Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

The Top 10 or so Things Troops like to get besides cigars

This is a discussion on The Top 10 or so Things Troops like to get besides cigars within the Cigars for the Troops forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; Everybody is so generous to send us cigars and cigar accessories here on Puff, but I wanted to take a ...

The Top 10 or so Things Troops like to get besides cigars

Everybody is so generous to send us cigars and cigar accessories here on Puff, but I wanted to take a little bit of time to let you know that we do spend time working and doing other things besides smoking cigars to relax. There are tons of things that we need that are often overlooked and this thread is designed to illuminate those needs. Not to say that we dont appreciate every last bit of support that we get from you guys but here is a good bit of knowledge for you to hold and use for when you have a little bit of space left in that flat rate box!

1. Snacks - It doesn't have to be my favorite, just send me your favorite! If I can't stomach it, I'm sure I can find somebody else from Georgia, Ohio, or Nevada that hasn't had that in 4 years and will trade me something good!
    2. Personal Hygiene Stuff - Sure we can get body wash and deodorant when the PX is full. Note, when the PX is full! That and I really like it when the guy sharing an office with me doesn't smell like he tongue kissed a donkey. Toothbrushes are great!
    3. Playing cards - Often we have forced communications lapses and a deck of cards can put people together very quickly.
    4. Magazines - Even if you are holding onto the National Geographic from '99, there's a good chance I haven't read it and need something to read while I'm doing "other" business.
    5. Coffee - We get Maxwell House and a couple of european brands we can buy (when the PX has it). We like coffee and often use it instead of water. It doesn't matter what kind, but if its whole bean, please send a grinder!
    6. Beef Jerky - Salt and protein. 'Nuff said.
    7. Air Fresheners - The same guy I dont like smelling in my office, also shares a room with me at night. A little bit of Febreeze goes a long way in making the nights enjoyable.
    8. Condiments - I'll just let you know that its much better to go back to your room or work with your plate from the mess hall knowing you have a bottle of ketchup, than filling your pockets with packets!
    9. Ask a Soldier - If you have the address for somebody that you are sending stuff to... a quick note ahead of time to see what they need will actually do both of you a ton of good! You know that you're sending what they need, and they are counting on you to deliver. That is probably the single most important thing you can do!
    10. A letter - Just thank the man or woman you are sending stuff to and give them your email address. You may not get a call back from them, but most of us will take the time to shoot you an email to let you know that your package was delivered and we have shared it with our guys making your donation reach more of us.

If you're in need of a package... Please sound off. If I may have missed something, please start with the number 11.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Re: The Top 10 or so Things Troops like to get besides cigars

Great post Thom.......we have our own ideas of what we THINK they might need, nice to have guidance on what they ACTUALLY need.
    BELIEVE IN YOURSELF:Because the rest of us think you're an idiot.

No longer a community member.

Kind of a cruel world Thom I have had various people say don't send at least half the stuff you mentioned. with only so much room in a box it's a tough call and being a cigar site well when we send as much as we do we have to streamline somewhere. That list was what we started sending a couple years ago.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

Well done Thom! Very, very valuable info and great to hear it straight from a soldier!! This will be a great "reminder" thread for the next troop rally. Thanks brother!

I ain't ! I'm just a little large for my size!

Dave, your 100% right. I only know about what I needed where I was at. If you look at number 9 in the list, it covers all the bases. If you're mass mailing stuff well its going to be hit or miss. If you are specifically putting a package together for somebody, then it greatly benefits both parties to just ask what they need and try to hook them up.

Love ya!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Thom I have asked maybe at least a hundred times bro. I can do no more than my best. Maybe it's time if I can't make everyone happy to just give in and quit I put more hours and heart into this than most and I just have no more to offer. We have given freely 16,000 or more cigars and an almost equal amount $ wise in goodies, lighters, humi packs, magazines, candy, jerky not even counting almost $13,000 out of my own money and a zillion hours in emails contacting retailers, manufacturers at least several hundred letters and phone calls. That while applying for and being granted 100% disability. Never asking anything in return except for our soldiers to come home soon and safe! Seriously if someone can do better go for it.
    Last edited by smelvis; 01-15-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks a lot for this Thom. This is very helpful to me to finish filling out a box I have going out brother.

Dave your awesome for everything you do for our troops. I think you might have misconstrued this thread a bit though. I am sending a care package out to a friend of mine and I asked Thom for things that would be helpful in addition to cigars. I'm sure that I am not the only person on puff who has wanted suggestions for care packages so I asked him to start a thread. The work you do finding solders in need, shipping, getting donations, etc. in invaluable brother. Please don't see this thread as a slight on anything you do.

I always heard that the best thing you can send a soldier is exactly what he wouldn't want in a Christmas present at home: clean socks and underwear.

Thanks, Thom. Not only is this a terrific list for those who can send something to those who absolutely deserve it, it's a stark reminder that our soldiers often go without things we take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Thom I have asked maybe at least a hundred times bro. I can do no more than my best. Maybe it's time if I can't make everyone happy to just give in and quit I put more hours and heart into this than most and I just have no more to offer. We have given freely 16,000 or more cigars and an almost equal amount $ wise in goodies, lighters, humi packs, magazines, candy, jerky not even counting almost $13,000 out of my own money and a zillion hours in emails contacting retailers, manufacturers at least several hundred letters and phone calls. That while applying for and being granted 100% disability. Never asking anything in return except for our soldiers to come home soon and safe! Seriously if someone can do better go for it.
    Not sure why you are taking offense to what someone in the military wanted when he was overseas. Let's be honest here, Cigars are a luxury item for us, and certainly for them when they have limited supplies. I think you are taking Thom's post the wrong way. It isn't a "you are sending the wrong stuff" post; it is a "they would really appreciate it if you ALSO added these things" post. That's how I took it anyway. No one questions your efforts Dave, not I, and I'm pretty confident in saying Thom doesn't either.

Like I said see post 6. and I am done with this thread.

ZK Master of Shenanigans kozzman555's Avatar

I thought I might chime in here. I think the purpose of this thread was to educate people on what to send should they wish to send something to us. This is my 4th deployment and I know Thom has been on a several himself. I get asked all the time what to have sent over and I'm sure all soldiers do as well. Dave, I don't think this post was directed at all towards you. You have definitely sent a ton of things, not just cigars, to us and know what to send. Not everyone does. I just got two large flat rate boxes from you and they were amazing. Lots of smokes, torches, cutters, two humidors and loads of other goodies. I can't find fault with anything you sent. You are doing great things for us over here and trust me, we appreciate it more than you know. I wish there was something I could say that would show you what I mean. You'd just have to be over here with us, smoking a cigar over a fire pit to see how much it means. Thank you so much Dave.
    "Your Grandmother was a whore" - Ron Stacy

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish rocketmann82's Avatar

I can tell you as someone that received a "care package" from Dave/Puff last year that we couldn't have been more pleased with the gifts we received. Words cannot express how grateful I was to get those boxes and give out the goodies. As Adam said, you would just have to be around a bunch of folks that really needed the boost after a hard day that a Cigar can bring. We thanked you all on this site more times than you all may know for a taste of Jerky, a few magazines that we had not read 1000 times and a chance to sit and relax with a nice stick for an hour or so. My hats off to Dave and all the rest of you guys that put so much time/money/effort into supporting the troops. BELIEVE ME, the guys/gals in the field appreciate it, and more than anything we appreciate the fact that we are not forgotten.