Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reasons behind bad tasting coffee?

This is a discussion on Reasons behind bad tasting coffee? within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Why coffee tastes bad sometimes,though i make it with the same method every time....what can be the reasons for bad ...

Newbie in the ocean denishicks8's Avatar

Reasons behind bad tasting coffee?

Why coffee tastes bad sometimes,though i make it with the same method every time....what can be the reasons for bad tasting coffee?

Re: Reasons behind bad tasting coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by denishicks8 View Post
    Why coffee tastes bad sometimes,though i make it with the same method every time....what can be the reasons for bad tasting coffee?
    More specifics would help such as what method are you using to brew your coffee? I find that most often with the drip makers like Mr. Coffee and others, they accumulate build up from hard water and such. You can buy a commercial coffee maker cleaner or just run pure white vinegar through the machine a few times. Be sure and run several cycles of clean water through after you use either method.
    “A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

Puffer Fish with many spikes

The worst culpri is probably air getting to your grinds. Coffee quickly oxidizes upon contact with air, even faster once it's ground. But I agree with Marc, tell us more about your coffee storing methods and brewing style.
    The best cigar I ever smoked will be the next one I try.

Newbie in the ocean denishicks8's Avatar

Method which i use: Hot water is poured over coarsely ground coffee at the bottom of a glass container, covered and steeped for several minutes. The coffee is then "pressed" through a strainer/plunger and poured hot into the cup.
    longburn,i will air getting to grinds now! Thanks for useful tip!
    And i store coffee in air tight container.

Method which i use: Hot water is poured over coarsely ground coffee at the bottom of a glass container, covered and steeped for several minutes. The coffee is then "pressed" through a strainer/plunger and poured hot into the cup.
    longburn,i will air getting to grinds now! Thanks for useful tip!
    And i store coffee in air tight container.
    So you are using a french press. If the coffee is freshly ground & you steep it for the same amount of time each brew then the coffee should be consistent. Water quality sounds like your issue whether it be the water supply or your kettle at fault.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Don't by any mains use tap water!
    I think that is the biggest deciding factor personally.
    Also if you use a drip pot never use that re usable filter.
    I use bottled water and paper filters, When i make drip coffee.
    When its just coffee for me i like the french press.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Newbie in the ocean

Hi,
    Basically 5 reasons behind bad tasting coffee

1. The machine is dirty
    2. Grind too coarse/Grinder Ignored
    3. The coffee is stale
    4. The coffee is simply of a poor quality
    5. People do not taste their own coffee

Thanks
    kencovending .co .uk

One reason (I can't seem to convince my wife) is any coffee left on the burner will burn. So, I turn the pot off, and heat what is left in the MW or drink it iced.

Conscientious Objector Cardinal's Avatar

Water temperature seems to affect taste in the french press too. I boil water in the kettle, then once it starts boiling I take it off the stove for about 5-7 minutes, then pour into the press.

Going straight from a hard boil into the coffee grounds seems to produce a little more unpleasant bitterness.
    Death comes for us all, Oroku Saki, but something much worse comes for you. For when you die, it will be...without honor - Splinter

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Water temperature seems to affect taste in the french press too. I boil water in the kettle, then once it starts boiling I take it off the stove for about 5-7 minutes, then pour into the press.

Going straight from a hard boil into the coffee grounds seems to produce a little more unpleasant bitterness.
    Thats a good tip. Another thing that I do is pour about 3 fingers of water into the press over the grounds, stir, cover and let sit for 30 sec or so. Then pour the rest of the water in and give it 3min to brew.

If everything else is consistent then it must be the water. I constantly preach water quality when people are making coffee, but it's in one ear out the other. Second to quality of coffee is the quality of water. If you use a drip machine with good water you'll get 10x better coffee than a French press with tap water (depending where you are, but 90% of the time anyway).

I can hardly stand drip coffee at my work because our water tastes weird. I gave up even making nice coffee here usually and go with Taster's Choice because I don't have time to heat water and then press it, and we have a 190* faucet here to make instant. And, yes, Taster's Choice is a better alternative to Maxwell House in the Bunn.
    Everything I say should be read in a sarcastic manner first. If the sarcasm makes no sense, read it as if I'm drunk.

We only use bottled water in our drip, french and espresso machines. Walmart-$0.79 a gallon.

Full grown Puffer Fish

t Don't take offense to any of the information posted above.

Bad Tasting Coffee has been a complaint of mine for a number of years.
    I continue to use cold water from tap.
    I use paper filters
    Use one tab. spoonful for each 6 ozs of water (measured). Therefore I make three cups to start day and use 18 os tap, three tablesspoonful hefty of Community Coffee.

Sometime it good - sometimes it's not, but tolerable.

Believe I read on Community bag 8oz water with two tablespoons of Community Club. Most of the time I will add one shake of salt for each tablespoon of coffee to help eliminate the bitterness. Learned from long time coffee operator of many years.

Go to my brothers house, and their coffee is always the same, consistently good. They measure nothing. Add water to carafe, dip out grounds, and turn pot on. Like I said consistencency is what I'm after.

Good points made in this post. I needed all of them.

Never have tried a coffee press, but may have to.

Interesting article for my reading - thanks to the OP for starting and additional comments submitted. Even enjoy a good cup a couple of hours before bedtime some nights.

Best Regards,

Hog Jaw.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSPHOTO View Post
    We only use bottled water in our drip, french and espresso machines. Walmart-$0.79 a gallon.
    KL License #2157

Newbie in the ocean

There are many reasons that coffee can come out bitter and unsatisfying. Bad or stale coffee, water temperature, coffee grind, amount of coffee, extraction time, water temp, dirty equipment, or improper preparation. I would start with the coffee, be sure to buy some fresh coffee.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Got my problems taken care over past two months, thanks to all.

Wash / dry carafe daily or every other, and start with tap water from the hot side and I mean as hot as the heater delivers.

Problems solved.

So deliciously enjoyable now. Thanks.
    KL License #2157

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast