Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

This is a discussion on Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..." within the Coffee Discussion forums, part of the Coffee Forums category; ...

Leading Puffer Fish

Re: Identify yourself: "I roast, therefore, I am..."

[SIZE=3]Hello Coffee Forum Gorillas,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Im usually on the other side of the board here, but will probably be hanging out more on this side now. Today, I won myself a Hearthware Precision Roaster Model 40006 on E**y and am quite excited about my new purchase[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]In 1984 while living in Las Vegas, a summer trip to Mr. Sweenys coffee shop hooked me into grinding fresh roasted coffee beans. Sweeny used to be a master roaster for a large commercial coffee company and retired into owning his own business. Well, after spending a few hours with Sweeny and receiving a small 3 unit course lecture in coffee, I walked away with a pound of Panama and Guatemala beans, and a Krups grinder to start enjoying (may it rest in peace as I lost her in 2007).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The roaster I won has one little hitch. The unit itself has never been used and was a display unit only in a coffee shop. The glass roasting chamber incurred a small crack in it at some point in time. My hope is to possibly make an attempt to repair the glass chamber as one would repair a car windshield that has a small hairline crack. If for some reason that attempt fails, then I will need to search around for a glass roasting chamber replacement for this model.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Once repairs are made and the roaster is up and running, Im planning to start in on some Costa Rican and Guatemalan varietals. To date, Ive simply been enjoying varieties of roasted coffee beans from my local Trader Joes, which I usually make via my Melita one-cupper or the Bodum 32 ouncer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]But, its now time to roll-up my sleeves and jump into home coffee roasting. Thanks for having me on-board everyone[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
    [SIZE=3]Hello Coffee Forum Gorillas,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Im usually on the other side of the board here, but will probably be hanging out more on this side now. Today, I won myself a Hearthware Precision Roaster Model 40006 on E**y and am quite excited about my new purchase[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]In 1984 while living in Las Vegas, a summer trip to Mr. Sweenys coffee shop hooked me into grinding fresh roasted coffee beans. Sweeny used to be a master roaster for a large commercial coffee company and retired into owning his own business. Well, after spending a few hours with Sweeny and receiving a small 3 unit course lecture in coffee, I walked away with a pound of Panama and Guatemala beans, and a Krups grinder to start enjoying (may it rest in peace as I lost her in 2007).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]The roaster I won has one little hitch. The unit itself has never been used and was a display unit only in a coffee shop. The glass roasting chamber incurred a small crack in it at some point in time. My hope is to possibly make an attempt to repair the glass chamber as one would repair a car windshield that has a small hairline crack. If for some reason that attempt fails, then I will need to search around for a glass roasting chamber replacement for this model.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Once repairs are made and the roaster is up and running, Im planning to start in on some Costa Rican and Guatemalan varietals. To date, Ive simply been enjoying varieties of roasted coffee beans from my local Trader Joes, which I usually make via my Melita one-cupper or the Bodum 32 ouncer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]But, its now time to roll-up my sleeves and jump into home coffee roasting. Thanks for having me on-board everyone[/SIZE]
    Close, so close, not-roaster. A smear of JB Weld?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    A smear of JB Weld?
    [SIZE=3]I'll have to check into that. Hardware store?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
    [SIZE=3]I'll have to check into that. Hardware store?[/SIZE]
    Yes, yes, the hardware store. Or check in the junk drawer by the washing machine.

Welcome Mark.

JB weld or a two part epoxy would probably work for the crack if you can't/don't want to find a replacement.

SS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leading Puffer Fish

Yes, yes, the hardware store. Or check in the junk drawer by the washing machine.
    [SIZE=3]I was wonderin' where I kept the stuff at. Found it![/SIZE]
    Part No. 8265-S

Quote Originally Posted by SSatVT View Post
    Welcome Mark.

JB weld or a two part epoxy would probably work for the crack if you can't/don't want to find a replacement.

SS
    [SIZE=3]Thank you SS...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Moo-ism translator, Esq

Quote Originally Posted by EvanS View Post
    UPDATE!! again

The names Evan...EvanS

Roaster - FreshRoast 8 Plus
    Grinder (Primary) - GOT Rancilio Rocky Doserless
    Grinder (Backup) - Cuisinart Burr CCM16
    Drip (Primary, for wife) - Cuisinart Brew Central 12-cup
    Drip (backup) - Free Gevalia 12-cup
    Press - Bodum 32oz and 48 oz.
    Mokapot - 3 cupper (and the reason for the need of new grinder)
    Attitude - Better and better all the time
    Disposition - Still Questionable

Been roasting using the FR8 for about 1 month, which equals 3 lbs worth of 1/2 lb samples. So far so good! Saw the Cuisinart Burr getting sloppy, both silting my press pot and putting chunks in my Mokapot, so pulled the trigger on a Rocky just last night. Learning just how quickly the start of 2nd crack turns into the end of 2nd crack.
    Threw the mokapot soooo far that it landed at smokehouse's place and built an SC/CO. I call it much more than a fair trade-off
    Reserved for future use....

