum. Once we get to know that side of you I'm sure that a lot of people will support you as well in this endeavor.

And I would expect nothing less. I try to make posts that add something and not just garbage that I read on a lot of other forums just to get a post count up.

I will keep this thread updated with my progress on this.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Welcome Bobby, good to have you aboard! (Sorry, couldn't help that!)

Anyway...thank you for taking the time to thank our great Service Members. I applaud you for doing such. The deserve the cigar and a handshake...and I am so thankful for people like you...who get to interact with such on a regular basis... take that time!

+1 on what others have said here...stick around, let us get to know you...and you will be set brother!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

If anybody finds any deals on bundles in the $25-35 range that are decent shoot me a PM or post them up on here so I can grab them. I have not smoked a ton of stuff yet so some of these bundles in that price range are terrible and some can be really good. I have been checking out Famous's Value Line and some have gotten good reviews and others not so good reviews, but I personally havent tried one yet. I wish I could afford to give out $10 cigars, but I cant so the cheaper stuff is where I am at, but at the same time I dont want to give out dog rockets. Its a fine line to walk I guess.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    No disrespect taken. I know I am new and am also new at handing cigars out to the troops on the airport. Have given out probably only 3 boxes so far. Only being able to carry 15 I have run out so far on every trip in August I did it on. I have been trying to find boxes(or bundles) for $25-30 on C-bid and so far have been successful. I will shoot you a PM about where to order cigars with custom bands, but can it be done cheap enough? I dont want to be spending $50 a box just to have a custom band when I can print out a shit load of small cards on one sheet of paper and cut them out and slide them in the cello. To me(and so far the reaction I have seen) is that its not about the cigar(because most dont know jack about cigars) its about the thought. The guys that seem to appreciate it the most are the new, very young, army privates.

In the meantime since you are looking for decent lower cost cigars try c-bid and look for Nica Libre I smoke this as a cheaper daily type I got boxes around $30

Another thought is check out holts and others that sell 50 cabs of the house brand, Cubre Libre? I am not sure of but the price is right and they are not bad fresh I'm hoping a six moth rest will make them a real decent buy.

Scotch & Cigars

Oba Oba Robusto, Maduro or Natural, they are fantastic little smokes...2 bundle deal is $64

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    In the meantime since you are looking for decent lower cost cigars try c-bid and look for Nica Libre I smoke this as a cheaper daily type I got boxes around $30

Another thought is check out holts and others that sell 50 cabs of the house brand, Cubre Libre? I am not sure of but the price is right and they are not bad fresh I'm hoping a six moth rest will make them a real decent buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock31 View Post
    Oba Oba Robusto, Maduro or Natural, they are fantastic little smokes...2 bundle deal is $64
    I will check both out thanks. I am done working for this month already(got vacation the rest of the month), so this will pick back up again in October. Got some time to gather some ammunition though.