Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Help with military christmas present

This is a discussion on Help with military christmas present within the Cigars for the Troops forums, part of the Cigar Specialty Forums category; Hi there, I need some input from military types. Your input would be greatly appreaciated. My brother in laws - ...

Newbie in the ocean

Help with military christmas present

Hi there,

I need some input from military types. Your input would be greatly appreaciated.

My brother in laws - brother, is in the canadian forces and is being sent away for 6 months to a year to tear down some camps. I am unsure if he smokes cigars, however I was thinking of putting something together for him to take with him.

Is cigar smoking common place in the military ? or does it widely vary from troop to troop ? I figure if he doesnt want them, Im thinking he could use them to give to others in camp.

Also what is a good size container, as im sure your packs have limited space, size might be critical to this actually being able to take along with him.

Also boveda packs or beads ? I guess this would depend on if the military uses distilled water in their operations ??

or alternatively any other good gift ideas for someone just about to be deployed.

Re: Help with military christmas present

Just saw this.

Cigar smoking is common among deployed troops. Many who don't smoke at home will give it a try while downrange, it helps pass the time and kill some boredom. As for storage I would highly recommend a herf-a-door type portable humidor. 10 count size should be about right to fit in a pack. I always used the boveda type humidifiers.
    Send Troop Donations to : Troop Donations 128 Delaware St, Staten Island, NY 10304

Maturing Puffer Fish Phreebooter's Avatar

Re: Help with military christmas present

Sarge pretty much sums it up. I guess the only other thing to consider is what types of cigars to send, especially since you are unsure if he smokes cigars. Since you're not certain, I'd keep the budget reasonable in the mild to medium sticks - maybe limit it to 5 sticks in the 10 stick Herf and use the extra space for a cheap cutter and torch lighter (ship it without butane, he can find some out there). Many of the newcomers to cigars that I've met take to the quality infused cigars really well, like the common Acids (Kuba, Blondie, etc). If he enjoys those, that'll get him on the path to order more on his own and explore. Good Luck!