Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grounds to Water Ratio?

This is a discussion on Grounds to Water Ratio? within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; I recently bought a package of shade grown, organic, free trade coffee and was reading the direction to see how ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes A144's Avatar

Grounds to Water Ratio?

I recently bought a package of shade grown, organic, free trade coffee and was reading the direction to see how much coffee it called for. It calls for 2 tablespoons of grounds to 6oz (3/4cup) of water. I hate weak coffee, but that seems like a bit much. Our 12 cup coffee maker wouldn't even hold the recommended amount of grounds (2 cups, if my math is correct).

Anyways, I much prefer a 1 tablespoon grounds to 1 cup water ratio. My parents make it with 1/2TBSP to 1 Cup and I can only describe it as watery...

This just got me wondering what everyone else prefers.

Re: Grounds to Water Ratio?

1 rounded tablespoon per 4-6oz of coffee, is a good average.

Ground density will change pending the grind, for instance, espresso grind will be a lot more compact than say course, for the french press.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish jaysalti's Avatar

With my press I use the standard 2 flat tablespoons per 6oz. Could probably get by with 1.5 per 6oz, but I also do not fully boil the water or let it sit the full four minutes. Also it's easier to add hot water if it's too dense.
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

My Cuisinart came with a little plastic scoop - I use a 1:1 ratio of whole beans in that scoop to one cup. It turns out perfectly. If I had to guess, it holds maybe 3/4 to 1 tablespoon of beans and the same in grounds most likely. The Cuisinart grinds the beans and drops it in a basket to brew, so I never really measure out grounds. The coffee is never watery, it has some robust flavor without getting gritty or "thick."
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

Wow, 2 tbs per cup? I've never heard of that. The standard is 1 tbs per cup. I usually do just fine with this and some of my family complain that it's too strong.

Lots of good info here:

The Basics
    Build a Sampler or Get a Blinder Here! http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/want-s...ur-choice.html

Newbie in the ocean denishicks8's Avatar

A good rule for a good strong cup of coffee is 1 tablespoon to each 8oz. of water.
    one cup of water to one heaping tablespoon is good....

Quote Originally Posted by jaysalti View Post
    Lots of good info here:

The Basics
    And sometimes people named Justin are wrong

When at home, which is where I normally do my french press, moka, and mukka potting... I have a decent bur grinder, it has a setting for how many "cups", I leave it on 4 most of the time, and just hit go. it's about right for what I've found I like. Granted I'm doing more like 1tb per 4ish oz of water. Find what works for you, usually on a bodum french press the grounds will be at or close to the bottom part of the pastic/metal outer support for the glass container.

well, i suppose i just like a strong cup o coffee! Maybe some variation b/t press and drip...

Quote Originally Posted by jaysalti View Post

well, i suppose i just like a strong cup o coffee!

WUT?

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Hmmmm, I always brew a pot at a time and use just over a half cup of grounds per 12 cup pot of coffee. I guess that works out to just under a tablespoon per cup of coffee. Always tasted right to me. Maybe I should try with more grounds.
    It's a trap!

Lolzzz

Good discussion so far. I think I may try a nice heaping TBSP to 1 cup water this weekend and see how I like it.

Well, I used about 6 TBPS to my 4 cups this morning and have to say I preferred the 1 to 1 ratio better. Although I think either would've been better with a nice cigar!

Quote Originally Posted by A144 View Post
    Well, I used about 6 TBPS to my 4 cups this morning and have to say I preferred the 1 to 1 ratio better. Although I think either would've been better with a nice cigar!
    But you were AWAKE!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast