Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

This is a discussion on Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap! within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo All roasters promised were tested with a 1/2 cup of beans, packed with the test ...

Dave's not here, man! hollywood's Avatar

Re: Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo
    All roasters promised were tested with a 1/2 cup of beans, packed with the test roast and 1/2 pound + of green sumatra and will be shipped Monday. Sorry for delays but family and travel slowed up the plan.

There are two or three left.

Those who get 'em - have fun.
    Very generous showing!! I cannot wait to try roasting the first time! Hope i don't burn anything down!!

Well, I use an i-Roast but can certainly support the notion that home roasting is the only way to go. Today I roasted up some Sulawesi Toraja and Java Govt. Estate. Both can't be equaled at a place like Charbucks or a competitor. Fresh roasted then ground right before brewing and NO robusta filler.

Hmmmmm, great!
    When I walk through the house, I always have someone proceed me with a boom-box playing Darth Vader theme music to lend a weighty and ominous air to my approach.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

OK lads - I'm shutting her down. Ghost, Sville, Andy, Kmaust & Hollywood - have at it.

Public disclaimer: y'all are on your own. Never leave operating or hot popper unattended - wear gloves or have some hot pads handy.

Note: A power strip with on/off switch is a nice alternative to frantically grabbing/pulling popper's plug when a roast is complete.

If your follow up reports are good (and you manage not to burn your hands or set the house afire) I may come back with a few more later on.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

He who types in the dark Andyman's Avatar

Okay, quick question.. it seems green coffee beans are twice as heavy as roasted beans.. so if you spend $5 a pound for green and $10 a pound for roasted, are you really saving anymoney by getting green?

?? inquiring minds want to know. ??

Well, just as promised; this hell of a gorilla Mr.Maduroo, sends out this extremely generous offering to a coffee newb. Lands today with the mailman lugging this package across the hill in front of my house; slipping and sliding and nearly busting his rump more than once. As he get to the door, he just smiles and said, "I see your friends remember where you live again!?" and laughs as he stumbles away. Man was he right!! Here's what the man senteth and the other man bringeth.

If it wasn't 9* outside, I'd be roasting right now!! Or at least attempting it without burning myself or the carport down. He he! At least Dan was kind enough to include basic instructions and advice on how NOT to kill myself or others near by.

Thanks again Dan! Will post more pics when I can fire it up for the first time!!

He who types in the dark Andyman's Avatar

I would post pictures too but that would just be redundant.. Mine looks Identicle, but appearantly mine is hotter though..

Thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman
    I would post pictures too but that would just be redundant.. Mine looks Identicle, but appearantly mine is hotter though..

Thanks, Dan
    woo hoo - more homeroasters. Green beans lose weight and swell up in size; they lose about 10-15% of their weight during roasting (moisture cooking off).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo
    Since I built a BBQ drum roaster and StirVection roaster I'm left with a garage full of poppers, all of which roast small batches just fine.

I'll pack a few cups of beans and a pre-tested popper for cost/freight if anyone wants at them. They're just sitting... If interested, write PM.
    Closed out gents. The last popper ...

...has been wiped clean, road tested, packed and shipped. To those of you who have dared to join the unofficial fraternity of home roasters I wish you good coffee and as much fun as I've had with it over the years. Now I'm gonna light up an Oliva Grand Maduro and fergettabowdit.

Puffer Fish with some spikes hogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plexiprs
    Well, I use an i-Roast but can certainly support the notion that home roasting is the only way to go. Today I roasted up some Sulawesi Toraja and Java Govt. Estate. Both can't be equaled at a place like Charbucks or a competitor. Fresh roasted then ground right before brewing and NO robusta filler.

Hmmmmm, great!

I have been digging that Sulawesi Toraja. I get mine from coffeebeancorral, and it seems to be the best stuff this year.
    "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. " - Oscar Wilde

par
    Puffer Fish with many spikes par's Avatar

I've been told that a nice mix of robusta (about 20% or so) adds a nice depth specifically to espresso. I intend to try this as i've now progressed to tast different blends from my original single origin brews.

In either case, my homeroast is blowing most of the commercial stuff and it's about half price.
    I wanted to say something really witty here but nothing came to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by par
    I've been told that a nice mix of robusta (about 20% or so) adds a nice depth specifically to espresso. I intend to try this as i've now progressed to tast different blends from my original single origin brews.

In either case, my homeroast is blowing most of the commercial stuff and it's about half price.
    Robusta will add a bite and boost crema (and caffeine) - I'd keep it under 10% or 15% in espresso tho. Personally I rarely add it to espresso blends and think it brings little to the party. If I add as little as 5% to espo-blends my wife (who does not smoke cigars and must have more working taste buds than I do) will always say, "This is OK but a little bitter." I like the bite in some blends - she never does. Want some Uganda green robusta? I have some sitting around gathering dust - PM addy if so. Roast on...

I got a kg of 100% robusta drinking coffee from Romania last year. For $3.50/lb it drank quite well, I thought.
    Last edited by Mister Moo; 02-22-2006 at 07:21 PM. Reason: revise

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman
    Okay, quick question.. it seems green coffee beans are twice as heavy as roasted beans.. so if you spend $5 a pound for green and $10 a pound for roasted, are you really saving anymoney by getting green?

?? inquiring minds want to know. ??
    It's not 2x the weight, green is more like 1.25x the weight. For example if you roast 5oz of green you end up with about 4oz of roast. So a pound of green yields about 12-12.5 oz after roasting.

The reason roasted coffee cost twice the $, is that you are paying for someones time and roasting equipment. In short, roasting your own is cost effective.
    Roast 'em if ya got 'em!

Maturing Puffer Fish kmaustin21's Avatar

WHOOHOO!
    Got mine today. Gonna have to use it this weekend.
    o

BZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ........

incoming!!! 03050830000050027595

Quote Originally Posted by whodat1
    It's not 2x the weight, green is more like 1.25x the weight. For example if you roast 5oz of green you end up with about 4oz of roast. So a pound of green yields about 12-12.5 oz after roasting.

The reason roasted coffee cost twice the $, is that you are paying for someones time and roasting equipment. In short, roasting your own is cost effective.
    I agree with most people that buying green beans and home roasting is less expensive than buying pre-roasted beans. However, after you factor in shipping, I don't think the savings is really that substantial. So far I'm finding that its almost the same cost.

That biggest difference is that I have complete control over the process. From degree and quantity of roasting, milling, and quality of beans. Those things alone are worth it to me.

I suppose the people who save the most are those who bought premium roasted coffee in the range of $10 per pound.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast