Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Coffee Bean Grinders

This is a discussion on Coffee Bean Grinders within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Been googling these and looks as if I can spend any amount of money I can afford on a grinder. ...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Coffee Bean Grinders

Been googling these and looks as if I can spend any amount of money I can afford on a grinder.

Don't know if this is a passing fad for me, but would like to buy beans and grind my own.

Does grinder results affect quality of the brewed coffee I guess is my question?

Anyone recommend a particular grinder for a bean grinder NOOB?

Hope this is not as addictive as cigars!
    KL License #2157

Puffer Fish with some spikes ggcadc's Avatar

Talking Re: Coffee Bean Grinders

seriously, this is as addictive as cigars... that said, grinders are the MOST important part of a coffee setup, I use baratza grinders, I love my virtuoso for coffee and preciso for espresso, I also have some hand grinders. you dont have to pay a fortune for a good grinder, taht is what baratza is all about as a brand. they have a $130 entry level grinder that is pretty good. I like the burr set on the grinders I have, though they do require some watching as the plastic parts tend to wear more quickly than some of the more industrial grinders I've had (Rancillio Rocky, Gaggia MDF) who's internals are all metal. These produce a better grind overall though.

believe me, this can get out of hand, but it's worth it.

Re: Coffee Bean Grinders

oh wow, looking at that pic I just noticed that's when I had some Gesha varietal from guatemala, crazy good stuff, sweet, tea like, total lack of bitterness, miss that stuff...

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss cartey's Avatar

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to the coffee forum. Obviously you haven't learned enough from the cigar side that you really shouldn't ask "should I buy this?" or "do I need that?". Yes, YES, and YES, you do!!

Freshness of the coffee beans is one of the most crucial factors to determine a good cup of joe. When fresh, the coffee is fragrant and charismatic. You can taste the nuance and the differences that distinguish between two origins. Now, when you pre-ground your coffee, you increase the surface area of the coffee ground, thus increase the air exchange rate. The coffee interacts with oxygen much faster, and therefore goes stale much faster as well. If you talk to a coffee lover, one will always tell you that you should grind your beans only JUST BEFORE it touches the hot water. The shorter the time the coffee is in its ground state, the better.

Another advantage that I can think of is that by having a grinder at home, you have a much larger available selection of coffee you can purchase; otherwise you're only stuck with the limited offerings in supermarket for pre-ground coffee. Or I guess if you buy at a roaster, you can ask them to grind for you..... but don't! lol

So to answer your question, it definitely affects immensely the quality of your coffee. Though, I shall add, if one is keen to Starbucks beans, Millstone, or the like that are already sitting on shelf for 2 months, the difference in taste would be smaller.

As for recommendation, I'll leave that to others more experienced in the brewed coffee field; I'm more of an espresso guy. Espresso typically is more demanding about grinder, and so it might be an overkill for a beginner brewed coffee grinder.

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss cartey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ggcadc View Post
    seriously, this is as addictive as cigars... that said, grinders are the MOST important part of a coffee setup, I use baratza grinders, I love my virtuoso for coffee and preciso for espresso, I also have some hand grinders. you dont have to pay a fortune for a good grinder, taht is what baratza is all about as a brand. they have a $130 entry level grinder that is pretty good. I like the burr set on the grinders I have, though they do require some watching as the plastic parts tend to wear more quickly than some of the more industrial grinders I've had (Rancillio Rocky, Gaggia MDF) who's internals are all metal. These produce a better grind overall though.
    I've heard good things about the Baratza Virtuoso for brewed coffee!

I actually chose the KitchenAid Bur Grinder and I've been very happy with it.
    That thing is rock solid, built like a Sherman Tank, heavy as one too.
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

those are nice looking, I thought about getting one a while back, they are a nice cast piece and I think it's a conical burr. even better is the glass grounds catch.

I have a Hario Skerton that I made a few adjustments to, both for stability and to prolong the life of the grinder. It does everything I ask it to and it's probably going to be with me for quite a long time!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Full grown Puffer Fish

As I suspected, believe this might be more expensive than cigars.

Googled most brands mentioned, and continue ..........

Afraid to open any of the other Coffee related forums here ......... might be contagious!

Thanks all for comments.
    KL License #2157

Young Fish

I've always been afraid that having good coffee would be another addiction I can't afford! I know I should have gone into the financial world when I was young instead of the military..oh well...semper paratus!