Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Keurig "my K Cup"

This is a discussion on Keurig "my K Cup" within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; I just got a new Keurig yesterday to replace a really nice coffee maker. Unfortunately the cleanup was to much ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Dubv23's Avatar

Keurig "my K Cup"

I just got a new Keurig yesterday to replace a really nice coffee maker. Unfortunately the cleanup was to much to handle so the Keurig was a viable replacement.

I got a My K cup to be able to use my own coffee since I already have some ground 8 o'clock left over. I gave it a shot filled to the line and the brew wasn't strong at all. Tasted like water really.

Did I not use a strong enought blend (Colombian). Is it be ause the grind wasn't course enough or a little of both? I dumped it right out and make a cup with the sample that came with and it was ten times better.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes cp478's Avatar

Re: Keurig "my K Cup"

I have the same trouble. I love the k=cups and the machine, but have had a horrible time trying to get decent coffee using the my k=cup attatchment.
    Corporal Punishment!

Full grown Puffer Fish Strickland's Avatar

I use this

and it's WONDERFUL!!

It's actually espresso, but it makes a damn good cuppa in my Keurig...
    Mah blog! -->

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubv23 View Post
    I just got a new Keurig yesterday to replace a really nice coffee maker. Unfortunately the cleanup was to much to handle so the Keurig was a viable replacement.

I got a My K cup to be able to use my own coffee since I already have some ground 8 o'clock left over. I gave it a shot filled to the line and the brew wasn't strong at all. Tasted like water really.

Did I not use a strong enought blend (Colombian). Is it be ause the grind wasn't course enough or a little of both? I dumped it right out and make a cup with the sample that came with and it was ten times better.
    I have good results when I use My K Cup. I haven't seen a line like you mentioned to measure the coffee, I just fill the basket to 1/4" below the rim, and tamp it down kinda tight, like you would with espresso. works well every time. The problem I have figured out, is, the pre made k cup is almost like instant and drip coffee mixed together, and there is a small paper filter inside the cup, which causes the coffee to build pressure inside the cup, in turn letting it brew a little before it's dispensed into your mug. When using the my k cup, there is almost no resistance, and water will almost pour out as fast as it goes in, giving it no chance to brew. You have to create your own resistance, as previously stated, by using more than the recommended amount of grounds, and packing them tightly. Keep playing with it, eventually you'll get it figured out. Trial and error.
    Last edited by Poneill272; 12-23-2011 at 11:51 AM.

I hate the "my k-cup" thing. Try this, it's a much simpler, more elegant, and easier to use solution: Solofill Cup, Reusable K-Cup, Refillable K-Cup for Keurig Brewers

I've made 8 o'clock French Roast with the solofill, and it's a pretty decent cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    I hate the "my k-cup" thing. Try this, it's a much simpler, more elegant, and easier to use solution: Solofill Cup, Reusable K-Cup, Refillable K-Cup for Keurig Brewers

I've made 8 o'clock French Roast with the solofill, and it's a pretty decent cup of coffee.
    That things bada$$!! I think I'm going to order one. Good lookin out!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poneill272 View Post
    That things bada$$!! I think I'm going to order one. Good lookin out!!
    You might be able to pick it up locally. I found mine at Bed Bath and Beyond.

You might be able to pick it up locally. I found mine at Bed Bath and Beyond.
    I'll check them out too, theres a BBB near me too.

Thanks for the info! My wife is about to become a Keurig owner and the advice I can gleam from you K-Vets will definitely help! BTW, we also have a Tassimo but I keep that at work and charge my coworkers for latte's!
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

I use that same thing and it works pretty well. My wife and I have used it for about a year now and it always makes good coffee.

Great info, I have been wanting one of these for some time now.

Thanks to all of you for the input!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes cp478's Avatar

Thanks for the help.
    I dont know why it didnt occur to me to tamp the coffee in the my k=cup attatchment.
    Corporal Punishment!

Wow, that solofill looks like a perfect solution to a couple of my gripes with the "my k cup".... most notably the screw on lid, and the fact that you need to remove the internal k-cup holder to put that massive grey piece in...

Young Puffer Fish

I kinda scrapped the Kcup idea when it too longer to get it right then did my french press.

Keurigs make decent coffee when in a pinch for time.

When I decided to use the My K-Cup I experimented with grind consistencies to find the right combination. I like strong coffee so I grind my beans to and espresso consistency and it works great. A nice very strong cup. On the other hand that cup shown above looks interesting I might have to experiment with that as well
    The import thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast