Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Stovetop Coffee Roasting....

This is a discussion on Stovetop Coffee Roasting.... within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Well, being a pennypinching bastage, I'm looking for a fairly cheap way of home roasting coffee. I don't know why, ...

The Screamin' Eagle \m/ Lumpold's Avatar

Stovetop Coffee Roasting....

Well, being a pennypinching bastage, I'm looking for a fairly cheap way of home roasting coffee. I don't know why, but the idea of using a hot air popcorn popper doesn't appeal to me, even though I'm sure compared to the method I am about to ask about it's a fair more suitable method.

I've seen alot of material regarding using a wok or similar large pan to roast coffee beans over a stove. I have also found a couple of articles about using a WhirlyPop Stovetop Popcorn Maker. Do any of you Home Roast Guru Gorillas have any experience using this method? Is it an easy method for a Home Roast Noob Gorilla? Does it produce an even roast? Do the paddles move the coffee around enough? Will I burn my beans?
    [size=4]FRANK AND BEANS! FRANK AND BEANS! DON'T WANNA BURN MY BEANS![/size]

Rick, if Mr M'oo ever figures it out... we'll have to find another blind sailor
    "They must be a group of subversive pasty makers"

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Re: Stovetop Coffee Roasting....

Hey - have at it! I had one (for popcorn) and tried it. It made a lot of smoke, roasted uneven, needed constant cranking/shaking, beans got caught under the turner-thingie and it went back to the cabinet. I didn't have good luck with it - which is not to say others won't.

I've also tried wok, cast iron skillet, microwave and all that jazz. On the way in, cheap? Popper. I found one more if you want the old $5/popper plus 1/2lb green beans deal.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

The last popper.

The hurricane coffee maker.

Roast early - roast often.

Be prepared - it's getting round that time again.

SvilleKid

Quote Originally Posted by Mister MaDuroo
    Hey - have at it! I had one (for popcorn) and tried it. It made a lot of smoke, roasted uneven, needed constant cranking/shaking, beans got caught under the turner-thingie and it went back to the cabinet. I didn't have good luck with it - which is not to say others won't.

I've also tried wok, cast iron skillet, microwave and all that jazz. On the way in, cheap? Popper. I found one more if you want the old $5/popper plus 1/2lb green beans deal.
    Take the man up on his popper/roaster, James. You will not be sorry. Dan is very willing to accept some maduros in trade!!! Bet the custome agents will sure look at that package funny!! "What the heck, a 20 year old popcorn popper thru the mail?" !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SvilleKid
    Bet the custome agents will sure look at that package funny!!
    I didn't know Jerkwater was in Berkshire, UK, until late last night Mr. SvilleKid. My bad - thought it was a county seat in eastern North Carolina. Who knew? A US popper in the UK would run a little hot - maybe perfect for one very short roast?

The Screamin' Eagle \m/ Lumpold's Avatar

Having read the coffee newsgroup you informed me of, UK poppers seem to run a little hotter than US models anyway.... it's gonna be finding one that'll be fun....

Rick, if Mr M'oo ever figures it out... we'll have to find another blind sailor
    "They must be a group of subversive pasty makers"