Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Broken Bodum- What Next

This is a discussion on Broken Bodum- What Next within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Girlfriend was stirring her coffee with a wooden spoon and knocked a huge chunk out of the side of the ...

Broken Bodum- What Next

Girlfriend was stirring her coffee with a wooden spoon and knocked a huge chunk out of the side of the french press. The instructions indicate to use a wooden spoon to stir to prevent this but it happened anyway. Have any of you worked with Bodum on replacing a beaker before-the item is 3 months old and this shouldn't have happened. Second, I would like some opinions of my fellow puffers on where I go from here in regards to coffee preparation. Should we buy a machine or stick with the french press. We drink a lot of coffee (both college students). Thanks for your time guys!
    Disciplina praesidium civitatis VTL

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: Broken Bodum- What Next

I have a Bodum and actually use a standard metal spoon with it and have never had a problem. I use it almost daily. I suppose it could happen though! Glad to know.

I don't have any experience with other brands of presses other than a Mr. Coffee brand press that I started out with. I won't even compare it to a Bodum... It was junk.

I've tried to go back to a drip style machine after using my press simply for the speed and convience but I just can't stand the taste of anything other than pressed or a pour over brew. In short I recommend you stay with the press.

I'm not positive but I believe I have seen some "recycled" Bodum presses at Starbucks for sale. I know they appear to be plastic (haven't looked at them in detail however - they may still have glass) which would be much more durable.

Girlfriend wants to "upgrade" to a machine. I may be upgrading my girlfriend soon.
    Disciplina praesidium civitatis VTL

I stir my press with a plastic chopstick

I use a mini rubber spatula. Was like 50 cents at the grocery store. She must have been hammering away at the glass.

You can get replacement glassware on Amazon. Probably your cheapest bet other than getting a new one.

"Upgrading" would probably cost a fortune to get press quality coffee from a maker. You could always buy a ceramic funnel and do a pour through. Super cheap and easy. I know how the college budget goes. I have a bodum 3 cup press and an old Braun coffee maker. I use the Braun when I don't have time for the press.

Quote Originally Posted by abhoe View Post
    Girlfriend wants to "upgrade" to a machine. I may be upgrading my girlfriend soon.
    Hey, let's keep it clean. This is supposed to be a discussion about coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by abhoe View Post
    Girlfriend was stirring her coffee with a wooden spoon and knocked a huge chunk out of the side of the french press.
    Was this right after you said or did something to make her angry?

Quote Originally Posted by SamF View Post
    I stir my press with a plastic chopstick
    I used wooden (bamboo?) chopsticks. Never had a problem until my son accidentally knocked it off the drying towel and broke it.