Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Time for a new coffemaker

This is a discussion on Time for a new coffemaker within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; This morning started as spectacularily as I can imagine, woke up, started the coffeepot and when I walked back into ...

abe

Time for a new coffemaker

This morning started as spectacularily as I can imagine, woke up, started the coffeepot and when I walked back into the kitchen for that oh so delicious cup of joe.... I was greeted by a growing puddle of coffee on the counter, on the floor, basically everywhere After looking over the situation I decided its time for the coffeemaker to go buh-bye and now I am shopping for a new system, First I looked at Keurigs then I came across a Hamilton Beach unit that uses "senseo" pods. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with these systems? The problem is I make one travel cup before I leave for work and the rest just goes in the drain. with both of these systems you can basically fill a travel mug and thats it... Thanks in advance for the input folks

ABE
    "My Parents told me I could be anything I wanted, so I became an asshole "

Puffer Fish with many spikes lebz's Avatar

Re: Time for a new coffemaker

We had a Tassimo for sometime. I liked it at first but we eventually went back to the classic brew/grinding.
    Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar. ~ Mark Twain

Ever thought of one of those travel french presses?

I love the idea of the single cup makers, however...I just got back from a trip to Seattle, and the hotel had free Starbucks coffee in those "pods" and a Mr Coffee 1 cup coffeemaker.

Personal opinion - the coffee in the pods/packets tasted old. And I don't think it's just that the hotel uses old coffee (it was NOT a cheap hotel), i think that the production of those pods must take up time that otherwise could mean the fresh coffee is sitting on the shelf.

So - I think in your situation, a 1 cup maker makes perfect sense. Wasted coffee is not cool. But I suggest considering a Keurig single cup machine, using something like this, that lets you use good, fresh coffee in it and not that store bought pre-packaged pods stuff that might just be stale/old coffee stuck in K-pods:
    Ekobrew Reusable Filter for Single-Cup Brewers Brown - Coffee Accessories - Gifts and More - Coffee Bean Direct

You get to use fresh coffee, but get the convenience of a single cup coffeemaker

A similar device might be available for the Senseo pods, but I'd recommend whatever maker you go with - find an adapter that lets you use fresh coffee, not that old stuff stuck in a cup from who knows when.
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

Hey maybe give this maker a look too. Just makes a smaller amount of coffee.

Hamilton Beach 48274 Brew Station 6-Cup Coffeemaker,Black: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

I have not had any experience with the Senseo pod brewers but I love my Keurig. With all of the options for coffee you should be able to find some that you like. The only thing I would suggest is that if you decide to go with the Keurig, make sure you get it from somewhere you can get an extended protection plan, as they are notorious for lasting just over a year. With the cost of one of their machines it can get pretty expensive to replace it that often. I am on my second one (with an extended protection plan) and I have several friends who have had them go bad within the same amount of time.

I have not noticed any stale taste to the k-cups I have purchased but I always check the date on the boxes that I purchase. As Mike said, the Ekobrew is a great option if you want to use your own coffee.

Good Luck!

abe

Thanks for the input guys, I think I have settled on the Keurig instead of the senseo. Like stone said I think they might end up getting (or even being bought) stale and that just doesnt sound good at all. I will be sure to post my opinions once it finally shows up.
    "My Parents told me I could be anything I wanted, so I became an asshole "