Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

This is a discussion on Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap! within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo Great, Ghost. Did you have any luck with the green beans sent along with? They ...

Re: Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo
    Great, Ghost. Did you have any luck with the green beans sent along with? They weren't the finest Sumatra ever harvested but, properly roasted, should have outshined anything from a grocery store.
    I"ve tried a couple batches with those beans, ruined the first, but I had fun smelling up the house with it. Wife didn't agree however...

The last couple batches turned out pretty good. Still learning the different levels of the roast, but I kept them going right up til the second crack. You're right on the money, better than anything else I've had from the store. Looking forward to the next few batches, and trying out some different beans.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I"ve tried a couple batches with those beans, ruined the first, but I had fun smelling up the house with it. Wife didn't agree however...

The last couple batches turned out pretty good. Still learning the different levels of the roast, but I kept them going right up til the second crack. You're right on the money, better than anything else I've had from the store. Looking forward to the next few batches, and trying out some different beans.
    Yee haw. Sweet. Another victim. Where's Rugger? He got the last one (until I clean out the garage one more time).
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Dan,

Got your package in the mail this afternoon! Awesome, thanks again. I took what I learned on this site and with my kids in tow, made my first batch. Here is what I saw (hopefully it's right)!

3 minutes in beans began making popping noise, almost like popcorn

3.5 minutes chaf blowing everywhere

4 minutes beans turning darker brown and here comes the smoke

5 minutes beans really smoking, not hearing a second pop/crack - Tim panics and pulls the plug

6 minutes shaking the beans in a stainless steal strainer - they look real good, nice and oily but not sure if they went long enough

Any feedback on what I did would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Dan

Rugger

I'd say you may have had either too many beans or started with a warm popper; I think it went quick and hot. Oily is for sure past 2nd crack which, by the way, is much quieter than the 1st.

With Poplite and glass chimney one must have quick hands, good non-skid hotpads and two metal strainers close by. Don't do a second roast until popper is all the way cooled down.

When smoke appears sometime after 1st crack be ready to quit/cool fast. Dump beans and flip them back/forth between strainers. It's a show. Your kids can watch but shouldn't tell many people about it.

What you have already may drink fine; dark, but fine. Or maybe you can sell it to Starbux.

I use the WB Poppery, not the II. Is the II actually better for this? I picked them up at the good will store for .25 each, both still in original box unused. I have seen the Popcorn Pumper as well, better or not? I love roasting outside as I smoke a cigar while doing this. I alternate between the 2 poopers I bought, by the time the second roast is done the other popper is cooled off. I have been roasting Cuban Serrano and Cuban peaberry. Both turn out wonderful! I usually take the roast up the beginning of the second crack as I find leaving until after the second crack it becomes very bitter and overpowering, lots of chaffe though.

MadMac
    I am CANADIAN!!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac
    I use the WB Poppery, not the II. Is the II actually better for this? I picked them up at the good will store for .25 each, both still in original box unused. I have seen the Popcorn Pumper as well, better or not?
    Welcome, Madmac. Where you been all these years? I used the 2-popper strategy as well until I made a BBQ and later SCCO roaster; two was the most I could juggle!

WB(I) with power on/off switch on front panel is by far the heavyweight cat-daddy holy grail of all poppers; WBII and Pumpers are good roasters, but not 6-8 oz. tank-like.

I will roast plenty today - it may be a two cigar operation. Love a cigar while roasting. But first, a bike ride to the local for coffee, cigar and a baked good (Krispy Kreme). Good day!

We don't see Cuban beans here very often; care to explain how they roast/taste compared to other central americans or puerto rican yauco, for example?

Mister MaDuroo,

You got a live one headed your way!

DC# 0305 2710 0000 3637 4430 - Hope you like them!

Tim (Rugger)

Dan,

You got a live one headed your way!

DC# 0305 2710 0000 3637 4430 - Hope you like them!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by rugger
    Dan,

Got your package in the mail this afternoon! Awesome, thanks again. I took what I learned on this site and with my kids in tow, made my first batch. Here is what I saw (hopefully it's right)!

3 minutes in beans began making popping noise, almost like popcorn

3.5 minutes chaf blowing everywhere

4 minutes beans turning darker brown and here comes the smoke

5 minutes beans really smoking, not hearing a second pop/crack - Tim panics and pulls the plug

6 minutes shaking the beans in a stainless steal strainer - they look real good, nice and oily but not sure if they went long enough

Any feedback on what I did would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Dan

Rugger
    Rug - we conclude the popper is running too hot for TX (my bad); another more suitable machine has been sent. It's for sure my next-to-last one.

Sorry you had to make oily beans. Gross.

Pretentious.Bastge.Online Tristan's Avatar

Just bought a West Bend Poppery II used off e-bay. I'm really looking forward to getting it this week. I will probably order a sampler pack from Sweet Marias!

I'll post my home roasting progress and results promptly after the first batch!

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

I'd love to try roasting coffee. I'll have to read the thread and see what I need
    There's no time to explain get in the

Alright! I haven't gotten the west bend yet, but I discovered my fiance's parents have a popper and I borrowed it. Right before I roasted I noticed this was the incorrect type. I read the warning, I decided to go on roasting regardless.

Beans: Brazil Carmo de Minas - Aprocam

I did take precautions, I had the chaff going into a metal collander so if the chaff was ignited; it's not going to cause any fires! Also, did this outside on the deck.

After about 4 minutes it looked like I had a pretty good roast. I was aiming for full city +. Looks like I may have gotten almost a dark roast.

Here are the results!

Congrats and Woot! Nice roasting! PopLites all (several models) run very hot and will overroast a bunch of beans in a heartbeat; they are perfect, however, for use in cooler or cold outdoor temps (say, 25-50f) when a WB Poppery won't stay hot enough to roast beans. If you're in WI and will roast on the porch, patio or garage a Poplite is worth saving for October-March (IMO) when the WB won't cut it. (BTW, I think that thing about screens and chaff fires is horse hockey - far as I can tell, it has never happened and there's no reason why it should. I used several screen-type poppers for years and decided that old post (on SM's?) was nonsense.)

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish scrapiron's Avatar

This looks fun and cool. I'm gonna (southern word) have to find my popper and order a sampler!
    Ride Boldly Ride, The Shade Replied!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast