Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Veterans(retired) and Newly Home Cigar Brainstorming

This is a discussion on Veterans(retired) and Newly Home Cigar Brainstorming within the Cigars for the Troops forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; ...

Veterans(retired) and Newly Home Cigar Brainstorming

Hey Guys,

I'm in the brainstorming process right now on an idea to bring care packages to groups of both retired and newly home troops. As most of us know, while war is hard, the transition from War to home life can be even harder.

If smoking cigars is a favorite deployment pastime, perhaps cigar smoking at home can help in the transition.

My initial thoughts are Yellow Ribbon Events, Stand Downs, maybe VFWs? Anything Else? Maybe Senior Living Communities?

I'm willing to head this effort up if you guys are in.

While they’re number of "benefits" of being in uniform, I have found buying a beer for a retired vet in a bar can be such a surprise, it brings a lot of joy.

Thanks All, every idea is welcome!

~Ben

ZK Master of Shenanigans kozzman555's Avatar

Re: Veterans(retired) and Newly Home Cigar Brainstorming

I would be careful about bringing cigars and lighters to a Senior community. A lot of them use oxygen bottles and that will blow up if they are around an open flame.
    "Your Grandmother was a whore" - Ron Stacy

Quote Originally Posted by kozzman555 View Post
    I would be careful about bringing cigars and lighters to a Senior community. A lot of them use oxygen bottles and that will blow up if they are around an open flame.
    Wasn't that a mythbusters episode?

I'm watching you.

What a great idea. We have many vets who come in to our local lounge and I think offering them a "welcome home" or fundraiser to buy sticks for our men and women still out of country is a marvelous idea!

No longer a community member.

HI Welcome to Puff
    I plan on doing this myself as I travel of course I always have, As we discussed to get a larger formal operation going you might want to hang around participate and let people get to know you I see you joined this month and we do have a group of guy's I think I mentioned when you pm'ed me If it was me I would run it by them. I am not by any means saying not to do it I am saying most people hang around before starting such programs, Participate in stuff already going first!

I suggest asking people to do so on their own in their own home towns, That is a way we can make a difference. I think I also mentioned how many thousands I and Ron had to contribute to get the troop stuff going out of our own pockets first so people saw we were serious enough to invest our own money before they started trusting us!!

I could go on but will let others chime in, right now I will do what I can from my hand to the vets hand and other than that my donations are going to the programs we are supporting now. I am hoping to stop by some bases in my travels and smoke with as many vets and active duty as I can. I even saved a few hundred cigars and some lighters for this. Now if Dave73 would have sent me the banner back as he said he would I could hang it from the Motor Home when I do this

Well good luck and all idea's are worth looking at and I hope after you have been around awhile to see you involved. It would be nice to see you involved with existing programs as well. Again welcome to Puff!

Dave
    Last edited by smelvis; 04-30-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Thanks for the imput guys.

Jphank, That's kind of the idea, a welcome home packet, maybe a "mission accomplished" band on a couple sticks in the sampler pack?

I'm watching you.

Started working on a band design last night.

Attachment 67077

I can't seem to get the photo to post, though. Grrr.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen88 View Post
    Thanks for the imput guys.

Jphank, That's kind of the idea, a welcome home packet, maybe a "mission accomplished" band on a couple sticks in the sampler pack?

Quote Originally Posted by jphank View Post

Attachment 67077

Jessica,

That's great! Would love to see it at some point! Maybe when it's done!

I'm watching you.

Oh hey, it finally showed up!

Not sure what else to add or change...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen88 View Post
    Jessica,

That's great! Would love to see it at some point! Maybe when it's done!

Quote Originally Posted by jphank View Post

Attachment 67077

I see it now, had to switch browsers.

It Looks great! This is a good start!

I would defenitely heed Dave's advice as best you can as well. He has reached out to thousands of troops with cigars and quite possibly understands the massive undertaking that it can turn into.

Now, from my personal experience, you're idea is a great one and one that I'm sure would be greatly appreciated. I know I enjoyed several my last time back (Thanks again Dave! Lol).

Now, what could quite possibly make this the easiest for you to do, contact the USO at any airport or base that you want to start this at, they may be able to put you in the right place at the right time to hand them out. A lot of times at BWI (maybe other international terminals as well) I'll see the USO and just a lot of people in general welcoming troops back from deployment when the large rotator's come back.
    Cars, Smoke, Homebrew, Wet Shave and a Fountain Pen. Gentlemanly pursuits.

No longer a community member.

Ben

What a great idea! As a vet myself, something like this when I came home would have left a great impression and a sense of satisfaction. Please PM me as you get closer to putting this together as I would like to donate some smokes and even a couple of bucks to help purchase the bands, and other costs. Also, if you need a hand or any input, I would gladly make time for a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by FridayGt View Post
    I would defenitely heed Dave's advice as best you can as well. He has reached out to thousands of troops with cigars and quite possibly understands the massive undertaking that it can turn into.

Now, from my personal experience, you're idea is a great one and one that I'm sure would be greatly appreciated. I know I enjoyed several my last time back (Thanks again Dave! Lol).

Now, what could quite possibly make this the easiest for you to do, contact the USO at any airport or base that you want to start this at, they may be able to put you in the right place at the right time to hand them out. A lot of times at BWI (maybe other international terminals as well) I'll see the USO and just a lot of people in general welcoming troops back from deployment when the large rotator's come back.

I like this idea, working with the USO. MA is one of the biggest deployed guard states, so guys are coming back at random times, not always in huge groups, making the welcome home gatherings less "popular."

I do think this idea is a great way to make an impact on a case by case basis for recently home troops. Thanks so much for the imput!

Quote Originally Posted by m00chness View Post
    Ben

What a great idea! As a vet myself, something like this when I came home would have left a great impression and a sense of satisfaction. Please PM me as you get closer to putting this together as I would like to donate some smokes and even a couple of bucks to help purchase the bands, and other costs. Also, if you need a hand or any input, I would gladly make time for a good cause.
    Thanks Allen and thanks for your service to our country!

I feel like this style of outreach could definitely develope legs, and make such a positive impact. I have talked with so many Vets that were never thanked for their service, and I think that is terrible. Maybe this is a way to leave a positive impression, right off the bat!