Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Coffee press broke..."Keurig!" says girlfriend...

This is a discussion on Coffee press broke..."Keurig!" says girlfriend... within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; So my coffee press broke this morning...epic sadface, but good thing it was a Saturday. So my girlfriend went out ...

Full grown Puffer Fish bigLuke5595's Avatar

Coffee press broke..."Keurig!" says girlfriend...

So my coffee press broke this morning...epic sadface, but good thing it was a Saturday. So my girlfriend went out shopping today and came back with a, to my horror, a Keurig; I'm not opposed to the idea, you just can't beat fresh pressed coffee IMPO. She says that she wants to keep it so I figured I would look around and find the best K Cups I could find. To my surprise, Death Wish and Valhalla Blend both make K cups! Woo! I was wondering, what is your guys favorite Keurig cup???

Puffer Fish with some spikes cutpaperglue's Avatar

Re: Coffee press broke..."Keurig!" says girlfriend...

Maybe look into getting one of these or similar product so you can still enjoy the fresh ground coffee of your choice with the Keurig machine?

Solofill K3 GOLD CUP 24K Plated Refillable Filter Cup for Coffee Pod: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Present and Accounted

I came into the kcup world kicking and screaming. I use the reusable filters and my own coffee and have grown very fond of the machine. Good coffee only a minute away from being ready.

Full grown Puffer Fish bigLuke5595's Avatar

thanks guys, I will use these tips for sure!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish anthony d's Avatar

During the week when I am on my way into work I use the Keurig, and on the weekends when I have more time I use a press.

I like the bold, dark roast flavors for the k-cup, like Tully's Italian Roast, or the Starbucks Sumatra.
    Hmm...

Dogs welcome, people.... Mokano's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anthony d View Post
    I like the bold, dark roast flavors for the k-cup, like Tully's Italian Roast, or the Starbucks Sumatra.
    I'll add Green Mountain Dark Magic to that list. Here's their marketing blurb: "Dark Magic Extra Bold exudes spellbinding complexity, crafted for sweet and intense espresso. Excellent as a drip coffee too! Fresh from the roaster®."

I have one of the original minis at work. I'll manipulate strength by reducing the water I put thru the machine. But I'm a latte/cappuccino drinker so I've a little more room to play to get a drinkable cup.

Quote Originally Posted by scrouds View Post
    I came into the kcup world kicking and screaming. I use the reusable filters and my own coffee and have grown very fond of the machine. Good coffee only a minute away from being ready.
    Thread is a bit old and sorry to hijack your thread Luke (although I'll add my current favorite k-cup next to make up for it) but I had zero luck getting any strength of coffee using these things (including some of the tips I've seen online about cutting out a used k-cup to force the water through the ground). Any tips on stronger coffee Will?

As for my favorite k-cup right now, I'm drinking San Francisco Bay French Roast. Nice strong flavor and a good tasting brew. Great for that kick in the morning.

Present and Accounted

Small grind is the main way to get a decently strong cup along with reusable cups that won't let the water run out and over. I've had great success pulling a cup with moderate compression of th coffee in the cup. An espresso grind is a little fine but can work well, don't compress too much or you won't get coffee. Make sure when you seal up the cup that the edges are clean, gaps will let water overflow.

Present and Accounted

Small grind is the main way to get a decently strong cup along with reusable cups that won't let the water run out and over. I've had great success pulling a cup with moderate compression of th coffee in the cup. An espresso grind is a little fine but can work well, don't compress too much or you won't get coffee. Make sure when you seal up the cup that the edges are clean, gaps will let water overflow.

K cups are a convenient way to get a mediocre beverage. Avoid!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Senor_Perfecto View Post
    K cups are a convenient way to get a mediocre beverage. Avoid!

Amen! Fight the power!
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

As a guy who has a B150 commercial model (for the Mrs.) sitting in his kitchen as I type this, if your looking for a quality cup of coffee....stay away from Keurig.

I work on these, and every other make/model commercial coffee and espresso machine out there for a living. Keurig is quick, its affordable, it presents no waste (single cup not a pot), and is o.k. if like most Americans you load up with Sugar and Creamer.

But if you truly enjoy quality, its not possible with one of these.

Roast and Ground coffee specifically roasted for brew is not designed to release a proper extraction in less than 30 seconds. Espresso beans are roasted differently, and espresso has 2 functions water temperature, and pump pressure. keurig's have what amounts to a fish tank style air pump that will push water and a tad of air at end to clear lines. But does not even come close to the 10 bar of pressure pushing thru a portafilter to make an espresso.
    For standard brew coffee, the better and more modern coffee machine utilize a pre-wet of the grounds followed by a pause of of minute or two depending on batch size, to allow the grounds to warm up and start releasing their awesome goodness. Followed by water pulsed over the grounds to allow the water to run thru without flooding the brew basket. This slower brew style creates a more balanced, flavorful cup of coffee. This simply cannot be done in a Keurig in less than a minute. The grounds are not even releasing well yet by the time the machine is done brewing. Want to test it, brew a standard k-cup into a clear glass mug or mason jar. It will look like tea water. You think most coffee cups are white inside for cleanliness? . Makes the coffee appear darker and richer.
    Your french press has time for stir, and set for 3-5 minutes for proper extraction before plungering. Using a medium-coarse grind and 195' f. quality water creates a wonderful cup of coffee.
    I could get all geeked out on ya, going over grind size, surface tension of the water across the grind, etc. but that would require charts, time, and a bunch of boring stuff.

Bottom line, if you really LIKE coffee, keep the Keurig for the mrs. And get yourself another french press.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmyer View Post
    Bottom line, if you really LIKE coffee, keep the Keurig for the mrs. And get yourself another french press.
    Agreed. I've had many a Keurig coffee at my sister's place. I consider it the best instant coffee you can get... but I don't generally want instant coffee. Love my french press - makes great coffee and I will drink it all myself in the morning. I drink all my coffee & tea black - a good cup really shines and there's nothing for a bad cup to hide behind.

That said, I think they have their purpose. She loves it - one cup is all she will drink, and with the milk and sugar it's just as good as any other coffee she gets. Plus it helps for her rushing around, barely-make-it-on-time mornings.