Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Keurig "my K Cup"

This is a discussion on Keurig "my K Cup" within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Ekobrew > Solofill > My K-cup. In that order. From my exprerience the Ekobrew works the best, it's easier to ...

Re: Keurig "my K Cup"

Ekobrew > Solofill > My K-cup. In that order. From my exprerience the Ekobrew works the best, it's easier to use, clean and leaves the least residue among the three.

Young Puffer Fish

one thing to watch out for is the Kuerig "half Cup" . The machine will get scale or the dispensor will get plugged with grounds or cocoa and it will shut off with a half cup brew. definetly go to kuerig and register your brewer. You will get a coupon code to order 4 boxes of k -cups of your choice on a buy 2 get 2 free so you end up spending like 28 dollars for 80-90 cups. The coffee is expensive but decent a kuerig will stand behind the product and doesnt hesitate to send a new brewer if yours cant be fixed by cleaning ect..

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Ekobrew > Solofill > My K-cup. In that order. From my exprerience the Ekobrew works the best, it's easier to use, clean and leaves the least residue among the three.
    This one? Ekobrew | love coffee. love the earth.

Looks like it would be easier to clean up than the solofil due to the flat bottom. I may have to snag one to try. Thanks!!!

The solofill I have is very easy to clean out. The trick to making it easy to clean is to clean it out right after using it. If you let the grounds sit in there for a while they're harder to clean out. If you do it right away they rinse out easily. I'm sure the ekobrew is going to be the same way.

I was going to say to tamp it down. That will help. And grind it finer!

Quote Originally Posted by anonobomber View Post
    The solofill I have is very easy to clean out. The trick to making it easy to clean is to clean it out right after using it. If you let the grounds sit in there for a while they're harder to clean out. If you do it right away they rinse out easily. I'm sure the ekobrew is going to be the same way.
    Mine always gets a chunk of grounds stubbornly stuck in that little nub at the bottom, even if I clean it immediately. It's not bad enough to make me quit using it, but annoying enough that I'd be willing to shell out $15 to try out the ekobrew.

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    This one? Ekobrew | love coffee. love the earth.

Looks like it would be easier to clean up than the solofil due to the flat bottom. I may have to snag one to try. Thanks!!!
    That's the one. I got a 2-pack from Amazon. It's cheaper there, especially if you have Amazon prime free shipping.

I stopped using my Solofill after getting these.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    what he said is spot on! I gave the ekobrew to my parents since they really only drink decaf and those are harder to find in kcups. I use the solofil for now until I get a replacement for the eko.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Just brewed my first cup in the ekobrew. I do like it better than the solofil. It's slightly larger than the solofil, so it holds more grounds for a stronger (or bigger) cup of coffee. And the flat bottom makes it easier to clean

Puffer Fish with some spikes LLave's Avatar

Wait.... what? I practically have to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
    I use this

and it's WONDERFUL!!

It's actually espresso, but it makes a damn good cuppa in my Keurig...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Matt4370's Avatar

Wish I could get my M-I-L to use the damn My K Cup! She must think this stuff is cheap!

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Just popped my K-cup cherry today after years of owning a Hamilton Beach Brewaster. Wish I had checked this thread out before picking up the "my K-cup". Thanks for the heads up on the ekobrew. I went ahead and bookmarked it for the time I'll probably buy one (sooner rather than later I'm sure). After only a use or two I can already see the inconvenience of having to pop out the holder as my wife is enjoying the samples that came with the machine. Good info here. Thanks!
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Any more review on the Ekobrew? I need to find something other than the pre made cups all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by edin508 View Post
    Any more review on the Ekobrew? I need to find something other than the pre made cups all the time.
    The Ekobrew is fantastic. I bought a few to bring to work, since they only have a Keurig there. I prefer French Press at home, sometimes Moka Pot if I want something very strong. The Ekobrew is no French Press or Moka Pot, but it certainly makes a much better cup than the disgusting K-cups. It leaves a fine mist in the bottom of the cup, like a French Press, which I enjoy. It's better than regular drip coffee, IMO. (To be fair, though, I haven't really had drip coffee in a long time.)

I'd recommend getting one if you need to switch from prepackaged K-cups.
    "But when I don't smoke I scarcely feel as if I'm living. I don't feel as if I'm living unless I'm killing myself." —Russell Hoban

Quote Originally Posted by edin508 View Post
    I'll give another 2 cents.

I bought some new coffee to try that seems to be ground finer than normal ground coffee. Not quite espresso grind, but almost that fine. Anyway, neither the Ekobrew nor the Solofil does very well with it. It seems that this finer ground coffee clogs the screen filter. I have to take care to put the coffee in it very loosely, and my Keurig still seems to take longer than usual to fill a cup. With the Ekobrew, I have to hold the cup right under the nozzle, as it tends to want to spew the coffee out in different directions rather than down in a straight stream. The Solofil fares better - no random sideways squirting of coffee, but still brews slowly. I assume the difference is because of the flat bottom of the Ekobrew versus the tapered nipple bottom of the Solofil.

Anyway. I never had this issue with "normal" grind coffee, just this fine ground stuff. The first batch that started doing this actually was espresso, IIRC. The current batch is Dunkin Donuts Turbo. Regular dark roast Dunkin Donuts is no problem, though. The Turbo is definitely ground finer.

So I'm reaching for the Solofil more often now, only because of the sideways squirting with the fine ground stuff in the Ekobrew. For the most part, aside from this issue that has only cropped up recently with fine ground coffee, my original slight preference for the Ekobrew still stands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2