- Hardcz - Dan

Roaster - popcorn popper that don't work too well...
    Grinder - some kind of whirly grinder
    Drip - Keurig special edition one with chrome and blue leds
    Press - Bodum French Press (32 oz), Aeropress
    Attitude - frusterated...
    Disposition - frantic...

Been trying to roast but have issues.....roaster just don't seem to be getting hot enough...everything should be right but it's not working....hopefully with me shipping it off to another bolt...or botc or whatever you call yourselves it'll be figured out.

Dan

Why do I gotta be Mr Pink dgold21's Avatar

Name:David - dgold21
    Experience: Couldn't be more of a newb, first roast last night
    Roaster: I-Roast 2
    Grinder: Capresso burr...due for an update
    Press: Bodum
    Espresso Machines: Capresso C1300 super-auto and an older Starbucks Barista

Got the roaster as a birthday gift last week, along with some Sumatra organic beans...well, I just completed an order with Sweet Marias for another 6 lbs, inlcuding the sampler...plus some bags. The slope just grabbed me from outta nowhere!

Quote Originally Posted by dgold21 View Post
    Name:David - dgold21
    Experience: Couldn't be more of a newb, first roast last night
    Roaster: I-Roast 2
    Grinder: Capresso burr...due for an update
    Press: Bodum
    Espresso Machines: Capresso C1300 super-auto and an older Starbucks Barista

Got the roaster as a birthday gift last week, along with some Sumatra organic beans...well, I just completed an order with Sweet Marias for another 6 lbs, inlcuding the sampler...plus some bags. The slope just grabbed me from outta nowhere!
    Welcome to the fraternity of homeroasters, David. I hope you find great pleasure in the process and the results.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcz View Post
    - Hardcz - Dan

Roaster - popcorn popper that don't work too well...
    Attitude - frusterated...
    Disposition - frantic...

Been trying to roast but have issues.....roaster just don't seem to be getting hot enough...everything should be right but it's not working....hopefully with me shipping it off to another bolt...or botc or whatever you call yourselves it'll be figured out.

Dan

It showed up tonight. Now I got chaff in my hair, on my shirt and all over the car. The garage smells like a coffee roasting operation. That little old WestBend sucker works like a champ with no extension cord. I ran about 6-oz of green Nic to full city in about seven minutes, stirring with a bamboo skewer for a while or keeping the roaster tipped backwards about 10* to keep the beans tumbling. Tumble they did. I took the paper off your can before roasting and set it in with the raw edge facing up - nice gravity fit!

Returning the box with the roast and a couple of hitch hikers.

Thanks for the stroll down Popper-memory Lane; been years since I roasted with a popper. Flawless little machine, H'z.

It showed up tonight. Now I got chaff in my hair, on my shirt and all over the car. The garage smells like a coffee roasting operation. That little old WestBend sucker works like a champ with no extension cord. I ran about 6-oz of green Nic to full city in about seven minutes, stirring with a bamboo skewer for a while or keeping the roaster tipped backwards about 10* to keep the beans tumbling. Tumble they did. I took the paper off your can before roasting and set it in with the raw edge facing up - nice gravity fit!

Returning the box with the roast and a couple of hitch hikers.

Thanks for the stroll down Popper-memory Lane; been years since I roasted with a popper. Flawless little machine, H'z.
    Dang Dan... very cool to hear... wonder what my deal is, maybe it's that run in the garage, I'll have to try the one on the front porch to see if it does any better. I'm puzzled to why it's not hitting in my garage like it did with you. Thanks a million for testing it though

Puffer Fish with some spikes Buddha024's Avatar

Hi everyone. Newbie roaster here. Just wanted to say hi. I have only done 2 roasts so far. I am using the popcorn popper method. I hate to say it, but it almost seems too easy. I'm sure my roasts aren't that great, but I have really enjoyed drinking them, so whatever. Anyway, I'm working my way through my Sweet Maria's sampler to get an idea of what I prefer and will order next time. I think the Ethiopian Organic has been my favorite so far. I use a french press (don't know the brand) and a cheapie grinder for now. My birthday is in 2 weeks and I am hoping to get a Zassenhaus.

[SIZE="3"]
    Congratulations on your first roast(s) and you seem to be off to a good start. You are right, roasting does not have to be difficult, but you do need to be diligent. I am of the belief that if you enjoy your cup, then you have done it right ! You have hit on the two most critical factors in brewing your roasts; that being a good grinder (Happy Birthday) and a French press. (produces a wonderful brew).

Exploring the world's coffees is that most exciting part of this hobby/craft/obsession/addiction...HA!

Welcome
    'da Cat
    [/SIZE]

Moo-ism translator, Esq

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha024 View Post
    I'm sure my roasts aren't that great, but I have really enjoyed drinking them,
    Contradiction right off the bat. Moo is gonna love having a pet like you.

Nice work on the roasting. Keep at it and welcome to the club. No going back now...and I doubt you would if you could
    Reserved for future use....

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast