Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

This is a discussion on Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap! within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Originally Posted by DennisP Well, you guys have me going down the slope. I am bidding on West Bend Poppery ...

Re: Roasting coffee 101 - It's Cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by DennisP View Post
    Well, you guys have me going down the slope. I am bidding on West Bend Poppery II on ebay and am also going to check Goodwill just in case as a 2nd wouldn't be bad and maybe they'll have the original.

Now I need to get some beads, I was first thinking the sampler from Sweet Marias, but now am thinking I'll just choose some, so any reccomendations would be great. I generally enjoy pretty bold coffees.
    obvious cigar smoker here, , i just might have to get a popper and try this home roasting thing. sounds interesting

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBonger View Post
    sounds interesting
    Yeah. I heard it's pretty interesting. If you like coffee. Well, if you like coffee and you ever had one really good cup of coffee and want to have it, just like that (or better), every day of the week. Otherwise, it's just another thing to do to make great coffee that you might not enjoy that much. Either way - it's cheap thrills for a Shotrod Tinkerfinger kind of gearhead person.

Honest - the worst coffee I ever mis-roasted was better than 90% of what anyone else ever sold me.
    Last edited by Mister Moo; 07-09-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

www.stogietorch.com replicant_argent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    Yeah. I heard it's pretty interesting. If you like coffee. Well, if like coffee and you ever had one really good cup of coffee and want to have it, just like that (or better), every day of the week. Otherwise, it's just another thing to do to make great coffee that you might not enjoy that much. Either way - it's cheap thrills for a Shotrod Tinkerfinger kind of gearhead person.

Honest - the worst coffee I ever mis-roasted was better than 90% of what anyone else ever sold me.
    yep, what that dude said.
    Even a quickie popper batch drunk immediately out of the french press in the morning beats 89.4% of coffees out there, and that is without rest... That extra .6% of rest is what makes the difference!
    Ever Torches and Z-Torches available at www.stogietorch.com

This CS thing is bad on the wallet and free time, first it was cigars, right now pipes, and in the near future it is looking like coffee. Sure am glad I found this place.

I might have to look into this sometime. I do like coffee, but I've only ever really had good coffee but once (at a cafe in Spain). I've always been the canned coffee and drip machine guy. But...if I get into good coffee...then I'll only like good coffee...and I'll buy these fancy get-ups and order green beans and spend my time roasting over a hot corn popper...then what time and money will I have left to smoke? I hate all of you...

Quote Originally Posted by pistol View Post
    However, if it smells like a stripper, then it's definitely an Acid!

He who types in the dark Andyman's Avatar

As a brother of the leaf I cannot let you go on drinking coffee from a can. First step is to get a grinder and order some whole bean coffee online. Yes you will never go back.

Next, find a french press. Makes a drip machine seem like a bad idea.

Green coffee is a whole different obsession. one step at a time grasshopper.
    [SIZE="3"]Lifes short, HERF often..[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman View Post
    As a brother of the leaf I cannot let you go on drinking coffee from a can. First step is to get a grinder and order some whole bean coffee online. Yes you will never go back.

Yes!
    You are a beacon to us all.

It seems I must embark on this new journey...

A French press it is...are there any whole bean brands that are any good I can just find in the store to start off?

What's the most affordable grinder that does a good job do you think?

More hobbies

There is'nt much to a french press.. Bodum make a nice one and are easy to find. I have one thats around 32oz and it's a good size.

Grinders. There is a huge range of grinders. I have a cheapo whirly blade grider. $20 I have figured out how to make it work pretty well. If you want to step it up and get a more even grind Burr grinders are better $50-$300 and up.

I use my french press on the weekends and at my desk at work.. Still use my drip machine most mornings. French press requires a courser gind

When in doubt search the coffee forum. Lots of good info out there. One note of caution though, Mr.Moo can get a little nuts!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hips View Post
    It seems I must embark on this new journey...

A French press it is...are there any whole bean brands that are any good I can just find in the store to start off?

What's the most affordable grinder that does a good job do you think?

More hobbies

...Mr.Moo can get a little nuts!!
    Whereupon your practically perfect post crashed into the mountainside in a great yellow-orange ball of flame. But WTH... I'm sipping on a big cup of darjeeling tea right now and am nobody to judge an honest coffee man.

Keep up the good work, laddie. I need to go roast some Afghanistan beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    Whereupon your practically perfect post crashed into the mountainside in a great yellow-orange ball of flame. But WTH... I'm sipping on a big cup of darjeeling tea right now and am nobody to judge an honest coffee man.

Keep up the good work, laddie. I need to go roast some Afghanistan beans.
    Just warning the boy you can get a little passionate about your coffee. Who can blame you really??

There is'nt much to a french press.. Bodum make a nice one and are easy to find. I have one thats around 32oz and it's a good size.

Grinders. There is a huge range of grinders. I have a cheapo whirly blade grider. $20 I have figured out how to make it work pretty well. If you want to step it up and get a more even grind Burr grinders are better $50-$300 and up.

I use my french press on the weekends and at my desk at work.. Still use my drip machine most mornings. French press requires a courser gind

When in doubt search the coffee forum. Lots of good info out there. One note of caution though, Mr.Moo can get a little nuts!!
    Right arm, sounds good. And I'll watch out for Mr. Moo...is he Chock Full O' Nuts? Sorry, that was lame...

Newbie in the ocean

I am amazed by the roasting process. I love Kona coffee and harvesting and roasting the beans is almost an art form in Hawaii. I roasted my own coffee beans in days gone by but have not tried it in years and I'm really thinking about it now...

Quote Originally Posted by javadiva View Post
    I am amazed by the roasting process. I love Kona coffee and harvesting and roasting the beans is almost an art form in Hawaii. I roasted my own coffee beans in days gone by but have not tried it in years and I'm really thinking about it now...
    I have a buddy who just got back from Hawaii yesterday and said he has a "present" for me. I love Kona too.

Roasting is one of those things you can always get back into. I don't do it a lot but when I do I enjoy the entire process very much.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9