Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

can you reroast beans?

This is a discussion on can you reroast beans? within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; I did a roast a few days ago, I haven't tried it yet but it smells a little green...can I ...

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

can you reroast beans?

I did a roast a few days ago, I haven't tried it yet but it smells a little green...can I reroast these beans or am I stuck with under-roasted beans...
    There's no time to explain get in the

Re: can you reroast beans?

I've never done it.
    How far did you take them in the roast initially?
    Does not sound too far if they still smell green.
    Try it. Let us know how you make out.
    Dream big. Love limitless. Live fully. Laugh often. Drink great coffee. UB on FaceBook here.

I kept getting discrated distracted while roasting them so I thought I heard second crack but I'm not sure. I'm still new to this...this is only my third roast and my first one outside.

I aksed my finacee to smell them and she said she doens't think they smell green....maybe I'll grind some up...but I was using these to send in a bomb so I'd feel bad using them haha

Be a pioneer, give it a shot - what have you got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by cquon View Post
    Be a pioneer, give it a shot - what have you got to lose?
    just a few ounces of beans

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

My first roast was under-roasted. It is pretty obvious even upon grinding, green beans just don't grind the same. And they DEFINITELY don't taste the same. Sort of like if you tore some bark off of a tree and chopped it up and brewed it.

Re-roasting doesn't work in my experience. On the other hand, if you went past 1st crack & stopped short of 2nd, the beans are probably fine for brewing and you might even be surprised. It's common for people new to roasting to take a roast into 2nd crack, but many people who have been roasting for a while never take the roast that far.

I'd say give the beans a try.
    Roast 'em if ya got 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by NCatron View Post
    My first roast was under-roasted. It is pretty obvious even upon grinding, green beans just don't grind the same. And they DEFINITELY don't taste the same. Sort of like if you tore some bark off of a tree and chopped it up and brewed it.
    yeah my first roast was still green tasting. didn't taste bad but it was definitely off

Quote Originally Posted by [OT] Loki View Post
    I did a roast a few days ago, I haven't tried it yet but it smells a little green...can I reroast these beans or am I stuck with under-roasted beans...
    If you want just shy of 2nd crack, then grind and brew. See whether it's good or garbage. Usually when guys first start out they'll under-roast and then over-roast. All part of the learing curve. When you nail it, you'll know.

IHT

i may have to try this one as well...
    "To be second guessed, you have to be the first guesser."

Moo-ism translator, Esq

Sorry I didnt see this earlier Kevin. I've done it and it works fine. Maybe not exactly the same taste as if you would have got it right in the first place, but pretty close. The few times I have done it were wthing 3-4 days of the original roast
    Reserved for future use....

You can. We don't. Nor do we recommend.
    Dream big. Love limitless. Live fully. Laugh often. Drink great coffee. UB on FaceBook here.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by EvanS View Post
    Sorry I didnt see this earlier Kevin. I've done it and it works fine. Maybe not exactly the same taste as if you would have got it right in the first place, but pretty close. The few times I have done it were wthing 3-4 days of the original roast
    I have done it myself but have always re-roasted immediately. I now truly know what baked coffee tastes like, it is still better than most coffee you buy.
    "They must find it difficult... Those who have taken authority as the truth rather than truth as the authority."
    Gerald Massey

Hrmmm.....kinda like twice baked potatoes....

Keep us informed Kev.
    Proud supporter of Reel Recovery.
    www.reelrecovery.org

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Thumbs down Re: can you reroast beans?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak_Rat View Post
    Hrmmm.....kinda like twice baked potatoes....
    I reroasted a pound of coffee once; the power cut off and, by the time things fired back up, the beans in process had cooled down.

Conclusion: twice-baked potatoes have more merit than twice-roasted coffee beans. They ended up tasting flat.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"