Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

This is a discussion on Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap! within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Originally Posted by RumblePen Is this going to happen with an i-roast? Yes! My first roast was with an iRoast ...

Re: Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by RumblePen
    Is this going to happen with an i-roast?
    Yes! My first roast was with an iRoast in the Kitchen...I was immediately banished to the outdoors by my wife and was still hearing about the smell 3 days later.
    Roast 'em if ya got 'em!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RumblePen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whodat1
    Yes! My first roast was with an iRoast in the Kitchen...I was immediately banished to the outdoors by my wife and was still hearing about the smell 3 days later.
    Will a stove fan take care of this?
    "I need a bigger cigar than Zanuck!" Samuel Fuller.

Mine dosn't. I have the FreshRoast Plus 8 and I've tried placing the unit right underneath the hood to no avail. It still manages to set off the smoke alarm and fill the apartment with the smell.

Personally, I like the smell of roasting coffee but my wife thinks its too strong.

No longer a community member. PuroBrat's Avatar

Mr Coffee, AKA Mr Maduro said NO earlier. He stated that unless you have industrial vents or like yellow ceilings, it is an Outside Activity, or something like that.

Indoor Roasting

[SIZE="3"]I have had good luck using a FreshRoast8 indoors. I use it either near my kitchen window or under the stove hood. I set off the smoke alarm once when I was experimenting with Italian Roast (say "charcoal"). I have high ceilings, so yellowing is not likely. I do get some fine dust-like chaf that shows up on a black glass stove, but easily cleaned ( I clean the chaf collector outside....canned air works great).....and I happen to like the smell of roasted coffee in the kitchen.

OH, and I have NO wife !! HA![/SIZE]

Puffer Fish with many spikes mels95yj's Avatar

I also roast using the FR8, and I've never had enough smoke to set off the smoke alarm. When I first got it, I roasted under the stove hood, but now I just roast on the kitchen counter. I usually stop just before second crack, and get minimal smoke. I just knock the chaff collector over the trash can and blow the remaining chaff out into the trash can.

Mel

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

When I post "No more poppers." someone sends me a PM asking for a popper plus beans.

The bad news is I really have no more - honest.
    The good news is, I actually found one more after the last PM so there is about to be another homeroaster looney-toon in the field.

I have no more. None, nada, zip, zilch, zero. Rien. Ich hab' nicht das Kornpoppenmaschienen zu verkauf. Out of stock forever. You'all are on yer own to find 'em now. I'm retired.

I suggest regular stops at St. Vincent de Paul, Goodwill, Salvation Army stores, etc. and sooner or later you're gonna see a big fat West Bend Poppery on the shelf for a buck. Good luck!
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo
    I suggest regular stops at St. Vincent de Paul
    St. Vincent de Paul was the church literally right across the street from me when I was growing up. I stole all of their popcorn poppers, sorry

Jeepers... roasters for anyone. Incredible.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/homemade-homeroasters.html

Sneaky Bombin Bastage catfishm2's Avatar

Jeepers... roasters for anyone. Incredible.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/homemade-homeroasters.html
    Great link, thanks!
    "The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of their blood."..... Logan Pearsall Smith

Quote Originally Posted by catfishm2
    Great link, thanks!
    You're welcome. It's comforting to know there are many people more deranged than I. You want a pound of yirg?

When I post "No more poppers." someone sends me a PM asking for a popper plus beans.

The bad news is I really have no more - honest.
    The good news is, I actually found one more after the last PM so there is about to be another homeroaster looney-toon in the field.

I have no more. None, nada, zip, zilch, zero. Rien. Ich hab' nicht das Kornpoppenmaschienen zu verkauf. Out of stock forever. You'all are on yer own to find 'em now. I'm retired.

I suggest regular stops at St. Vincent de Paul, Goodwill, Salvation Army stores, etc. and sooner or later you're gonna see a big fat West Bend Poppery on the shelf for a buck. Good luck!
    I need to say thanks again for the popper you sent out! I never really knew what I was missing out on.

I placed my first order for beans last week, can't wait for them to get here. Also ordered an Ibrik, looking forward to trying that out. I had the best coffee when I was over in the middle east, trying to see if I can come close.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I need to say thanks again for the popper you sent out! I never really knew what I was missing out on.

I placed my first order for beans last week, can't wait for them to get here. Also ordered an Ibrik, looking forward to trying that out. I had the best coffee when I was over in the middle east, trying to see if I can come close.
    Great, Ghost. Did you have any luck with the green beans sent along with? They weren't the finest Sumatra ever harvested but, properly roasted, should have outshined anything from a grocery store.

Sneaky Bombin Bastage catfishm2's Avatar

You're welcome. It's comforting to know there are many people more deranged than I. You want a pound of yirg?
    Oh yeah! Just tell me how much to send.
    "The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older people, and greatly assists in the circulation of their blood."..... Logan Pearsall Smith

Quote Originally Posted by catfishm2
    Oh yeah! Just tell me how much to send.
    Send? Nothing much. I'll think of something. (It's really special - championship yirg-pass stuff from a secret mountain in Ethiopia.)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast