Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Took the roasting plunge

This is a discussion on Took the roasting plunge within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; Just ordered a bunch of Green Coffee Beans, Hot air popper, and Grinder!!!! Indonesian Org. Balinese Blue Moon -1 Lb. ...

Took the roasting plunge

Just ordered a bunch of Green Coffee Beans, Hot air popper, and Grinder!!!!

Indonesian Org. Balinese Blue Moon -1 Lb. bag
    100% Premium Hawaiian; Red Maui Kaanpali - 1 Lb. Bag
    Colombian Premium Huila Valencia - 1Lb bag
    Caffeinated Coffee Sampler Pack (CSP1)
    Costa Rican Tarrazu Fruta de Oro - 1 lb. bag
    Well see how it goes!!!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: Took the roasting plunge

I did this myself a few months ago. I've really enjoyed it as a hobby. Single origin coffee is an entirely different beast from blended coffee, though. It's less about smooth, balanced coffee, and more about what unique notes you can pull from each different bean. I hope you're enjoying it.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

Hot air poppers are a great way to start. I burned up two of them I roasted so much...then I burned up two smaller bean roasters Roasting a half cup or so of beans at a time will get tiresome if you go through as much coffee as we do. I ended up getting a Hottop roaster about 8+ years ago..and it is still going strong. Some people are scared off by the high sticker price but when I look at the replacement rate of what I was doing, it ends up being cheaper in the long run.

Twerking ain't for Smurfs Packerjh's Avatar

Good for you! I love my FreshRoast 500...I just roasted some Columbian The other day...yummy!
    Just one little Smurf against the world....I feel sorry for you World! BOOM, suckas!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
    Hot air poppers are a great way to start. I burned up two of them I roasted so much...then I burned up two smaller bean roasters Roasting a half cup or so of beans at a time will get tiresome if you go through as much coffee as we do. I ended up getting a Hottop roaster about 8+ years ago..and it is still going strong. Some people are scared off by the high sticker price but when I look at the replacement rate of what I was doing, it ends up being cheaper in the long run.
    That hottop is no joke...

I do have the first generation unit which didn't have all the features they do now, but since I'm not super fanatical about roasting to the second at a certain temp for certain beans, it does a good job for me.

I was speaking to the US rep, he was the one who figured how old my unit is going by when the second generation came out. He seemed shocked it is still going strong after the many hundreds of pounds I have roasted. He also told me they are working on a one pound unit...I think that will be my next roaster. I DID however buy a back up board & control panel for my old machine in case something happens before the one pounder hits the market.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBehr View Post
    Just ordered a bunch of Green Coffee Beans, Hot air popper, and Grinder!!!!

Indonesian Org. Balinese Blue Moon -1 Lb. bag
    100% Premium Hawaiian; Red Maui Kaanpali - 1 Lb. Bag
    Colombian Premium Huila Valencia - 1Lb bag
    Caffeinated Coffee Sampler Pack (CSP1)
    Costa Rican Tarrazu Fruta de Oro - 1 lb. bag
    Well see how it goes!!!!
    Where do you buy beans from? Just curious.