Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

This is a discussion on Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap! within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Sorry dude, but the savings is quite substantial, you just have to know where to buy.....First of all, unless a ...

Re: Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

Sorry dude, but the savings is quite substantial, you just have to know where to buy.....First of all, unless a person is buying from a coffee roaster or a shop that roasts themselves, you don't GET a pound of coffee in a bag.....Don'ts believe me? check out the weight of a bag of coffee next time you are in a store......the net weight on the bag is......drum roll please.......12-12.5 ounces......hmmmmmmm......could this possibly be because they START with one lb of green, which is about 12oz roasted....hmmmmm.....secondly, If you buy green in small quantities, yeah, the shipping adds up.....but buying in larger quantities the shipping cost starts to even out over a larger package. In addition, there are at least a couple of "coffee buying coops" for homeroasters where you can buy green "QUALITY green" for around $2.00 lb plus shipping, so long as you buy in 5lb increments......example, just bought 15lbs of MAO harrar horse for 2 a lb, this years crop.....compared to 5 a lb at sweet marias.....quite a deal, yes? You must DEal, Jeff, deal......
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    I agree with most people that buying green beans and home roasting is less expensive than buying pre-roasted beans. However, after you factor in shipping, I don't think the savings is really that substantial. So far I'm finding that its almost the same cost.

That biggest difference is that I have complete control over the process. From degree and quantity of roasting, milling, and quality of beans. Those things alone are worth it to me.

I suppose the people who save the most are those who bought premium roasted coffee in the range of $10 per pound.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa
    ...there are at least a couple of "coffee buying coops" for homeroasters where you can buy green "QUALITY green" for around $2.00 lb plus shipping, so long as you buy in 5lb increments......example, just bought 15lbs of MAO harrar horse for 2 a lb, this years crop.....compared to 5 a lb at sweet marias.....quite a deal, yes?
    $2.00 - I'm all about that! Which co-ops, pls? Web site, pls?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Check out greencoffee.coop, and greencoffeebuyingclub.com....
    Let me know how you make out, Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo
    $2.00 - I'm all about that! Which co-ops, pls? Web site, pls?

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa
    Check out greencoffee.coop, and greencoffeebuyingclub.com....
    Let me know how you make out, Vic
    Short take - you're right. Coops are inexpensive. Long take:

(I ordered a few pounds of this 'n that to see what happens.) Have used coops in the past without bad experience - except they used to come and go and you could never count on who would have what and when. I think coop bennies are obvious to experienced buyers; price counts, but not as first objective for everybody, every time. My spin:

If wanting a supplier based on ease of shopping, broadest selection, dedicated consistent advice and guaranteed quality then I'd swing with Sweet Marias (or a few others near their league). Easiest, but not cheapest, way to shop for an inexperienced roaster.

If wanting cheapest possible beans without a broad selection, foster relationships with local area roasters who can be kind, supportive and freight free cash 'n carry, low-priced, outta the sack on the floor in the back cheap. An interesting way to shop for a more experienced roaster wanting, say, 10-20 lb. per bean type so as not to piss the guy off by asking for 8oz of this and 8oz of that and (jeez) 8oz of the other for $1.90 lb.

For a flexible, imaginative, well-informed, and sometimes craps-shooting shopper, coops can be a fun, low-priced route to come-what-may.

What do you roast with, btw?

What do you roast with, btw?
    right now have a Rosto and an Iroast 2......am thinking about the new genecafe when it is available, it will double the roast size of iroast, and if you aren't familiar with it offers additional improvements (on the fly temp adjustment, etc). we'll see. Have thought about a sc/to setup, or a RK drum, but my needs are such that I don't need to roast multiple lbs at a time

I agree somewhat, I think Tom owens at sweet maria's does a great job, is very knowledgable/helpful and provides a great product/service. I live on the east coast, he's on the west, so it basically takes a week to get my stash.....a long time to jones. But having said that, just ordered some more harrar from him, along with some other various beans......I really need to cut down my coffee stash right now is ...........about 120 lbs. 120 LBS OF COFFEE IS IN MY HOUSE!!!!! somebody stop me.

As to local roasters, there is one right down the road from where i work, that is how i got into roasting in the first place. I was walking to work and there was the sweet, pungent smell in the air.....little did i know at the time it was the smell of the gold being roasted. the owner had a chat with me, sold me some green and that's where the downward spiral began. The problem is that the selection with him is VERY limited

If wanting a supplier based on ease of shopping, broadest selection, dedicated consistent advice and guaranteed quality then I'd swing with Sweet Marias (or a few others near their league). Easiest, but not cheapest, way to shop for an inexperienced roaster.

If wanting cheapest possible beans without a broad selection, foster relationships with local area roasters who can be kind, supportive and freight free cash 'n carry, low-priced, outta the sack on the floor in the back cheap. An interesting way to shop for a more experienced roaster wanting, say, 10-20 lb. per bean type so as not to piss the guy off by asking for 8oz of this and 8oz of that and (jeez) 8oz of the other for $1.90 lb.

I used popper + convection oven and the smoke was awful. My neighbor across the hall from my unit called in our building security guards; so I decided to stop.

It doesn't need to cost a bundle to roast your own coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    I used popper + convection oven and the smoke was awful. My neighbor across the hall from my unit called in our building security guards; so I decided to stop.

It doesn't need to cost a bundle to roast your own coffee.
    I know people that roast indoors, but almost all of them have ventilation hoods that vent to the outside. I'm convinced that roasting is an outdoor activity. Aside from the smoke, you usually get chaff everywhere.
    Roast 'em if ya got 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by stone
    I used popper + convection oven and the smoke was awful.
    What Whodat said. Bewareful. It's an outdoor sport - even roasting a 1/4-cup - unless you live in a warehouse, have some major exhaust fan or want yellow ceilings.

No longer a community member. PuroBrat's Avatar

OK, as soon as I get me some green beans, I am gonna head to the garage (detached) and fire up my "Brand New" late 80s Vintage PrestoŠ PopLITEŽ and see what happens.

As my inspiration and my Mentor, DAN (didn't know you had such a lofty appointment, did ya bro?), you should know I am accident prone, and a direct descendant of the Murphy's (as in Murphy's Law, I know you know what I mean) so if I am not heard from again, you will know why.

Gonna maybe change my name to JavaPyro Buwahahaha o

Name:  joey2006_small_300dpi.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  31.1 KB

I want out of anything to do with any "pyro" nickname.

No longer a community member. PuroBrat's Avatar

I want out of anything to do with any "pyro" nickname.
    It was just a joke....Sortof

Thanks for the info dude. I am looking forward to the learning experience, no matter what. I promise to keep the Fire Extinguisher handy

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RumblePen's Avatar

I've got an exhaust fan over my stove, will I be able to roast with a popper without messing up my kitchen? What's this chaff stuff? Does it blow all over the place or can I reasonably control it? Like by placing the popper on large cookie sheet to collect the spilloff.
    "I need a bigger cigar than Zanuck!" Samuel Fuller.

Quote Originally Posted by RumblePen
    I've got an exhaust fan over my stove, will I be able to roast with a popper without messing up my kitchen? What's this chaff stuff? Does it blow all over the place or can I reasonably control it? Like by placing the popper on large cookie sheet to collect the spilloff.
    If it's a really powerful fan that vents outdoors then... I'm just kidding. No.

Some people roast coffee indoors. I did, right under a whopper of an exhaust fan in the window. It still smelled up the house. Chaff is about as heavy as dust - it flies around. Easy to vacuum up, but it flies around. Smoke alarms.. yellow stain on the ceiling...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RumblePen's Avatar

Is this going to happen with an i-roast?
    "I need a bigger cigar than Zanuck!" Samuel Fuller.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast