Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

This is a discussion on Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap! within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; I have a question about green beans/ roasting to get a full pound of roasted beans, I would need to ...

in the middle of nowhere backwoods's Avatar

Re: Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

I have a question about green beans/ roasting

to get a full pound of roasted beans, I would need to start with 20oz of green?

If I start with a pound of green I will end up with 12oz of roasted( the normal pre-packaged amount for commercial roasters)

If I start with 12oz greens I will end up with ~10oz roasted.

the reason I ask is I see beans(roasted and green) sold in varying amounts and wonder why doesn't everyone sell it in the same quantities

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by backwoods View Post
    I have a question about green beans/ roasting

to get a full pound of roasted beans, I would need to start with 20oz of green?

If I start with a pound of green I will end up with 12oz of roasted( the normal pre-packaged amount for commercial roasters)

If I start with 12oz greens I will end up with ~10oz roasted.

the reason I ask is I see beans(roasted and green) sold in varying amounts and wonder why doesn't everyone sell it in the same quantities
    My roasts usually end up about 12-15% lighter than when green. The loss is mostly moisture, they say.

Back when I was a boy and Ben Franklin was still president, prep-packaged coffee always came in 16-oz bags. During the the '70s and the Nixonomics stag-flation wage & price freeze period, coffee suddenly started appearing in 12-ounce bags. I was just out of the army in 1974 and remember being amazed at how packaging had changed to, in many cases, evade the price freeze instituted the same year I entered the army in 1971.

If I'm wrong on anything here please correct me and win a handful of fat cigars from Mister Moo. If you're wrong, you owe me same.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    My roasts usually end up about 12-15% lighter than when green. The loss is mostly moisture, they say.

Back when I was a boy and Ben Franklin was still president, prep-packaged coffee always came in 16-oz bags. During the the '70s and the Nixonomics stag-flation wage & price freeze period, coffee suddenly started appearing in 12-ounce bags. I was just out of the army in 1974 and remember being amazed at how packaging had changed to, in many cases, evade the price freeze instituted the same year I entered the army in 1971.

If I'm wrong on anything here please correct me and win a handful of fat cigars from Mister Moo. If you're wrong, you owe me same.
    Per usual you are spot on, but you need no mortal to tell you that.
    Let's not forget about Treasury Secretary David Kennedy, give that man a cigar.

Bread goes in there and toast comes out over there.

"aspera! per aspera! per ardua! ad astra!"

Depending on when you were a boy, well never mind. Franklin was never president, ipso facto, ergo sum.

Quote Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
    Per usual you are spot on, but you need no mortal to tell you that.
    Let's not forget about Treasury Secretary David Kennedy, give that man a cigar.

Bread goes in there and toast comes out over there.
    That's what goes on in Dan-o's head when he's calculating mill-bar/puck tamp/water temp/time Fick's law parameters isn't it. Nice photo shop to make it look like it was about economics!
    Still hefing after all these years......

Quote Originally Posted by galaga View Post
    Depending on when you were a boy, well never mind. Franklin was never president, ipso facto, ergo sum.
    Yummy. Fat cigars. My favorite, just ahead of crunchy cornbread and steel cut oats. Do you have my address?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo
    Is "ipso facto, ergo sum" French for "will send fat cigars"?

President of Pennsylvania

Special balloting conducted 18 November 1785 unanimously elected Franklin the sixth President of the Supreme Executive Council of Pennsylvania, replacing John Dickinson.

And...

In 1790, Quakers from New York and Pennsylvania presented their petition for abolition. Their argument against slavery was backed by the Pennsylvania Abolitionist Society and its president, Benjamin Franklin.

And...

He ... was elected the first president of the American Philosophical Society.

And (of course)...

In 1743, he set forth a scheme for The Academy and College of Philadelphia. He was appointed president of the academy ... and it opened on August 13, 1751.

Yummy. Fat cigars. My favorite, just ahead of crunchy cornbread and steel cut oats. Do you have my address?

Is "ipso facto, ergo sum" French for "will send fat cigars"?

President of Pennsylvania

And...

In 1790, Quakers from New York and Pennsylvania presented their petition for abolition. Their argument against slavery was backed by the Pennsylvania Abolitionist Society and its president, Benjamin Franklin.

And...

He ... was elected the first president of the American Philosophical Society.

And (of course)...

In 1743, he set forth a scheme for The Academy and College of Philadelphia. He was appointed president of the academy ... and it opened on August 13, 1751.
    But of course -- now Back when I was a boy and Ben Franklin was still president, can I see a copy of your birth certificate?

Oh, well, why split nose/ear hairs. Send me your addy and I'll send you some smokes.
    Last edited by galaga; 01-10-2008 at 04:59 PM.

But of course -- now Back when I was a boy and Ben Franklin was still president, can I see a copy of your birth certificate?

Oh, well, why split nose/ear hairs. Send me your addy and I'll send you some smokes.
    Nope. It's all sour grapes now - - hairsplitting, as you said. I'd never feel good about those cigars. You might load them. You might touch them with your right hand. Nope. Never.

Nope. It's all sour grapes now - - hairsplitting, as you said. I'd never feel good about those cigars. You might load them. You might touch them with your right hand. Nope. Never.
    Nope, no sour grapes at all. And what's a matter wit my hand?

. And what's a matter wit my hand?

were u with aunt bea also?

Nope, no sour grapes at all. And what's a matter wit my hand?
    Send 'em to Backwoods.

were u with aunt bea also?
    No, it was Dave's cabana girl. My hands were only this <----------------------------------------------------------------> far apart

Send 'em to Backwoods.
    i have no need for sour grapes, but I could use some false crema

No, it was Dave's cabana girl. My hands were only this <----------------------------------------------------------------> far apart

I could use some false crema
    Hmmmm. Try Dave's cabana girl. Or Germ'Rob.

Ohhh Jeez.. I love me some coffee.. Its my drug of choice.. Looks like I've found another slope to fly down!
    Scott

For cigar reviews, news and more: http://www.cigarchoice.net

Puffer Fish with many spikes DennisP's Avatar

Well, you guys have me going down the slope. I am bidding on West Bend Poppery II on ebay and am also going to check Goodwill just in case as a 2nd wouldn't be bad and maybe they'll have the original.

Now I need to get some beads, I was first thinking the sampler from Sweet Marias, but now am thinking I'll just choose some, so any reccomendations would be great. I generally enjoy pretty bold coffees.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast