Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Costco coffee

This is a discussion on Costco coffee within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; I am far from being a coffee expert. All I know is I like it. And about as fancy as ...

Full grown Puffer Fish parris001's Avatar

Costco coffee

I am far from being a coffee expert. All I know is I like it. And about as fancy as I get is I grind my own beans. Can anyone recommend a coffee bean from Costco they consider to be very good? I wanna come close to sampling what a true aficionado considers to be a great cup.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader mosesbotbol's Avatar

Re: Costco coffee

Thumbs up on Costco, but they are a little limited on coffee bean selection. Starbucks is one of their high-end sellers. Never seen them carry an espresso bean blend, so never considered them for coffee.

Unless you go through 2 lb's+ a week, there's little benefit buying from Costco, as freshness trumps price when it comes to coffee. I like to buy beans from my local cafe as they are always fresh and never have to buy too much.
    Do you speak Campagnolo - F1- Alfa Romeo - IWC - Robiola?

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Quote Originally Posted by parris001 View Post
    I am far from being a coffee expert. All I know is I like it. And about as fancy as I get is I grind my own beans. Can anyone recommend a coffee bean from Costco they consider to be very good? I wanna come close to sampling what a true aficionado considers to be a great cup.
    My wife bought me the Colombian Supremo, and I was actually surprised. The stuff's not half bad! It's not going to knock your socks off, but it's a fairly tasty straight-forward tasting coffee. It's a little light for my taste, but it's definitely drinkable, and a certain step-up from your typical grocery store mass-produced brands. That being said, I still order most of my coffee from www.theroasterie.com.

Thanks for the advise.

Luvin' me some Lagavulin billybarue's Avatar

Novasurf published a link in the following thread about reviews on coffee from the big box stores: http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128866

I love COSTCO and was very surprised to see SAMS club trumps them when it comes to coffee. No COSTCO in my town so I settled for SAMS membership. I miss not having a COSTCO, but I have to say I have been very happy with the coffee recommended at SAMS. I am as you describe in your original post - not a big a coffee aficianado, and the SAMS coffees have fit my caffeine needs very well.

FWIW

"A Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --- Thucydides

Leading Puffer Fish

I LOVE Costco coffee. I drink it almost exclusively. My local store has a roaster in it. The bags are usually still warm when I pick them up, so I've never had any issues with freshness. I alternate between the Sumatra and the Guatamalan. I buy one bag of each, and put them straight in the freezer. I keep a supply in one of those Folger's "Aroma-Seal" plastic "cans". My former favorite, from a local roaster, is $10-12/lb in the supermarket, and this is $7-10 for 2-2.5 lbs, and it gives up not a single thing on flavor. Besides, Costco is on my way home from work, so I haven't bought anything from Sam's in a couple of years.

I've just never been a big fan of StarBucks. They over-roast everything, for my taste. It just tastes burnt, to me.
    "That's destruction at its finest!" - R. Lee Ermey

Quote Originally Posted by pistol View Post
    My wife bought me the Colombian Supremo, and I was actually surprised. The stuff's not half bad! It's not going to knock your socks off, but it's a fairly tasty straight-forward tasting coffee. It's a little light for my taste, but it's definitely drinkable, and a certain step-up from your typical grocery store mass-produced brands. That being said, I still order most of my coffee from www.theroasterie.com.
    I agree with your assesment. It's the best they have IMHO. It's a little on the light side, but gets the job done. My wife likes it, but she prefers her coffee on the light side. I tend to like mine stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualNoob View Post
    I LOVE Costco coffee. I drink it almost exclusively. My local store has a roaster in it. The bags are usually still warm when I pick them up, so I've never had any issues with freshness. I alternate between the Sumatra and the Guatamalan. I buy one bag of each, and put them straight in the freezer. I keep a supply in one of those Folger's "Aroma-Seal" plastic "cans". My former favorite, from a local roaster, is $10-12/lb in the supermarket, and this is $7-10 for 2-2.5 lbs, and it gives up not a single thing on flavor. Besides, Costco is on my way home from work, so I haven't bought anything from Sam's in a couple of years.

I've just never been a big fan of StarBucks. They over-roast everything, for my taste. It just tastes burnt, to me.
    I agree, I don't like their Starbucks either (or Starbucks in general). I never thought of the taste as burnt, but now that you mention it, I think you are spot on!

On a side note, I vacuum pack my coffee. Depending on how quickly you go through it, it does make a difference!
    Bill
    Check out the Newbie Sampler Trade:clicky

Thanks for the advise. At least now I feel like I might be drinking a decent grade of brew.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Ace$nyper's Avatar

Use a ton of it at work.

Not bad at all really, not great but beats most other random cups.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pistol View Post
    I hear ya as I bought a bag of this coffee hoping for the best and I wasn't disappointed. The problem with buying anything at Costco is the amount you get so if you like it then you're in business but if you don't like you have a butt-load left.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

The Costco near us roasts their own beans. We buy the Costa Rican Blend as it's the darkest. Not French or Itailian roast, but dark. It's surprisingly good. We use in our drip.
    www.zonedar.com
    [SIZE="2"]If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning[/SIZE]

Elder Puffer Fish Leader mosesbotbol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualNoob View Post
    I LOVE Costco coffee. I drink it almost exclusively. My local store has a roaster in it. The bags are usually still warm when I pick them up, so I've never had any issues with freshness.

Besides, Costco is on my way home from work, so I haven't bought anything from Sam's in a couple of years.
    Bastard...
    Do you speak Campagnolo - F1- Alfa Romeo - IWC - Robiola?

Young Fish

The columbian is pretty good..especially for the price.

Starbucks coffee is beyond disgusting. Never will i buy that burnt junk.

Full grown Puffer Fish AspiringGent's Avatar

My local Costco only has Starbucks in it. I find Starbucks beans to be so over-roasted it's hard to really get the taste out of the beans - all the flavour comes from the roasting. I much prefer to buy from my local coffee shop, which roasts their beans fresh every morning... awesome!

I've had a few of the beans from Costco in the past...not too bad but not as good as you can get from a local roaster.

I always recommend getting your beans local when you can. No need to spend $ with a big box store and have your local guy go out of business.
    Coffee is Food! Spread the Word

www.killerbeans.com
    Spread the word...Coffee Is Food!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast